Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 9 Feb 2014, 11:30 (Ref:3366064)   #1001
Machin
Racer

Machin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got to say; the "11 laps on ICE and 1 lap on Electric" seems a bit gimmicky; clearly it is more efficient to store energy in one braking zone and then discharge all that energy in the next acceleration zone; that way the heavy batteries can be reduced in size as much as possible (i.e. they only need to be big enough for one braking event, not a full lap's worth)... but what does intrigue me is whether they will run the full ICE power AND electric power combined for one lap; they'll be knocking on the door of 1000bhp per ton in that configuration; that should put them on pole position overall rather comfortably!
Old 9 Feb 2014, 16:18 (Ref:3366106)   #1002
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't worry, I am pretty confident that ACO is not going to let them run "combined" in quali.
Old 9 Feb 2014, 17:31 (Ref:3366114)   #1003
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope they can do a lap of combined at some point, just to see what it's capable of. Want to see what lap times it produces on electric in comparison to it's petrol times too.

On whether it's gimmicky or not, I don't think the idea of whole lap of electric is a gimmick. In the context of the LMP1 rules it might not be the most efficient way to get round the lap, but in terms of tech progression it's pretty damn cool.
Old 9 Feb 2014, 18:15 (Ref:3366122)   #1004
Machin
Racer

It all depends on the lap time they achieve on electric power; of course, if it goes slow enough it could do a whole 11 lap stint on electric power alone... (think electric milk float), but you'd hardly call that pushing the boundaries of technology... if it's electric lap is as quick as its petrol laps it'll be a good advert for electric power... but to my mind it still seems a bit weird to devise a system configuration and fuel usage strategy for a race car which is slower than the optimum just for publicity purposes....
Old 9 Feb 2014, 19:49 (Ref:3366149)   #1005
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machin View Post
but to my mind it still seems a bit weird to devise a system configuration and fuel usage strategy for a race car which is slower than the optimum just for publicity purposes....
You're onto something...
Old 9 Feb 2014, 20:00 (Ref:3366153)   #1006
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, that's just it---the whole exercise is just for publicity purposes.

Whoops, Deggis beat me to it ...
Old 9 Feb 2014, 20:00 (Ref:3366154)   #1007
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machin View Post
but to my mind it still seems a bit weird to devise a system configuration and fuel usage strategy for a race car which is slower than the optimum just for publicity purposes....
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
You're onto something...
Yep! - but that is what Garage 56th is all about (or so they say).

EDIT: and you Maelochs, beat me to it
Old 9 Feb 2014, 20:06 (Ref:3366156)   #1008
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's going to look and sound weird and I'm looking forward to it!
Old 9 Feb 2014, 22:32 (Ref:3366231)   #1009
Machin
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltawing View Post
Don't worry, I am pretty confident that ACO is not going to let them run "combined" in quali.
Even on ICE alone the car should be quick; with 400bhp on tap it has 89% of the power of a P2... Race Car Engineering said its weight with driver and fuel will be 700kg (about 66% of an LMP2 with driver and fuel) resulting in a power:weight ratio 35% higher than an LMP2...
Old 10 Feb 2014, 01:50 (Ref:3366264)   #1010
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Machin, what I meant is, no one is going to let them outperform the P1 cars, even if it is just for one lap.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 02:51 (Ref:3366274)   #1011
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't care how much power they can make, i don't see them outperforming P1 cars ... 1000 bhp through only two tires only 12 inches wide?, and judging by what the DWing can do, i don't see the ZEOD getting around corners as fast either.

Eager to see it what the ZEOD can do, but unless it gets a lot more development than the original DWing, I don't see it being shockingly fast.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 04:55 (Ref:3366300)   #1012
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
It doesnt need to be. It just has to go for their purposes of using it. Why do we expect something in terms of competitiveness from a car that really isn't competing with anything else?
Old 10 Feb 2014, 16:53 (Ref:3366499)   #1013
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Eager to see it what the ZEOD can do, but unless it gets a lot more development than the original DWing, I don't see it being shockingly fast.
Lap times for the original DWing dropped several seconds between testing and qualifying until they broke something curb-hopping and decided to not hop curbs the way the rest of the cars do. Without the curb hopping it was competitive with P2's and people criticized it for being slow in the slow sectors.

This is a full factory effort, not a shoestring operation which a factory decided to join after all the work was done. It's a quite different effort.
Old 13 Feb 2014, 23:16 (Ref:3368216)   #1014
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So in another baby step toward the P1 programme, on Twitter Darren Cox says to 10tenther (I think) valedave that the accepted entry of the Zeod is proof the LMP1 car is going ahead.

https://twitter.com/IamDarrenCox/sta...71700515213312
Old 14 Feb 2014, 01:22 (Ref:3368269)   #1015
deltawing
Racer

Don't waste your keyboard. They are going to believe it only when the car appears in Silverstone a year from now
Old 17 Feb 2014, 12:27 (Ref:3369326)   #1016
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Heard about this a few days ago but announced today - Jann Mardenborough becomes Red Bull development driver and moves to GP3 with Arden.

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...&id=fd4e1c1b5d

Massive PR for GT Academy and Nissan. But interesting to see it shift slightly from the realm of sportscars. We might have lost Jann to single seaters...

Hopefully he'll still be picked for Le Mans - the GP3 calendar does allow it.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 18:31 (Ref:3369410)   #1017
deltawing
Racer

Few days ago, first run on petrol...

Old 17 Feb 2014, 18:45 (Ref:3369413)   #1018
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Heard about this a few days ago but announced today - Jann Mardenborough becomes Red Bull development driver and moves to GP3 with Arden.

Massive PR for GT Academy and Nissan. But interesting to see it shift slightly from the realm of sportscars. We might have lost Jann to single seaters...

I'm not going to write him off as "lost" to single seaters just yet. A GP3 seat is simply more experience for Jann behind the wheel of a faster car. Hopefully this is just preparation for the 2015 LMP1 ride with Nissan. The Red Bull piece here is pretty interesting though. Could they be a future Nissan P1 sponsor? Would make sense - video games and red bull attract a lot of the same folks.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 21:02 (Ref:3369459)   #1019
Brownj
Racer

United States
Georgia, US
Brownj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post

PR video here ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/26185908 ) shows him getting photographed with the ZEOD RC and even looking like he is sitting in the cockpit.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 23:07 (Ref:3369513)   #1020
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltawing View Post
Few days ago, first run on petrol...

Where was that?
Old 18 Feb 2014, 08:49 (Ref:3369611)   #1021
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Where was that?
Looks like the strip, that fifth gear usually use to test top speeds?
Old 18 Feb 2014, 11:14 (Ref:3369657)   #1022
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Bruntingthorpe you mean?
http://www.bruntingthorpeprovinggrou...oto-locations/

EVO magazine shoots there too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5UGxbfLh4KE
Old 18 Feb 2014, 22:35 (Ref:3369894)   #1023
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My thought was Bruntingthorpe. 2m straight 60ft wide, my first track experience.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 22:55 (Ref:3369899)   #1024
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yep Darren Cox name-checked it in a tweet a few days ago.

https://twitter.com/IamDarrenCox/sta...69842233024512
Old 21 Feb 2014, 21:47 (Ref:3370810)   #1025
hcl123
Veteran

hcl123 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Possible technologies for the Garage 56 ZEOD

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2010...-20100304.html

Perhaps or likely they will go for 2 motors / 2 clutches but split... more on the motor/clutch tech of Nissan... very interresting that 7 speed transmission with a 50 KW motor (easily could be the double or more)

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2014...20-nissan.html