Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 30 Sep 2007, 15:04 (Ref:2026964)   #26
Gaelic Legendia
Rookie

Gaelic Legendia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I do believe A1 is gradually getting near to living up to it's title of "World Cup of Motorsport", but still is a bit to go. The driving quality we see on the circuit has improved, but one area where a clear improvement exists is the teams themselves, who are making the field closer and closer. All we need is Ireland to get a win now...

I think it has to an entent went a way to capturing the nations, partcularly with motorsport-mad Holland, and the large Lebanese community on the internet. But certain countries that SHOULD be there with ardent simply are not, with the likes of Italy and Germany having a smaller degree of active support that we see on raceday (and the smaller internet communities- TV issues in these countries is a problem). I do like seeing Alex Yoong and Narian Karthikeyan in A1GP, which is a positive step in names entering the series.

One thing we can take is that the series future looks quite a bit more secure, this time last year (after a quiet summer), rumours we still flying all over the place about it's viability. It has been handled better since Maktoum stood down last year, which the series really wanting to connect with it's growing fanbase.

It really was a great race today with quite a bit of overtaking. Let's hope Brno can still up a more interesting weekend than last year.

The television issue is still a serious concern though- while in the UK Five still appear to be committed to showing highlights, they are at early morning times, hardly good for it's exposure. If this was fixed (and the continued success of GBR would help in our case), a whole new audience would appear. Sure, we would still have critics opposing the setup, but to each their own.
A1 has been a success so far to many followers from the earlu days, but the challenge is not to keep with the status quo, but to brand it better where need be (the long-going issue of Canada and it's TV coverage), a little more big named appearences (grab the neutral fan's attention... all been said before, but very true for A1GP to ensure it set's out to accomplish it's goal as the World Cup of Motorsport.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 12:03 (Ref:2028850)   #27
ISPL
Rookie

United Kingdom
ISPL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I think back to the first ever A1 GP at Brands I can't help but be a little dissapointed about how the series has (or hasn't taken) off. The concept was excellent. Some of the racing has been fantastic, but the TV coverage has meant that the series will never fulfil it's potential. If anything the series 'brand value' has dipped not grown.

I think this is evidenced by the fact that those drivers who have won the series don't stay aroud to defend their title, but see A1 as a stepping stone to other (not even necessarily better) things.

Great concept, but another season without mainstream TV coverage could signal the end of any hope of making it the success it once promised.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 12:57 (Ref:2028894)   #28
nicorossi
Rookie

nicorossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not too keen on this 2x mandatory pitstop business - keep the racing on the circuit! The engines should stay the same however, they sound pretty good and they're more than powerful enough to have a good sensation of speed and kick the back end out from time to time.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 13:08 (Ref:2028912)   #29
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was sitting watching the last race and found myself bored so started posting here with the race on in the background half expecting to turn around when some action started. Here's the thing I didn't turn around.

I love most motorsport but find myself questioning why it didn't inspire me to watch. Does anyone else feel like this or is it just me. Please be honest, it's an honest question.

Last edited by NAC; 2 Oct 2007 at 13:11.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 13:18 (Ref:2028918)   #30
Olive
Rookie

United Kingdom
Olive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a lot of good, close racing in A1GP, and I say that having watched every race since it started.
Old 2 Oct 2007, 15:01 (Ref:2028996)   #31
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I watched the opening race of A1 GP this year and once again I was impressed, good close clean racing with some good drivers, particularly at the front of the field. That said im still looking forward to seeing the new cars next year, at times on certain high speed circuits they do seem a little down on power. Providing they get a car that still allows overtaking but has a bit more power then I think the future is looking good for A1 GP. Will it challenge F1 in terms of popularity? Probably not, it could get to a similar status to say WSBK or say as popular as Champcar/IRL is in the US though. IMO.
Old 3 Oct 2007, 03:05 (Ref:2029512)   #32
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Feature race from Zandvoort wasn't the most thrilling A1GP has ever had, and not as good as last year's race, but I still found it very entertaining. I find myself doing something else while F1 is on these days (Japanese and European GP aside). The TV director didn't do a great job, they concentrated on the group with the Netherlands in it but didn't show much of the Indonesia vs Canada battle etc.
Old 3 Oct 2007, 05:26 (Ref:2029556)   #33
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry guys I should clarify what i ment. I agree some of the races have been fantastic. What i was refering to was the TV coverage
Old 3 Oct 2007, 10:06 (Ref:2029712)   #34
ford prefect
Racer

United Kingdom
Wellingborough
ford prefect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoy A1GP, having followed it from inception to the current season.

Zandvoort was more entertaining than some of this years F1 and far more action packed than GP2 finale.

I agree with previous comments re TV coverage, something needs to be done, Sky is too limited a market, however I can't really see an alternative.

The cars are there to race rather than win a beauty contest.
Old 3 Oct 2007, 10:52 (Ref:2029754)   #35
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
The TV director didn't do a great job, they concentrated on the group with the Netherlands in it but didn't show much of the Indonesia vs Canada battle etc.
There was an Indonesia vs Canada battle? I never would have known, well, except maybe for the few minutes that live timing was up.
Old 3 Oct 2007, 22:48 (Ref:2030347)   #36
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever the perceived problems with A1GP, it's good to see they are asking fans how they can make it better: received an email from A1 yesterday asking for fans' opinions on what they think of the series, racing and TV coverage. If anyone else was invited into this survey I suggest you make your feelings known...
Old 3 Oct 2007, 23:05 (Ref:2030362)   #37
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
Whatever the perceived problems with A1GP, it's good to see they are asking fans how they can make it better: received an email from A1 yesterday asking for fans' opinions on what they think of the series, racing and TV coverage. If anyone else was invited into this survey I suggest you make your feelings known...
How did you get a copy? Where can I get one from?

Ta