Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Sep 2004, 19:29 (Ref:1085151)   #1
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shanghai

Just amused me that according to Tilke's website the Shanghai circuit is still under construction!
(I'm sure it's not).

http://www.tilke.com/html_e/shanghai.htm

Looks like a great track though, that straight, wow, they'll be able to land 747s on that!

Isn't it designed to match a chinese symbol?

Anyway, which of Tilke's is the best? (Malaysia, Bahrain or Shanghai)

I always thought Malaysia is a difficult one, but more because of the heat than the design.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:48 (Ref:1085317)   #2
Alpine Star
Rookie

Alpine Star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shanghai is still a mistery to me, but i am sure it isn't all finished there, is a track ever finished?

I am afraid that i don't realy enjoy the tracks, the look great, majestic stands, umbrella covers for the rich, but racing-wise it is just not what it prommised to be. Not the foult of the designer, but it just can't give it all what it prommises to give.

if it is the width in the corners, or the massive turn all the tracks seem to need, i don't know, i guess it is the cars and the limmitation in overtaking that makes part of the problem...

for the looks:
they all look great
Old 2 Sep 2004, 22:26 (Ref:1085367)   #3
Fuzzyfelt
Racer

Fuzzyfelt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hasn't anyone played Sony's F1 2004 for PS2? I may or may not be in a minority, but I love this track.

The first turn decreases in radius becoming gradually slower while there's a similarly shaped corner later in the lap which increases in radius becoming quicker as it opens onto one of the circuit's long straights. Whether or not it produces overtaking in the real world remains to be seen though.

Not Spa or Suzuka, but the best of the Tilke circuits by a long way. IMHO. And, cheers for the link to the Tilke site.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 11:53 (Ref:1085820)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The most recent Photo in dated May. The work looked close to complete oion the photos I saw. I suspect that any thing left to do ins minor and reallty no more than fine-tuning.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 16:11 (Ref:1086053)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It must be nearly finished because Berger drove a ferrari round the circuit earlier in the year.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 16:57 (Ref:1086104)   #6
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must say that hockenhiem is 'his best' design.
I'll never admit that to anyone who thinks thay run this sport though-for two reasons.

They obliterated one of the all time great trackes to make it

and...

I'm sure Tilke himself doesn't know WHY it's dead easy to pass there,in spite of his constant bleatings.It's *not* because of his normal reason -'a tight corner at the end of the straight'
It's because of the left sweeper/right hairpin combo!
Austria has a similar section that encourages heaps of passing attempts.

All in all though *none* of these tracks look any good.
Take away the grandstand from malaysia and it's a go kart track with a couple of interesting bits.The others are no better as far as i can remember.
There's no individuallity in f1 tracks
You'd think that they could run the track through some sand dunes in bahrain for goodness sakes ! Just build fake ones if that's what it takes!
Old 3 Sep 2004, 17:09 (Ref:1086117)   #7
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The modern f1 circuits are to much the same these days they have to have everything. The best circuits were the ones just made by nature. The old long beach confifiguration, adelaide, spa, monaco, monza and more.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 17:16 (Ref:1086128)   #8
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that they have to have a bit of everything these days, but the cars became too fast for the old tracks. Do you think the racing would be as good on the old tracks (e.g. Brans Hatch) with modern cars? (even if they did have enough run off to be able to use them).

I think the cars back then were just able to get closer to each other and race.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 17:25 (Ref:1086142)   #9
Fuzzyfelt
Racer

Fuzzyfelt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tomato is spot on (imho). Even the Hungaroring with it combinations of lefts and rights would produce fantastic racing if the cars weren't built like inverted aeroplanes.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 18:08 (Ref:1086175)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Hungaroring's problem is that every corner which could theoretically produce overtaking either doesn't have a long enough straight before it, or has a fast corner before it - it's an inherently poor design.

The better designed tracks (Spa, Montreal, A1-Ring, Hockenheim, Suzkua) produce the ebst races amost every year - that's not coincidence.
Old 3 Sep 2004, 18:12 (Ref:1086179)   #11
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
And interlagos...
Old 4 Sep 2004, 04:31 (Ref:1086533)   #12
SKWei
Rookie

SKWei should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Shanghai circuit looks a bit like the Chinese character "Shang", as in Shanghai. Apparently it was an accident, someone pointed it out to the designers and they developed the theme.
Old 4 Sep 2004, 10:28 (Ref:1086622)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
The Hungaroring's problem is that every corner which could theoretically produce overtaking either doesn't have a long enough straight before it, or has a fast corner before it - it's an inherently poor design.

The better designed tracks (Spa, Montreal, A1-Ring, Hockenheim, Suzkua) produce the ebst races amost every year - that's not coincidence.
Have to disagree there Boots.

Its the cars that need changing NOT the tracks, we saw fantastic racing in the mid 80's at tracks like Hungary, with Mansell coming from the back to Win (in 1989?) and some truly inspired moves around the outside of the first corner by Piquet.
Change the cars.
Old 4 Sep 2004, 10:33 (Ref:1086625)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I have to say, I think that Germany's Sachsenring is by far Tilke's best design.
What a pity they can't use that instead of the Boringring.
Old 4 Sep 2004, 10:38 (Ref:1086635)   #15
Alpine Star
Rookie

Alpine Star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, there is nowaday's no track, new or old, who can create enough overtaking. Cars are the things that have been modified to inverted jets on wheels, so we need the space for overtaking or the cars need a change..

Since there is no money for a track 60 meters wide, my money is on changing the cars. (slicks back, electronics out, engines limmited and loose most of the funny wings that have been glued on the cars and what else i can think of) would make any track spectaculair enough.

I am probably overeacting now :confused:
Old 5 Sep 2004, 09:36 (Ref:1087215)   #16
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Fuzzyfelt, agreed entirely. The first few corners, wait no, nearly EVERY corner will produce overtaking. Brilliant. Plus I rock on that circuit in F1 04 on PS2. Pole in a Jag. Lapped the field in a 14 lap race. Lapped Bruni twice. Gotta love those kinda circuits!!!