Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Oct 2009, 08:09 (Ref:2568485)   #276
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa View Post
It's a dictatorship in which dictators elect other dictators!
A very mild description compared to some I've heard!
Presumably the outgoing leader's father would be very proud of his son's achievements...

Still it should guarantee Fiat's continued participation in F1 which we have been told many times is really important.
Old 24 Oct 2009, 08:28 (Ref:2568499)   #277
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
Whatever the tyre costs are now will, I guarantee, pale into insignificance with the costs of a free tyre formula. There will always be a more suitable tyre for a particular venue so that means more wheels, yet more tyres, more testing, need I go on? Any sensible organiser stipulates one tyre and lets us get on with it. This may not be perfect but a lot better than the alternatives.
Fair enough, imagine the cost of imitating 80s F1 races where you could be running a different compound on each corner!
But it would be nice if they stipulated the lower cost alternative where available.
The problem comes when Dunlop decide to stop making the tyres and there is no available alternative (but presumably the FIA have an extremely long, binding agreement with their preferred supplier...).

I don't think the tyres are particularly over-priced, on a road car 200 euro tyres are common and they certainly aren't such a limited production manual labour intensive item as a historic race tyre.
And Dunlop's tyre price doesn't vary linearly with the popularity of the item as it does with many other components - normally something gets cheaper when it becomes more popular but not in historics!
Old 24 Oct 2009, 08:54 (Ref:2568514)   #278
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valid points Peter,one thing I find quite surprising is that production cost's of Race Tyres is less [per tyre,real cost] than if a road tyre type should be made in a similar volume. A bit of a cash cow for Dunlop maybe?
Old 24 Oct 2009, 09:51 (Ref:2568539)   #279
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa View Post
I don't think its a good idea to have several manufacturers - much better if everybody runs on the same tyres, otherwise it will be a race to find the best tyre. The insistance on 204 compound is relatively recent. When I started FJ in 1988 we were allowed to run on Dunlop FV tyres - my big rival Phoebe Rolt used those and ran rings around me (driving the car that Benn the Ratracer drives now). I ended up trying those tyres and they were 5" a lap quicker at Paul Ricard! But no fun at all. In fact the first time I fitted them on to my Lotus 18 I blew a rear tyre as the tyre wall was flexing so much it rubbed the upright! Had to fit spacers. I think in period there were several compounds available and the wet compound (green spot?) could be used in the dry particularly in cold England, and was probably much quicker than 204.
In the late sixties Dunlop Green Spots were all I ever used on my racing Lawrence Tune Morgan +4 (TR4 engine bored out to 2.5 litres) in the Modified Sports Car Championship!
Old 24 Oct 2009, 11:11 (Ref:2568604)   #280
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

However did you manage in the wet Comte? Historic 204s should be the norm no matter whether a race goe's beyond 2hrs.[only joking about the wet!]
Old 24 Oct 2009, 11:31 (Ref:2568624)   #281
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
However did you manage in the wet Comte? Historic 204s should be the norm no matter whether a race goe's beyond 2hrs.[only joking about the wet!]
Plus ca change Terence. I still cannot manage in the wet.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 17:06 (Ref:2745341)   #282
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My 2009 Goodwood Revival Photos

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to find a thread with other photographer's images relating to the above meeting.

I recently rejoined 10/10th's as I have been very busy with other things.

John Turner - Help please - If I have put this in the wrong place ... but could not find the relevant thread from last year.

The last time I was at the Revival was in 2003 and I have really missed it. I went to the first one in 1998 and again every year up to 2003.

But I had a fantastic welcome back from all the marshals and race officials as well as the Goodwood organising team. Thanks folks ...

C of the C John Felix wondered where I had gone to and I explained that I had been going to the USA a lot during this time period which unfortunately coincided with both the Festival of Speed and Revival. To make up for it, I took some fotos of him and his team.

Got to keep in " With the powers that be " you know ....

