Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 17 Apr 2012, 22:46 (Ref:3061199)   #1
Richyy
Rookie

England
Chester
Richyy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshalling and hearing protection

After a hearing test today it was confirmed that my hearing was below par and no surprises I was told this was a warning to avoid/limit all loud noise as its likely to get worse.

However as part of marshalling is the chit-chat between your buddies, I don't really want to have things stuck in my ears and obviously I wouldn't hear Post Chiefs whistles and the beautiful V8s in full glory etc etc

So... do I go for the cheap throw away ones .. big over ear defender type ones, a set of smaller re-usable in ear ones or ignore the Quacks advice ... ?
Old 17 Apr 2012, 23:04 (Ref:3061205)   #2
skeee
Racer

Cyprus
Wiltshire
skeee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not try electronic ear defenders. Then you can still chat and hear the Post Chief when it's quiet.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 06:48 (Ref:3061273)   #3
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
search and find
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ight=DEFENDERS
Old 18 Apr 2012, 06:50 (Ref:3061274)   #4
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyy View Post
So... do I go for the cheap throw away ones .. big over ear defender type ones, a set of smaller re-usable in ear ones or ignore the Quacks advice ... ?
No sense losing your hearing.

I got the full ear set, works great to protect from loud noise, while still being able to hear conversations... and keeps your ears warm in the wind
Old 18 Apr 2012, 18:57 (Ref:3061638)   #5
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've looked enviously at sound-cancelling defenders like those by Bose - but the cost! OMG!
Old 18 Apr 2012, 19:31 (Ref:3061648)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post
those by Bose
There's your big mistake. There are cheaper products than Bose. . . Bose only exists to make Bang & Olufsen look good value for money!
Old 18 Apr 2012, 20:42 (Ref:3061691)   #7
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
There's your big mistake. There are cheaper products than Bose. . . Bose only exists to make Bang & Olufsen look good value for money!
"The good things in life are expensive. There are cheaper options, but they're not as good."

Sandiman's Port advert, circa 1970
Old 18 Apr 2012, 20:57 (Ref:3061697)   #8
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
(have said it before but...) I've got a pair of Peltor SportTac active ear defenders. They're not cheap (although if you shop around you can find some offers like I did), they're not the highest level of protection but by crikey they're good.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 23:56 (Ref:3061784)   #9
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As posted before regarding the joys of hearing unmuffled the beautiful V8s in full glory etc etc

Beware!!! Early life (youthful) exuberance of mistreating your hearing. Myself as a longstanding sufferer of this self imposed mistreatment, tinnitus is not something I would wish on my worst enemy. To be afflicted with a loud and intrusive ringing/whistling/humming/buzzing noise every waking moment of your life is debilitating.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 07:33 (Ref:3061860)   #10
safetysam
Rookie

safetysam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a Health & Safety Consultant by profession I would not spend vast sums of money on hearing protection. Disposable ear plugs or basic over the ear defenders will normally give adequate protection from track noise.

I would find a method of protection that you find comfortable.

As for not hearing speech or a whistle when wearing ear protection, most are designed to allow speech or warning alarms still to be heard. I have used them for years in the workplace and the things you still hear are two way radios and reversing alarms.