Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 18 May 2015, 09:45 (Ref:3538869)   #5776
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I know they won't be pushing massively at test day - but surely they can keep their powder dry and still go quicker than anything we saw last year. The pace in the cars is that much greater I believe some of the above predictions are conservative.

Last year we got:
3:23:014 (#8 Toyota) at test day
3:21:789 (#7 Toyota) pole position

You can see the gap isn't that huge between the times. Ultimately it boils down to what you really think is possible out of these new cars. I'd think absolute worst case we'll see them around 3:18 at test day.

It will be fascinating!
Old 18 May 2015, 09:57 (Ref:3538873)   #5777
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
usually during the test, best cars run close to the previous year pole or slightly better. Considering that, to me, toyota was already able to run under 3.21 last year, the target time for the test should be 3.19-3.20. But it won't be so unlikely to see a 3.18 from porsche.
Old 18 May 2015, 10:58 (Ref:3538905)   #5778
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I did some more analysis of sector times (Spa) and I found something quite interesting: The biggest improvement (proportionally) for the #18 Porsche in sector times was in sector 2 (the twisty bits).

Anyway - extrapolating the data (always a very dangerous thing to do) we should get an ideal race lap time of between 3:18.5 and 3:18.8 (for Porsche). I expect we will see quite a few race laps in the 3:19 area but mostly in the 3:20.
Old 18 May 2015, 14:02 (Ref:3538967)   #5779
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's difficult to take a parameter from sector's time, because the electrical storage is not linear, so in one lap you could use all the stored energy in a sector, and do it in other sector in other lap.
Old 18 May 2015, 14:22 (Ref:3538974)   #5780
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
It's difficult to take a parameter from sector's time, because the electrical storage is not linear, so in one lap you could use all the stored energy in a sector, and do it in other sector in other lap.
Although I see what you are getting at, surely that would be evident in the discrepancy between times in the same sector between the lap where you used the energy and the lap you did not?
Anyway, I used best sector times, so the basis is just one lap.
It's not very scientific but it, at best, gives us a slight indication of what to expect.
Old 19 May 2015, 09:50 (Ref:3539245)   #5781
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
As of yesterday a 12 persons advance party have started setting up at Le Mans!
http://newsroom.porsche.com/en/motor...026-11027.html

I love the build up!
Old 20 May 2015, 06:14 (Ref:3539545)   #5782
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
A nice column by Neel Jani (Google Translate): https://translate.google.com/transla...ein&edit-text==
Old 20 May 2015, 10:54 (Ref:3539598)   #5783
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
First pictures of the preparation:

Old 20 May 2015, 11:09 (Ref:3539605)   #5784
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The PR/branding/hospitality battle between manufacturers is always quite interesting to see when walking around Le Mans.
Old 21 May 2015, 08:35 (Ref:3539848)   #5785
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Big enough?
Old 21 May 2015, 08:37 (Ref:3539849)   #5786
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Old 21 May 2015, 13:29 (Ref:3539914)   #5787
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Old 22 May 2015, 22:11 (Ref:3540292)   #5788
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Big enough?
Please excuse my blasphemy. When I first saw it from this angle and in these colors, I thought it was the Nissan. The Porsche has better angles and lines than this, IMO. I think the side profile with the gills is one of the best. And, I like the 917 the same way with that big tail.
Old 22 May 2015, 22:19 (Ref:3540295)   #5789
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
A question... why the blunt noses of the Porsche, Audi and Toyota?

Do the blunt noses add to the aerodynamics or is the shape an airplane packaging issue? The WEC flies its show around the world and packaging on an airplane has certain restrictions. Are the noses due to the most car that you can get into a crate or is it aero?
Old 23 May 2015, 03:15 (Ref:3540323)   #5790
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
A question... why the blunt noses of the Porsche, Audi and Toyota?