Seriously though he and his team of clerks, marshals etc are simply awesome and without their help we photographers and other members of the media would find our jobs much harder.

I have so much respect for the boys and girls in orange....

I attended all three days and it was a privilege to be there to celebrate Sir Stirling Moss's 80th Birthday. He and the late Jim Clark are my two heros ....

Enough chat Paula !!! Here is the link to all my fotos on my Photobucket album and a few images to see on here too. Haven't named them all as I am sure you know the people anyway. I hope you enjoy all my fotos on Photobucket, I did take rather a lot

http://s375.photobucket.com/albums/o...evival%202009/

Sadly I am unable to attend this year's Revival as I am off on my travels once again to the USA for 6 weeks on September 13th. But next year I will not miss it as it's my favourite race meeting.

Yours truly in the Course car

John Felix - C of the C

Sir Stirling Moss

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 16 Aug 2010 at 17:36.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 17:59 (Ref:2745376)   #283
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice pics, Paula. Threads merged!
Old 16 Aug 2010, 23:05 (Ref:2745578)   #284
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks John,

I had better get a better pair of glasses cos I hunted high and low for the appropriate thread....

Nitey nite

Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Nice pics, Paula. Threads merged!
Old 17 Aug 2010, 07:11 (Ref:2745736)   #285
Henrik Pedersen
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Henrik Pedersen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Things have been busy.
A last the diagnosis on the MATRA Djet Vs that failed in my Fordwater race in 2009, has been found.
It bend 2 push-rods, and in the process it had created small hairline cracks in the block around the channels for the push-rods.
So now we are waiting for a new engineblock, and hoping for a re-match in th Revival at some distant future.

ps: Paula. Do you have any picutes of my MATRA in Fordwater

Last edited by Henrik Pedersen; 17 Aug 2010 at 07:14. Reason: forgot a message to Paula
Old 17 Aug 2010, 07:12 (Ref:2745737)   #286
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great photo's of what is (IMHO) still the greatest current historic race meeting on the European calender
Old 17 Aug 2010, 09:21 (Ref:2745784)   #287
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Good Morning Henrik,

Sadly I did not take many ontrack shots last year at Goodwood.

Sorry ...

Take care

Paula

PS. I will be there next year for sure and we must arrange that I take some fotos for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Pedersen View Post

ps: Paula. Do you have any picutes of my MATRA in Fordwater
Old 17 Aug 2010, 09:27 (Ref:2745785)   #288
Henrik Pedersen
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Yes, if I am invited again ??
I think in 2012 is MGBĀ“s 50Ā“s anniversary, so one might think that they will do something to celebrate that ??
Old 17 Aug 2010, 09:27 (Ref:2745787)   #289
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hi Simon,

A'wwwwwwwwww thank you ( hugs ) ...

Could agree with you more, the Goodwood Revival is unbeatable and to think that the HSCC were originally offered to be the organising club but turned it down as they did not think that the meeting would be successful ....

Take care

Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Great photo's of what is (IMHO) still the greatest current historic race meeting on the European calender
Old 17 Aug 2010, 09:50 (Ref:2745797)   #290
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hi again,

I sincerely hope you are.

Oh wow.

I was forgetting about the 'B'.

50 years, makes me feel so old .....

Having owned a '66 BGT in Mineral Blue, a '69 BGT in Tartan Red, a '73 BGTV8 in Glacier White and a '72 Costello V8 Roadster also in Glacier White ( until the engine blew ... ), I will most certainly be there.

Have you got a 'B' then?

Here's some fotos of Barry 'Sideways' Smith famous 'B' and others too.

I just love them ...

