Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 3 Apr 2007, 20:34 (Ref:1882922)   #1
morrisnutter
Rookie

morrisnutter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cylinder head porting tools

I'm planning to do some head porting later in the year and have tracked down the last couple of carbide burrs and aluminium oxide tools that I need. However, I still need to find something with which to dress the aluminium oxide ones with (so that they aren't running out). Anyone know the proper name for this, or ideally where I can get one from???

Thanks.
Old 4 Apr 2007, 09:05 (Ref:1883201)   #2
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I do mainly cast iron, being a sucker for punishment ! so a good set of carbide tools are essential for removing meat, then I use stones, the stones bind up with ally . . . . WD40 helps though or some kind of cutting fluid effectively
Old 4 Apr 2007, 21:40 (Ref:1883681)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get yourself a nice length of straight 8mm bar,cut a slot in one end approx 25mm long,wind round your choice of emery cloth strip,cheap and very effective.
Old 4 Apr 2007, 21:47 (Ref:1883684)   #4
peenuts
Rookie

France
peenuts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just ported the inlet on a zetec used some pointed burring tools that fit on flexy drill then used green stone cones .then used brimmel sanding rings
came up a treat and looks good
Old 5 Apr 2007, 15:12 (Ref:1884222)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I use a 1/4" bar slotted with emery for finishing

what looks good doesn't necessarily work well . . . aside the fact I'm too lazy its widly regarded that polishing, particularly on inlets is about as useful as a solar powered torch

Just done 2 hours grinding, I'm off to wash the swarf out of the thatch!
Old 6 Apr 2007, 07:22 (Ref:1884688)   #6
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why spend hours polishing something that is coked over in minuits,it always seemed like a good idea at the time!