Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Apr 2001, 08:48 (Ref:86161)   #1
laxman
Racer

laxman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anyone has followed the practice sessions this weekend,you will know what im talking about.There are a lot of people calling him a future star but the first thing he should do is beat his teammate..or at least equal him.The last i saw,he was about 6 tenths slower.Sorry,i see a future championship for ralf,not for him.
Old 28 Apr 2001, 09:26 (Ref:86168)   #2
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're right, from what I remember Montoya has never outrightly been quicker or ahead of Ralf
Old 28 Apr 2001, 09:35 (Ref:86170)   #3
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must agree .I'm new to the forum so i think i missed most of the endless talk of montoya-thank goodness.He'll could be great in future but not yet.
Old 28 Apr 2001, 12:49 (Ref:86203)   #4
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also new to the Forum, but did not miss the endless discussion of JPM since Sepang. I am a big fan of his, but two passes do not a career make. Give him some time to show what he can do.
Old 28 Apr 2001, 13:56 (Ref:86225)   #5
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, Juan cannot beat Ralf. I've always been suspicious of drivers who can talk faster than they can drive.

As for the "Juan will be good someday" faithful, a driver's first season is a good indicator of what he can do in the future. Rookies seldom improve that much, they only cement and confirm what they acheive in the first season. I don't see how a "rookie" in his mid twenties is going to improve that much.

JV was awesome in his rookie season and confirmed it in the second. Jenson couldn't quite beat or match Ralf in his first try and he can't quite beat or match Fisi in his second season.

Right now the best future F1 drivers are Alonso and Raikkonen, not Juan.
Old 28 Apr 2001, 15:26 (Ref:86247)   #6
Sonatrap
Racer

Sonatrap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right now Ralph is the better driver...with 70 G.P´s experience he should be.

Montoya hasn´t exactly had luck on his side this season.

But nevertheless he has pulled off some spectacular moves.

Talk Fast? The Press are interested in him , he answers the questions , he believes in himself...why is that so irritating?

Montoya will win a G.P. this year.

Montoya will be a world Champion

Just wait and see.
Old 28 Apr 2001, 15:59 (Ref:86259)   #7
laxman
Racer

Sonatrap,
I appreciate that you are still loyal to your driver and so you should.But I really think that there has been more hype than performance in mr. toya's case.Sure he may win a grand prix,in fact he may win several,but he dosent seem to be the future senna or schumacher or prost or whoever.And I also dont think he will be able to win a championship unless his car has an advantage over the rest of the field and his teammate is a idiot.
You've got to agree that all great drivers start showing their skills from the very beginning of their career.The overtaking moves you are talking about were greatly helped by the BMW power.So that is not an entirely true way to grade his skill.He has been about 6 tenths slower than his teammate ALL weekend.He has just been trying to find excuses to explain his lack of speed.But what excuse can you give!!Its not that he has not driven on the track.he has done more than enough testing to get a feel of the track.Compare this to alonso's performance.I think he deserves more credit.

And I say again,mr. toya is a good driver,but not a great one.
Old 28 Apr 2001, 16:04 (Ref:86262)   #8
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, I think JPM's doing alright considering his comparative lack of experaince with F1 cars, the circuits etc.
Old 28 Apr 2001, 16:32 (Ref:86267)   #9
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Billy_Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't JPM do the european circuits in F3000 ?

He has certainly got to sort out his qualifiying performance Raikkonen and Heidfeld are in front of him this weekend, in slower cars.
How much experience has Raikkonen had again ?
Old 28 Apr 2001, 16:34 (Ref:86269)   #10
DancingMachine
Racer

DancingMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he has hardly driven for a year. this is 2 early to say LAXMAN. was ralf like this in his first 4 races ? huh ?

i dont think ive seen drivers start off their f1 career like montoya. he has barely made a mistake. i totaly disagree with u LAXMAN.
Old 28 Apr 2001, 16:36 (Ref:86272)   #11
canadianfan
Rookie

canadianfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

hey everyone, cut montoya some slack. Fair enough, he needs to get better qualifying times, but he does fairly well in the actual race, ie passing schumacher which isn't an easy thing to do and he is quick, just unlucky in the pits.
Old 28 Apr 2001, 16:37 (Ref:86273)   #12
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by DancingMachine
was ralf like this in his first 4 races ? huh ?
No, he wasn't. Ralf finished 3rd in his third race.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 28 Apr 2001, 17:00 (Ref:86282)   #13
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good point Ralf's Girl.

