Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Feb 2011, 13:38 (Ref:2836170)   #1
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SPEED TV Australia Ratings

Interesting to see that after the first eight weeks of ratings not one single Speed TV show has made it into the top 100 pay TV shows in the country.
The most recent ratings were dominated by the AFL pre-season cup and the NRL Charity Shield match at the top but not even Daytona made the list.
With the 100th ranked show attracting 23'000 nationally it means that anything on SPEED is rating even less than that.
The situation is not helped by the fact that SPEED is not seen on AUSTAR but the ratings are Metro only so that shouldn't have that much of an effect.
It would be interesting to see what the top rating offers on SPEED might be.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 15:52 (Ref:2836231)   #2
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It shows that going exclusively Pay TV is a disaster for viewership and sponsorship exposure, a relevant point with the rights shortly up for renewal.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 19:59 (Ref:2836337)   #3
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Wasnt Daytona on One HD?

as you mentioned there is no speed on austrar, please done underestimate country viewers that actually make up a large percentage of motorsport followers
Old 24 Feb 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2836349)   #4
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
I don't have cable so have no idea what has been shown on Speed over the last 8 weeks but at this time of year, maybe not so much live motorsport available as most series are only JUST getting going. Add to this that both Daytona 24 hours (partly) and Daytona 500 were shown on One & I'd wonder what there is to watch on Speed right now that you couldn't see elsewhere? In other words, why watch it?
Old 24 Feb 2011, 20:47 (Ref:2836368)   #5
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought they got 44,000 for the Sunday morning replay of the Abu Dahbi race??

Having the Speed Channel introduced has been the best thing for motorsport on cable IMO. So many times I have gone to watch some races, only to find replays of AFL or NRL games on. Some would say they would have been better off creating two new channels for each football code, but then motorsport would have to compete with golf, tennis, NFL, NHL and whatever else they thrust onto those three FoxSports channels.

Don't worry about ratings and sponorship revenue, embrace the fact that motorsport has got a dedicated channel and that neither of those football codes has!!
Old 24 Feb 2011, 21:24 (Ref:2836396)   #6
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
Interesting to see that after the first eight weeks of ratings not one single Speed TV show has made it into the top 100 pay TV shows in the country.
The most recent ratings were dominated by the AFL pre-season cup and the NRL Charity Shield match at the top but not even Daytona made the list.
With the 100th ranked show attracting 23'000 nationally it means that anything on SPEED is rating even less than that.
The situation is not helped by the fact that SPEED is not seen on AUSTAR but the ratings are Metro only so that shouldn't have that much of an effect.
It would be interesting to see what the top rating offers on SPEED might be.
Interesting...............
For years, whenever I saw any of the Foxtel sales dudes in shopping centres, I would ask them if they had any intention of showing Speedtv in Australia. They never knew what I was talking about. So when I heard that Fox was going to broadcast Speed, I thought that I might sign up, to watch the ALMS live, and any Eels games, that weren't on free to air TV.
Speed no longer have the ALMS, and their other motor sport portfolio is pretty much crap, so there is no point.
The ALMS are now going with ESPN3, and live streaming, from their website.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 21:44 (Ref:2836412)   #7
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
Some would say they would have been better off creating two new channels for each football code
they tried and failed with an AFL channel...
Old 24 Feb 2011, 21:51 (Ref:2836415)   #8
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Wasnt Daytona on One HD?
It was on SPEED but I don't know about ONE and since they created the "11" free to air channel they dropped the ONE SD channel off Foxtel cable so I can see it anymore as I don't have the HD package (I don't have a free to air antenna hooked up either).

I've also noticed on the handful of ONE promos I've seen that they seem to be running a lot more than "sport" these days as well??
Old 24 Feb 2011, 22:07 (Ref:2836419)   #9
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
One is being rebranded as an action/adventure channel, that also has sport.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 23:00 (Ref:2836455)   #10
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I cancelled Foxtel last year just prior to the Speed announcement.

I must admit that I do miss the World Series Sprintcars and Chequered Flag to a lesser degree.

But the biggest disappointment will be missing the Indy 500.

On the other hand I the family has save $70 a month.......maybe a Foxtel subsrciption for the month of May would be tempting.
Old 26 Feb 2011, 00:11 (Ref:2836996)   #11
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I am cancelling my Austar subscription this week because they have announced the "SPEED will not be coming to Austar"
Reginal viewers miss out yet again (we had to wait for One HD) so Austar is gone and I save some money
Old 26 Feb 2011, 01:56 (Ref:2837018)   #12
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the test of SpeedTV ratings will come in the next few months

Up until the last few weeks when the American season got going, during November/December/January period all the chanel was showing was really highlights from last year a few times over.

The panel style "Full Noise" show has some potential
Old 26 Feb 2011, 04:12 (Ref:2837055)   #13
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Speed Aus averages 20000 viewers, if you extrapolate that out to comparing Australia's population to that of the USA, that's probably about the same viewship Speed USA gets for most of it's programming.