Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Jul 2003, 16:07 (Ref:674421)   #1
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kangaroo TV

I'm just wondering if anyone here has tried this, and what they think?

I heard about last year, and thought it sounded neat. This year in Toronto I saw some of the tents advertising it, but didn't see anyone using one. Supposedly they were a huge hit though...didn't see any media with one though.

For those that don't know what I'm talking about...this is the company's description:

"The Kangaroo production unit will broadcast event-specific content to the onsite spectator, who will choose their favorite views of the race, have access to on-board or pit cameras, as well as real-time driver standings, replays and interviews. In addition to unique live audiovisuals, Kangaroo will provide access to rich interactive content including the event program in electronic format, wide-ranging information on drivers, teams, rules and regulations, event results, and landmarks, as well as points of interest of the host city, a site map, a list of exhibitors, access routes and event scheduling."

does it do all that the company says? how much did it cost you? any problems? is it worth it? just wondering...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 29 Jul 2003, 17:38 (Ref:674494)   #2
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw a ton of them being used at Long Beach and Laguna Seca. No experience with them tho. I wanted to rent one, but I was with friends at both events. Kangaroo TV requires you put a headset on, which alienates you from the people around you.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 18:06 (Ref:674518)   #3
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I saw one photographer using it, he demo'ed it for me, if I had the $65 for the weekend rental I'd have marched over to their sign-out area immediately.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 30 Jul 2003, 00:13 (Ref:674825)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I object to the use of Kangaroo!
Old 30 Jul 2003, 02:33 (Ref:674865)   #5
PatsFan32
Rookie

PatsFan32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had one at Vancouver. I thought they were great. You get to take it home with you to recharge it overnight. It shows 3 different camera angles, and replays, as well as the schedule, map of the track, and the positions the drivers are in. We rented it for the weekend for $45.

You don't have to use the headset with it, because you can still hear the action without the headset on.

~PF32
Old 30 Jul 2003, 02:54 (Ref:674879)   #6
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had one of these at Laguna Seca (yes I was there, believe it or not), and I thought they were pretty sweet. Since I was standing out by 8A most of the time I couldn't see much of the track but the Kangaroo made it easy for me to keep track on what was going on. The best thing about it was that not only did it have timing for the Champ Cars but they had it for all the support races as well, and at Laguna that was really useful. I paid a bit extra for the scanner but it didn't work, though the staff there were rather nice and refunded the difference. I would definitely recommend it for road courses but not ovals.
Old 30 Jul 2003, 03:03 (Ref:674882)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cool...sounds like a great tool for in the grandstand or GA!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 30 Jul 2003, 10:32 (Ref:675117)   #8
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
more here:
http://www.kangaroo.tv/media/kangaro...onal_video.htm