Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Oct 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1729914)   #1
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Playing Fair

Autosport is reporting that Ferrari have "urged" Renault to play fair in the title chase and not to allow team mates to interfere with the battle.

Does anyone else find it hilarious that Ferrari are pleading for fair play and non team involvement considering history ?
Old 6 Oct 2006, 12:44 (Ref:1729922)   #2
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

It happens all the time in F1.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 12:45 (Ref:1729925)   #3
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No. What history? China was only 1 week ago..
Old 6 Oct 2006, 12:48 (Ref:1729932)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Well we don't want them to take their ball home,so Renault had better play fair.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 12:59 (Ref:1729944)   #5
Julio
Racer

United Kingdom
Julio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats brilliant. They are obviously scared that Fisichella is going to get involved but Massa will be too slow to get involved.

Edit: Anyone remember Schuey and Irvine's tactical 'manoeuvres' at this same circuit 9 years ago? (9 years! seems like yesterday)

Last edited by Julio; 6 Oct 2006 at 13:05.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1729949)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Obviously.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 13:10 (Ref:1729955)   #7
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ferrari and fair being used in the same sentence is strange enough but when I read further it was about them telling rival teams to play fair...... I fell of the chair.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 13:32 (Ref:1729967)   #8
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ferrari that is hilarious!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 6 Oct 2006, 17:46 (Ref:1730132)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe Fisichella's deliberate slowing at China wasn't 100% sporting, but it's nothing comapred to certain previous Ferrari indescretions.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 17:51 (Ref:1730136)   #10
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Like?
Old 6 Oct 2006, 17:52 (Ref:1730138)   #11
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pot - Kettle - Black - No sympathy!
Old 6 Oct 2006, 18:44 (Ref:1730170)   #12
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Given that Ferrari had showed that they won't hesitate to implement team orders in order to attain the best results when they deem necessary, i would expect other teams to more or less do the same, and i won't deny that Ferrari had used team orders before.

If people are using this opportunity to bash Ferrari, then i guess it's worth pointing out that most of the so called "history" and indiscretions took place before team orders were specifically outlawed.

Not surprisingly perhaps, that since then, the last WDC that benefitted from team orders was Fernando Alonso, despite said team's manager's poor attempt to hide it.

I expect and i think that if a 2nd car holds up the rival WDC-contender, it is an unfortunate position but hard to police. It's part of the game, and as long as the 2nd driver doesn't purposely put the other rival WDC contender in risk of being in an accident or blatant block, i think it is unavoidable and acceptable.

However, there is a thin line to draw. Frankly, one would think that if a team runs two cars in one-two position side by side at the front, it's just pushing things abit far, because there's no way anyone can overtake.

But since Renault showed in Shanghai that they deem it acceptable, i think that Ferrari has been game enough to take on that kind of track-behavoir and as Jean Todt simply said, Renault shouldn't be surprised if they find the same move being used against them.

Team orders, using slower 2nd cars to hold up a faster cars.. please don't pretend to be naive and think only Ferrari uses it.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 18:47 (Ref:1730173)   #13
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must have been watching a different Chinese Grand Prix.

I saw Giancarlo Fisichella of Renault being allowed to go past Alonso and lead the race, despite Alonso fighting back past him - and then later Fisichella completely failing in any way to hold up Schumacher.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 19:02 (Ref:1730183)   #14
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You must have, if you missed watching Fisichella lift at the straights to allow Alonso go past, or how for almost 2 laps Fisichella played rear gunner to protect Alonso from Michael, to the extent of driving next to Alonso down the straights just so that MS can't do anything.

Fisichella got past only because it's almost ridiculous and impossible to pull off the blocking thing any longer, given that Alonso is 4 seconds slower those around him.

Let's just not pretend there isn't team play. Is it that hard to accept?
Old 6 Oct 2006, 19:05 (Ref:1730185)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
Renault shouldn't be surprised if they find the same move being used against them.
That's not fair,they've got more cars than Renault.

Actually,I wouldn't be surprised at all.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 19:08 (Ref:1730189)   #16
Gt_R
Veteran

It's ok, Michelins have more teams than Bridgestones.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 19:15 (Ref:1730194)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
It's ok, Michelins have more teams than Bridgestones.
My Dad's bigger than your Dad.

I suppose that it'll be decided by tyres one way or another.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 20:21 (Ref:1730237)   #18
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Gosh. Team order discussions again? Its been and always will be a part of F1.

Taking off an opponent on purpose to help a teammate is obviously not sporting. As for allowing teammates to pass, I think this is perfectly fine. The FIA only introduced the "you can't obviously allow your teammate to pass" rule to appease the whinging of the masses when Ferrari was dominating. Slowing to block an opponent to help your teammate (as long as its for position, and not being lapped) is also perfectly sporting in my book.
Old 6 Oct 2006, 22:10 (Ref:1730299)   #19
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it time for bed yet?
Old 7 Oct 2006, 04:33 (Ref:1730491)   #20
Gt_R
Veteran

I agree with Inigo, not perfectly sporting, but very much acceptable imo. So i don't see the point of much fuss and sacarsm which dominate the early part of this discussion.
Old 7 Oct 2006, 06:59 (Ref:1730552)   #21
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
Slowing to block an opponent to help your teammate (as long as its for position, and not being lapped) is also perfectly sporting in my book.
Apparently Ferrari dont agree.
Old 7 Oct 2006, 10:37 (Ref:1730633)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Playing fair?

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=132235
Old 7 Oct 2006, 14:56 (Ref:1730759)   #23
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I agree with Inigo, not perfectly sporting, but very much acceptable imo. So i don't see the point of much fuss and sacarsm which dominate the early part of this discussion.
The sarcasm comes from Ferrari urging Renault to 'play fair'... when it is clear they use team orders as well.....
Old 7 Oct 2006, 15:02 (Ref:1730763)   #24
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
They weren't arguing about team orders.

By the way, kinda funny... For once people say "Ferrari use team orders as well"! Yay! Finally!
Old 7 Oct 2006, 15:07 (Ref:1730767)   #25
Gt_R
Veteran

Monster, you see anything wrong with the event?

Last edited by Gt_R; 7 Oct 2006 at 15:13.