Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 3 Apr 2012, 14:39 (Ref:3052917)   #2151
merlot brougham
Racer

United States
Chapel Hill
merlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmerlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has been hard for me to stomach Tucker and Level 5 all along. Picchiofan put it very, very well as far as the competition aspect goes. The guy is gutless, doing a bait and switch on people who are already in financial dire straits. Then he competes in motorsports the most unfair and dishonorable fashion possible.

I go to Sebring and PLM every year and his pit setup is just crazy. And all the guys he employs look like they are getting paid back for protection they gave him in his previous stint in the clink. In the short term I hope ALMS can absorb this hit to the P2 ranks. In the long term I hope someone with more credibility and honor can buy his stuff at gov't auction and go racing with it. But overall I think this happening and Level 5 being gone gives the series more credibility.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 14:43 (Ref:3052919)   #2152
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
..and to think it has been suggested that Tucker was in talks to actually buy the series last year...
Old 3 Apr 2012, 14:46 (Ref:3052921)   #2153
merlot brougham
Racer

United States
Chapel Hill
merlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmerlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
..and to think it has been suggested that Tucker was in talks to actually buy the series last year...
Oh man, I never heard that one....
Old 3 Apr 2012, 15:53 (Ref:3052954)   #2154
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have to imagine that Mr Tucker knew this day was coming at some point. So I am a bit surprised he didn't divert his assets to somebody else or some other entity that would protect them from when the feds come a knockin.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 16:27 (Ref:3052968)   #2155
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I have to imagine that Mr Tucker knew this day was coming at some point. So I am a bit surprised he didn't divert his assets to somebody else or some other entity that would protect them from when the feds come a knockin.

If you read through the court documents, you will see that he was diverting money out of companies. $40 million to Level 5, millions to his wife, brother, and a number of other people whom ended up becoming defendents in this as well. All of the entities were targeted for seizure in the court document.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 16:36 (Ref:3052972)   #2156
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
If you read through the court documents, you will see that he was diverting money out of companies. $40 million to Level 5, millions to his wife, brother, and a number of other people whom ended up becoming defendents in this as well. All of the entities were targeted for seizure in the court document.
Too bad he didn't hand out money to race fans during the ALMS autograph sessions too!
Old 3 Apr 2012, 16:37 (Ref:3052973)   #2157
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Too bad he didn't hand out money to race fans during the ALMS autograph sessions too!
Except then we might all be defendants.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 16:38 (Ref:3052974)   #2158
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Hopefully none of the other drivers were involved. Things could have got SO messy for the ALMS if Tucker had taken the reigns.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 16:54 (Ref:3052987)   #2159
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently on the individual level he is a bit of an SOB if that wasn't obvious from his, shall we say, sporting tendencies. That is second hand information as I avoided contact with him when I was in the paddock.

And to picchiofan, I thought his SCCA Porsche was a Turbo (ex-WC). He does have an 09 GT3 Cup too. Damn shame for the load of good people he employed as they will have to search for new opportunities (of which there are few).

Chris
Old 3 Apr 2012, 22:11 (Ref:3053181)   #2160
speeddemon787
Rookie

speeddemon787 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
33 cars will be at the ALMS Long Beach race minus the two Level 5 LMP2 cars.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 23:30 (Ref:3053218)   #2161
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
surely space for a Radical now, eh Ian?
Old 4 Apr 2012, 00:49 (Ref:3053232)   #2162
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sad to see because by now Level 5 had turned itself into one of the top 2 or 3 P2 teams in the world. Can't say we didn't expect it though and it is one less moral dilemma us ALMS fans will have to deal with when we support the series. Not surprising but still disappointing. Surprised not to see Dagys with an article on the issue yet.

On a side note I wonder with three spaces now open (NGT + 2 Level 5) if the teams ALMS had turned away due to paddock space would be allowed in. Doubtful as there is probably not enough time but I'd like to see the ALMS at least try to fill in those final spaces.
Old 4 Apr 2012, 00:58 (Ref:3053233)   #2163
Catingaround
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Catingaround should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonder how long the Level 5 assets will be tied up in a mess like this, quite a bit of equipment that could go towards a new team if this truly is the end for them.
Old 4 Apr 2012, 01:08 (Ref:3053236)   #2164
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Forgive me if this has already been discussed but what happens to the drivers now? Does Bouchut have another drive or is he out a job?
Old 4 Apr 2012, 05:00 (Ref:3053263)   #2165
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For what its worth Level 5 is still on the LBGP entry list.
Old 4 Apr 2012, 05:04 (Ref:3053264)   #2166
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rumor seems to indicate that Mr. Dagys did PR writing for the team on the side, and thus isn't likely to broadcast bad news---at least that's how I understood the rumor.