Quote:
Yes, if I am invited again ??
I think in 2012 is MGBĀ“s 50Ā“s anniversary, so one might think that they will do something to celebrate that ??
Old 17 Aug 2010, 10:30 (Ref:2745818)   #291
Henrik Pedersen
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Yes, I have a MG B from 1973. Great car, solid as a Danish brick house.
It for road use only, my wife would get very upset, if I ever got the idea to use it for racing. "You have all the other cars" She would say.
But I think Goodwood would celebrate the MGB in 2012, so all you MGB racecars owners out there, look out for 2012.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 10:41 (Ref:2745822)   #292
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hi again Henrik,

Awesome, what colour?

Funnily enough I am seeing Barry in the next two weeks, so I will mention the 50th Anniversary of the 'B' to him.

I was once tempted to take my Mazda MX-6 to a Track Day but thought better of it. I once used my GTI Metro as a Course Car and nearly overdid it into the kitter litter ...

Would not have done her much good I reckon !!!
Old 17 Aug 2010, 10:46 (Ref:2745824)   #293
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge View Post
Hi Simon,

and to think that the HSCC were originally offered to be the organising club but turned it down as they did not think that the meeting would be successful ....

Paula
Just shows even the great Grahame White can get it wrong occassionally!! I didn't know that but although a paid up member of HSCC I am glad they didn't as its success is the control Lord March's team have on teh running of the event. the devil is in the detail.

By the way nice to see you have a photo of my old Turner in the collection ring before the Fordwater! Incredibly I was the first Turner entrant at the Revival.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 11:03 (Ref:2745832)   #294
Henrik Pedersen
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
It very unoriginal, but pleasing.
See attached photo from Gassin, overlooking the bay at St.Tropez, this sping in connection with Monaco Historic
Attached Thumbnails
Cannes 2010 089.jpg  
Old 17 Aug 2010, 12:58 (Ref:2745909)   #295
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hiya Simon,

Good I am glad that I took a shot of your Turner - Lovely car ...

re Grahame

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Just shows even the great Grahame White can get it wrong occassionally!! I didn't know that but although a paid up member of HSCC I am glad they didn't as its success is the control Lord March's team have on teh running of the event. the devil is in the detail.

By the way nice to see you have a photo of my old Turner in the collection ring before the Fordwater! Incredibly I was the first Turner entrant at the Revival.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 13:09 (Ref:2745922)   #296
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
It's luverly Henrik,

Love the colour of your MGB and the view of the bay at St Tropez. Reminds me of holidays that I used to take there back in the late 70's/early 80's. Tahiti Plage at ST is awesome.

Planning to fly down there next June with my friend Claire from the USA and will stay where I always used to go - the Domaine du pin de la Legue in the foothills outside Frejus. We will hire a car when we get there.

See: http://www.domainedupindelalegue.com/ and have your speakers on.

It's midway between Nice and St Tropez and is a great place to stay with reasonable restaurants on site plus swimming pool etc etc. Buying fresh croissants in the morning at their bakery and taking them back to the mobile home and drinking coffee is simply wonderful ...Can't wait ...

PS. Must remember to take my set of Boules with me or is it Petanque ?

Quote:
It very unoriginal, but pleasing.
See attached photo from Gassin, overlooking the bay at St.Tropez, this sping in connection with Monaco Historic

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 17 Aug 2010 at 13:17. Reason: PS
Old 17 Aug 2010, 14:33 (Ref:2745967)   #297
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
MGB,s at Goodwood 2012.Boy O Boy Philip is going to be very buisy.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 15:13 (Ref:2745990)   #298
Henrik Pedersen
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Now, now Iain.
I hope nobody jumps to any wrong conclusion.
I was only speculating in the fact that MBG has an anniversary in 2012.

I really hope I havenĀ“t stirred up something here.

But it is a nice idea for all those happy MGB owners around the world, like myself.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 15:47 (Ref:2746022)   #299
simon drabble
Veteran

I think one make celebrations are supported by the factory - as such MG might be a little off Radar
Old 17 Aug 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2746088)   #300
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
there's other 50ths coming up, some just as if not far more influential than MGB's (IMO at least)