Do the blunt noses add to the aerodynamics or is the shape an airplane packaging issue? The WEC flies its show around the world and packaging on an airplane has certain restrictions. Are the noses due to the most car that you can get into a crate or is it aero?
Pretty sure it is aero and cooling and packaging of powertrain and suspension parts. Fitting on an airplane doesn't factor into the design!
Old 26 May 2015, 09:10 (Ref:3541316)   #5791
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Confirmation we will see the three cars in their respective colors on Test Day: http://newsroom.porsche.com/en/motor...056-11063.html
Old 26 May 2015, 21:02 (Ref:3541550)   #5792
alless
Rookie

alless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Confirmation we will see the three cars in their respective colors on Test Day: http://newsroom.porsche.com/en/motor...056-11063.html
Cool!

Btw guys, can somebody explain me how did 2015 cars become 4 sec faster to last year?
Old 27 May 2015, 00:58 (Ref:3541618)   #5793
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alless View Post
Cool!

Btw guys, can somebody explain me how did 2015 cars become 4 sec faster to last year?
They were working hard in the off season! Overall efficiency improvements, aero, hybrid, engine and more.
Old 27 May 2015, 18:09 (Ref:3541830)   #5794
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Just an observation but those are the colors of the old Imperial German flag.

Old 27 May 2015, 18:15 (Ref:3541838)   #5795
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also an observation: these colors have also been used for a later version of our flags, featuring a circle amidst. Now was there somewhere you were heading with this, bjohnsonsmith? Just curious..
Old 27 May 2015, 19:01 (Ref:3541856)   #5796
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
Also an observation: these colors have also been used for a later version of our flags, featuring a circle amidst. Now was there somewhere you were heading with this, bjohnsonsmith? Just curious..
I get what you're suggesting but no, I'm not heading anywhere with this. I was just wondered by using the colors of the old Imperial flag, do Porsche see themselves as Germany's team as opposed to Audi?
Old 27 May 2015, 19:10 (Ref:3541860)   #5797
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wouldn't think so, because one could as well interpret the colors as an affinity to the other flag I mentioned (one which usually is meant when the imperial colors are flown, btw)
If they wanted to badge themselves "german", there are other colors that (especially after two football world cups) are acceptable to relate as a German to again (in public opinion).
I.e., no need for quirky, hidden meta-patriotism - if they wanted to be "the" german team, they'd just gone for "schwarz-rot-gold", IMHO.
So I have the firm belief, that the cars' colors, and the colors of these flags (and others: trinidad-tobago, or the yemen, or berlin (according to wikipedia)) coincidentally are the same.

Last edited by Ephaeton; 27 May 2015 at 19:16. Reason: ty-police
Old 27 May 2015, 19:29 (Ref:3541865)   #5798
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Just an observation but those are the colors of the old Imperial German flag.

Sorry, but this observation is more than poor. The flag you have added is the old flag of the Kaiser's empire. No person of modern germany will use this flag or its colours to show patriotism or prove to be "the" german works team. If you will implement this, you will choose the colours black, red, gold as already used by Porsche at LM 1986.

I think you should avoid discussions around Germany using the word Imperial or even more worse some things a few years past the Empire. No one want to conquer anything today. Not in politics and also not in motorsports !!
Old 27 May 2015, 19:33 (Ref:3541866)   #5799
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by templer View Post
Sorry, but this observation is more than poor. The flag you have added is the old flag of the Kaiser's empire. No person of modern germany will use this flag or its colours to show patriotism or prove to be "the" german works team. If you will implement this, you will choose the colours black, red, gold as already used by Porsche at LM 1986.

I think you should avoid discussions around Germany using the word Imperial or even more worse some things a few years past the Empire. No one want to conquer anything today. Not in politics and also not in motorsports !!
Sorry to have touched a nerve, no offense was meant by this, I've been on 10-Tenths for too long, so my apologies.
Old 27 May 2015, 19:56 (Ref:3541870)   #5800
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I get what you're suggesting but no, I'm not heading anywhere with this. I was just wondered by using the colors of the old Imperial flag, do Porsche see themselves as Germany's team as opposed to Audi?
Definitely not. The old imperial flag is mostly used by far right-wing people today (as using the Nazi flag is banned). No company would choose the old imperial colours to represent Germany. If anything, they would use black, red and yellow/gold. And even then, using the national flag or its colours is less common in Germany than in other countries.

Just wanted to clarify this, no offense taken.