As for L5 being a top-tier team---cubic dollars can make almost any operation work well: buy what you need, hire who you need. Bernie Madoff Racing would have won a heap of titles too, I'd bet.

Is it bad for a sport when a competitor sets a new record, and then gets busted for using steroids? ALMS has lost a couple cars temporarily. If it is a healthy series ALMS will get those cars back, and many others. If it cannot, it was doomed, Tucker or no. (Hah---Tucker tried to buy the series.)

If ALMS needed illegal funds to prosper, it wasn't really prospering. Glad this happened this season when there are several other P2 cars here or coming. ALMS should still end up better off than last year.
Old 4 Apr 2012, 09:09 (Ref:3053314)   #2167
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
seriously, it would not surprise me to see this start to happen, Ians car is sitting ready and waiting to go, admittedley its not yet built to the new aero regs (fin & holes), which could be the final job stopper, but it could run, it would be interesting to see how it competes against the LMPC's since the old IES Nissan engine was run......... but realistically it would be just making up the numbers........... I'm keen to see how the Roush-Yates V6 turbo performs.

It dosent surprise me whatsoever about the Level 5 organisation going down in flames, no smoke without fire........... people feel the need to slam Ian on this forum, and thats just fine to have a personal opinion in a diplomatic society, but what I will say is Ian is certainly no Scott Tucker.
Old 4 Apr 2012, 10:38 (Ref:3053357)   #2168
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Forgive me if this has already been discussed but what happens to the drivers now? Does Bouchut have another drive or is he out a job?
I'd be guessig they'd be out of job seeing as though the team isnt racing anymore. Shame to see a experienced racer like Bouchut without a drive, he'll probably pick up something fairly quick, although it was great to see him back in an LMP.
Old 4 Apr 2012, 10:52 (Ref:3053364)   #2169
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I'd be guessig they'd be out of job seeing as though the team isnt racing anymore. Shame to see a experienced racer like Bouchut without a drive, he'll probably pick up something fairly quick, although it was great to see him back in an LMP.
Still potentially a few rides available for Le Mans if he moves fast. I know he has a number of fans on the forum but I'm not sure if he is the safest pair of hands to be honest.
Old 4 Apr 2012, 12:26 (Ref:3053411)   #2170
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Doesn't Black Swan lease their car or engine from Level 5? Could this cause problems for that team as well?
I thought they had bought it from level 5 . Sad news for ALMS , but brilliant news for Status GP .
Old 4 Apr 2012, 12:26 (Ref:3053412)   #2171
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Naa , there will be another excuse no doubt . Maybe dawson should make Level 5 an offer , might get a cheap car to fly around the world .
Old 4 Apr 2012, 12:30 (Ref:3053418)   #2172
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
people feel the need to slam Ian on this forum
Actually , Ian does all by himself to be honest ..... way too much cry wolf .
Old 4 Apr 2012, 12:31 (Ref:3053420)   #2173
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Still potentially a few rides available for Le Mans if he moves fast. I know he has a number of fans on the forum but I'm not sure if he is the safest pair of hands to be honest.
Love to see him return to IMSA or Larbre .
Old 4 Apr 2012, 12:48 (Ref:3053437)   #2174
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Looks like Dempsey's plans have been affected very little by the Level 5 announcement, they will still enter selected ALMS races this year with a LMP2 Lola-Judd coupe as preparation for a Le Mans entry next year. Laguna Seca listed as "possible" debut.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98592
Old 4 Apr 2012, 12:51 (Ref:3053439)   #2175
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Looks like Dempsey's plans have been affected very little by the Level 5 announcement, they will still enter selected ALMS races this year with a LMP2 Lola-Judd coupe as preparation for a Le Mans entry next year. Laguna Seca listed as "possible" debut.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98592
Are we sure this is actually *news* and not just a warm up of the original story from a couple of weeks ago?