Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 30 Nov 2011, 14:02 (Ref:2993491)   #976
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
Coverage by whom?

Daytona still gets coverage in the Major newspaper here, Sebring does not, nor has it for decades.

For at least the past few years, USA Today has had coverage for the entire week leading up to Sebring.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2993572)   #977
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
For at least the past few years, USA Today has had coverage for the entire week leading up to Sebring.
While I'm not a USA Today reader generally, I found that was very helpful in '05 when I didn't get to the track until Saturday morning, and while eating breakfast at McDonald's I read about qualifying (in what I believe was USA Today). The thing that stands out to me most in my memory was a small 4"x4" picture of the ACEMCO Saleen in what I believe was wet conditions. (Though that is purely off of memory.)

It would seem to me Level 5 are leaning towards the ALMS, as opposed to confirming their presence on the grid. The ALMS seems to make more sense for them but they want to have competition. This Dagys article is probably a good thing as if there are other entries "thinking" about the ALMS and worried about a lack of competition, perhaps this spurs them on to close the deal.

Chris
Old 30 Nov 2011, 18:40 (Ref:2993584)   #978
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know of a 2011 team which is considering the jump to LMP2 for 2012, but haven't heard any hard and fast facts about how likely, or not, that will end up being.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2993606)   #979
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So the solid rumours are -

P1
1x Muscle Milk HPD
2x Dyson Lola-Mazda (a thrid car is 50/50)

P2
1(2)x Level 5 HPD
1x OAK-Nissan
1x Lola-Honda (news apparently came from HPD themselves)

No idea were anymore P1's would come from, extra P2 entrants is guess work too, in a worst case scenraio P2 would be a replay of 2011.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 19:36 (Ref:2993614)   #980
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
^JAG, there are at least 2 teams trying out the OAK chassis at Sebring on Monday apparently.

Some random thoughts:

This off season has way more to talk about than last year, last year we were worried about the series' survival due to the lack of manufacturers and media package. Although there are still a lot of problems, there seems to be a lot more buzz regarding entries.

Robertsons and Rocketsports appear to be done.

Although I don't care about the Challenge classes, it is nice to see confirmed entries. Those are folks who could potentially move up the ladder in the future. (Core is rumoured to be moving to P2 in 2013, Black Swan rumoured to be moving up for 2012, Ende moving up to LMPC from GTC as a driver as well).
Old 30 Nov 2011, 19:57 (Ref:2993625)   #981
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.americanlemans.com/primary1.php?cat=news|16438
In Muscle Milk Pickett's latest interview, they say that they'll make the announcement within a few weeks, but they don't want to spoil anything yet. They will be back and will have a "bigger on-track presence in the ALMS in 2012"
Old 30 Nov 2011, 20:01 (Ref:2993631)   #982
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post

No idea were anymore P1's would come from, extra P2 entrants is guess work too, in a worst case scenraio P2 would be a replay of 2011.
Autocon might be back in P1, I supposse...
Old 30 Nov 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2993638)   #983
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
http://www.americanlemans.com/primary1.php?cat=news|16438
In Muscle Milk Pickett's latest interview, they say that they'll make the announcement within a few weeks, but they don't want to spoil anything yet. They will be back and will have a "bigger on-track presence in the ALMS in 2012"
Wonder if they'll be at Sebring on Monday???
Old 30 Nov 2011, 20:26 (Ref:2993646)   #984
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Robertsons and Rocketsports appear to be done.
The Robertsons I knew were in trouble, and while Andrea certainly wants to return, I have no idea where the money would come from. So I doubt they'll be back.

As far as RSR is concerned, what's stopping them? I don't know how much they actually relied on Jaguar funding to be on the ALMS grid, so if Paul Gentilozzi wants to come back I don't why he wouldn't.

Chris
Old 30 Nov 2011, 20:29 (Ref:2993650)   #985
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post

As far as RSR is concerned, what's stopping them? I don't know how much they actually relied on Jaguar funding to be on the ALMS grid, so if Paul Gentilozzi wants to come back I don't why he wouldn't.

Chris
They are debating waiting on the new Jag to return when it is ready rather than continuing to develop the dogs. Talking to one of the drivers at PLM, there is very little money for development, hence the continued engine problems.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 21:58 (Ref:2993685)   #986
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Following Dagys, he suggested we might have 4-5 LMP2's, which at the high end would be higher than the LMP1 count. I'd suggest the maximum # of P1's is going to be four, that seems to be 2 Dyson, 1 Cytosport, and equal odds on a 3rd rental Dyson or Autocon.

