Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 19 Oct 2004, 09:29 (Ref:1128071)   #1
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Singleton out at Molson?

Poster at another forum said Bob Singleton resigned Monday from being head of Molson's Sports and entertainment program. No link, no source.

Any of you from Canada have a handle on it?
Old 19 Oct 2004, 10:35 (Ref:1128114)   #2
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There hasn't been anything in reference to this at all.
Have to love the internet!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 19 Oct 2004, 10:47 (Ref:1128123)   #3
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Champweb however is reporting that Singleton has resigned to start a consultancy business. Interesting, I wonder if he will be taking his expertise to other race promoters. Could be good.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 19 Oct 2004, 15:23 (Ref:1128426)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He was still acting as head of MSE as of yesterday?

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Motorsport...19/676378.html
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 19 Oct 2004, 15:33 (Ref:1128443)   #5
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The C-web story quotes him as saying he's done. Found nothing on the Toronto papers' websites about it.

Singleton said about two weeks ago that he'd have something in 10 days. The link above quotes him as saying they have seven-nine days to decide, and all the OWRS guys are headed for or in Australia right now. John Oreowicz at espn.com reported OWRS would announce its schedule Thursday and TV on Nov. 1. Maybe both are now Nov. 1.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 16:51 (Ref:1128519)   #6
indycool
Veteran

Vancouver Sun now has a story on Singleton's resignation at its site. It's a pay site and all you can read is the first paragraph.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 23:47 (Ref:1128937)   #7
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
He was still acting as head of MSE as of yesterday?

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Motorsport...19/676378.html
Actually Paul he was VP. The internal announcement was he resigned but will consult with Molson for the Indy.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 00:02 (Ref:1128947)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ah, right, I noticed that after I posted and figured no one would correct me on it .

Anyway, any connection to the Edmonton/Calgary situation? The timing is interesting.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Oct 2004, 13:25 (Ref:1129447)   #9
indycool
Veteran

From today's Toronto Star regarding the whole Canada situation.....interesting..

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1044529387291
Old 20 Oct 2004, 14:42 (Ref:1129547)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Very interesting, grasshopper...

-Bill James
Old 20 Oct 2004, 18:50 (Ref:1129827)   #11
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the link. Who wants to write their MPP? Don't you just love Klein?

"Molstar is pondering whether it will organize or even sponsor a race in Alberta because of the provincial government's decision to give significant tax incentives to small breweries, which allows those companies to sell their beer at considerably lower prices than the major firms such as Molson, parent of Molstar Sports and Entertainment, or its rival Labatt."
Old 20 Oct 2004, 22:11 (Ref:1130087)   #12
indycool
Veteran

Just read an excerpt from Racefax that says Singleton will move to San Jose and head race operations there. That Labrosse lost $2 million on Montreal, has shut his doors, no longer reps Carpentier and owes OWRS $1.5 million.
Old 21 Oct 2004, 02:26 (Ref:1130233)   #13
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
"Molstar is pondering whether it will organize or even sponsor a race in Alberta because of the provincial government's decision to give significant tax incentives to small breweries, which allows those companies to sell their beer at considerably lower prices than the major firms such as Molson, parent of Molstar Sports and Entertainment, or its rival Labatt."
Yeah, it definitely isn't cheaper. I was just at the liquor store a few minutes ago, and Canadian is definitely one of the cheapest beers you can buy... Only TNT and Mountain Crest were chepaer... and those aren't particularily delicious.
Old 21 Oct 2004, 06:29 (Ref:1130294)   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
No, Omega, it's not. Only imported and specialty beers are more costly at The Beer Store in Ontario.
Old 21 Oct 2004, 13:06 (Ref:1130594)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Ok, so there is much going on. I do not follow MSE much so I do not know who all the movers and shakers are there. Singleton leaving is obviously significant. Can anyone educate me on what this means to MSE and their support of CC in Canada?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Oct 2004, 13:11 (Ref:1130604)   #16
indycool
Veteran

John, best I can tell you is that Singleton has been the focal point of the Molson deal tyhe past seven years. You never hear any other name but his mentioned as a spokesman or organizer or on any racing issue. Someone will undoubtedly take over, but whoever it is loses "presence" in the racing industry to what Singleton built over those years.

The other element is, that if he's been signed by OWRS to tee up San Jose, is he in a conflict of interest right now with all the work he's done with Molson to negotiate the deal with OWRS in Canada? Does he represent his new employer or old employer?

Last edited by indycool; 21 Oct 2004 at 13:12.
Old 21 Oct 2004, 13:20 (Ref:1130619)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
NOW I understand better! Thanks indy!

That second point of yours then is indeed a good question: Which master is being served?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Oct 2004, 15:34 (Ref:1130805)   #18
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please do not forget that Molson wants to sale the division that Singleton headed. OWRS is making a good move if they can get him. Maybe they are thinking they need to find sponsorship for the Canadian races in the near future and who better than Singleton.
Old 21 Oct 2004, 17:26 (Ref:1130928)   #19
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Good point, racinthestreets. I had forgotten that MolStar is up for sale.
Old 22 Oct 2004, 02:08 (Ref:1131354)   #20
MolsonBoy
Racer

Macdaddy Molstar or as it is now called Molson Sports & Entertainment (MSE) is not up for sale. Molson is looking to find some cost savings on everything these days. MSE is not the only area that they are looking at.
Old 22 Oct 2004, 02:15 (Ref:1131356)   #21
MolsonBoy
Racer

Also Bob was not the head of of MSE. He was a VP. ThePresident is Jo-Ann McArthur.
Old 22 Oct 2004, 02:27 (Ref:1131362)   #22
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by indycool
That Labrosse lost $2 million on Montreal, has shut his doors, no longer reps Carpentier and owes OWRS $1.5 million.
"AutoRacing1.com caught up with the Montreal race promoter Alan Labrosse regarding recent reports in a Montreal newspaper that his race only attracted 14,000 fans in 2004 and he was short $2 million on his sanction fee payment to Champ Car. "That report was totally inaccurate," said Labrosse in an exclusive AutoRacing1.com interview. We don't know where that reporter got his attendance figures but we stick by those originally announced. Regarding us not paying a $2 million sanctioning fee, that is false as well. We have one small issue to iron out with Champ Car regarding next year and we fully expect that there will be a Champ Car race in Montreal in 2005 and 2006 per the contract. In fact we expect there will be a Champ Car race in Montreal for as long as Champ Car is in business."

Hmmmm
Old 22 Oct 2004, 02:46 (Ref:1131374)   #23
indycool
Veteran

That's a new report. Thanx for posting.....we never could figure out the original other than it was in French in La Presse up there.
Old 22 Oct 2004, 04:20 (Ref:1131408)   #24
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Thanks for straightening me out, MolsonBoy. But I swear that I read about Molson trying to sell their entertainment division, including everything EXCEPT their ownership in the Montreal Canadiens and their arena.
Old 22 Oct 2004, 04:27 (Ref:1131411)   #25
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I've found the thread I was remembering, MolsonBoy.
The article it linked to has been archived now, only the first few paragraphs are still available from The Globe and Mail:
Quote:
July 13,2004
MONTREAL - Molson Inc. is considering selling some of the assets of its sports and entertainment division as part of its enhanced focus on the core brewing business.

"We are considering the possibility of selling Molson Sports and Entertainment," Jo-Ann McArthur, president of the division, said in an interview yesterday.