Also, Billy Hunt's points are well taken. Juan is a former F1 test driver with a lot of experiences in european tracks from F300. Where are the results Juan?
Old 28 Apr 2001, 17:33 (Ref:86288)   #14
Kenny W.
Racer

Kenny W. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote (Laxman)
"he dosent seem to be the future senna or schumacher..."

"And I also dont think he will be able to win a championship unless his car has an advantage over the rest of the field and his teammate is a idiot. "

Am I the only one who sees the connection here?
It seems to have worked quite well for Schumacher
Old 28 Apr 2001, 17:50 (Ref:86292)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It has been discussed many times last season.

Any regular spectator of F1 wouldn't expect that much from JPM in his last year, and yet he surprised every one in Brazil.
For now, I think Ralfie will prevail most of the times. It's not a question of who is better, because both drivers are talented, and sooner or later will be champions. If it not happens will be circunstances and bad luck.
The moment now is RS. He's in the team helping the development for a long time, and he's confident enough to push the top ones.
Old 28 Apr 2001, 17:53 (Ref:86293)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry...

JPM in his FIRST year....

Old 28 Apr 2001, 19:24 (Ref:86312)   #17
laxman
Racer

Any mr. toya fans,dont get me wrong.But he has disappointed me this year.I see people giving teh main reason as this being his first year.Do you really think that is a valid reason.Just look at the rest of the field.You will find so many other drivers who are also in their first year but have outqualified him in slower cars.
I really dont think he can win any championship if he dosent have the speed.
Old 28 Apr 2001, 19:38 (Ref:86314)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

I'm not a JPM supporter or anyone else on the grid.

But like many others drivers who are now winners, JPM can be outperformed and lack of speed.

The problem was the hype about he entering F1, everyone tends now to measure his skills in terms of TGF and even Senna.... THAT'S TOO EARLY !
Old 28 Apr 2001, 19:52 (Ref:86319)   #19
Piquet
Racer

Piquet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Bloody Hell - give the guy a break !! It is way too early to start saying that he cannot beat Ralf - ralf has far more experience & therefore his "slight" superiority should be expected at this stage. Although nothing can be guaranteed I fully expect a different story next season.

Ralf is a good driver like a lot of others but I believe JPM has something special.

Would this question have been asked if Ralf had not won his first race? - don't think so !!
Old 28 Apr 2001, 21:51 (Ref:86368)   #20
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Juan Montoya has had a pretty interesting first couple of races in F1. He certainly earned another fan in me when he led so brilliantly in Brazil.

But as expected, Ralf is quicker. I always expected that. As Frank Williams said, Ralf Schumacher is a class act in F1. It's not going to be easy for anyone to beat him.

I expect Juan to get closer to Ralf, maybe even out qualify him here and there, but I just believe Ralf is a better driver.

Obviously time will tell whether it stays that way or not.
Old 28 Apr 2001, 22:29 (Ref:86393)   #21
ferra
Rookie

ferra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's way too early to be judging him, he's not even finished a race yet. Give him this season, then take a look at his next, see what he does then.
Ralf should be getting better results as he has considerably more experience in all areas.
Old 29 Apr 2001, 00:42 (Ref:86432)   #22
ally
Rookie

ally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah hem...

Everyone jumped on Ralf (including Montoya) when he said that not too much should be expected too soom. That is, Montoya needs time to settle in. Thus the kindest person so far has been Ralf here!

However I note with Ralfs Girl that Ralf did better in his first year. His main problem was taking it over the limit as he learnt, Montoya has more problems in getting the most out of his car (note in f1 magazine that he was overlaying Ralfs telemetry and trying to match it!).

Having had all the hype - let things settle down, after all Heidfeld and Raikkonen are looking good too.
Old 29 Apr 2001, 02:28 (Ref:86449)   #23
laxman
Racer

lets see how he goes in today's race.I predict he will do fairly badly.
Old 29 Apr 2001, 11:43 (Ref:86521)   #24
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, it's not REALLY a Willy circuit, though the power will come in handy should overtaking into turn 1 be necessary. That being said, Willy is one of the teams (like Ferrari) where the differance between TC (now) and their previous management system (before) is minimal. As a result, they may get a little bit left behind. We'll see.
Old 29 Apr 2001, 12:48 (Ref:86532)   #25
Piquet
Racer

Piquet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
..........( cough, cough)

Based on Ralf's performance today it would appear that JPM does not need to BEAT Ralf - Ralf does the job for him !!!

Tags
jpm