If I were a betting person, I'd suggest that P2 entries were compromised of Level 5 x 2, the Lola Coupe Honda being Dempsey (just speculation) and then from there the other cars being discussed are the Radical, the Cup of Soup and Reality TV racing. Frankly I don't give much more than 30% that any one of the final three will make the grid, but I'd be happy to be wrong.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 22:46 (Ref:2993710)   #987
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Plus who knows where Black Swan will end up, if anywhere? They have said they are looking at other classes.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 00:06 (Ref:2993734)   #988
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oak are pretty insistent they'll have a customer ALMS P2 in 2012, they're also looking to set-up a shop/distributer in NA.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 02:51 (Ref:2993774)   #989
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Wonder if they'll be at Sebring on Monday???
No. They've already decided on their program and it doesn't involve an OAK-Pescarolo P2 car.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 04:23 (Ref:2993788)   #990
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Following Dagys, he suggested we might have 4-5 LMP2's, which at the high end would be higher than the LMP1 count. I'd suggest the maximum # of P1's is going to be four, that seems to be 2 Dyson, 1 Cytosport, and equal odds on a 3rd rental Dyson or Autocon.

If I were a betting person, I'd suggest that P2 entries were compromised of Level 5 x 2, the Lola Coupe Honda being Dempsey (just speculation) and then from there the other cars being discussed are the Radical, the Cup of Soup and Reality TV racing. Frankly I don't give much more than 30% that any one of the final three will make the grid, but I'd be happy to be wrong.
I know Dempsey needs a coupe and is aiming to get to Le Mans, but wouldn't buying an HPD rub Mazda the wrong way? Or does his stature bring with it willfull blindness from small Japanese manufacturers? (Only half-joking with that question.)

Chris
Old 1 Dec 2011, 07:10 (Ref:2993809)   #991
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
I know Dempsey needs a coupe and is aiming to get to Le Mans, but wouldn't buying an HPD rub Mazda the wrong way? Or does his stature bring with it willfull blindness from small Japanese manufacturers? (Only half-joking with that question.)

Chris
I don't believe there is a Mazda P2 engine... so...
Old 1 Dec 2011, 07:29 (Ref:2993819)   #992
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What about Mountune's Ford Duratec? Perhaps that is closer to a Mazda MZR than the AER MZR-R! Just rebadge the name and you'd have a Mazda P2!
Old 1 Dec 2011, 15:39 (Ref:2994016)   #993
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Could the Dyson Lola's be converted back to LMP2 regs? They have had a great track record of selling their cars to teams the race them in the ALMS.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 18:40 (Ref:2994070)   #994
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
My contention is Mazda would be far happier putting their stickers on a Lola that has a Judd in the back, for some reason. However, if an HPD Coupe is coming to the ALMS and we think Dempsey is too, it only makes sense.

Chris
Old 1 Dec 2011, 18:48 (Ref:2994076)   #995
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not sure about Dempsey coming to ALMS at all as a driver... all the P2-rumors had him in a car for WEC and then there was this on the official Rolex Series twitter page today:

Quote:
More from PRI: @GoDempseyRacing will have @jfoster4055 and Dempsey in No. 40 w/ Tom Long filling in for Dempsey. Espenlaub/Putman in No. 41
That sounds pretty much like a full-season Dempsey Racing effort in GA to me, otherwise they wouldn't need a fill-in.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 21:36 (Ref:2994134)   #996
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yep. If Mazda had a P2 engine, Dempsey would be in the ALMS.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 22:33 (Ref:2994150)   #997
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Yep. If Mazda had a P2 engine, Dempsey would be in the WEC.
There, fixed it for you!
Old 1 Dec 2011, 22:55 (Ref:2994160)   #998
JAG
Veteran

England
Mazda have had a P2 engine on the test bench for the past two years but not given the go ahead, Dempsey said he wants to run with them, but will go with an alternative. The other week in an E.I interview he said he's interested in the WEC and wants to run at Silverstone etc.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 23:03 (Ref:2994163)   #999
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure Dempsey has a lot of time commitments. For example, he was at the LA Auto Show showing off the new Mazda models. Would he even have time to do a full WEC? Maybe a race or two as a third driver, but I don't know how that would work.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 23:57 (Ref:2994184)   #1000
JAG
Veteran

England
In the interview he mentioned he'd take his family with him and schedule film commintments around, sounded like he's giving a greater priority to his racing and building the team.