Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 May 2004, 19:15 (Ref:972730)   #1
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DC and Ralf at Toyo in 2005?

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...15102823.shtml

latest rumours suggest that both Toyota drivers will get the axe in 2005.... I feel sorry for Da Matta if this is true... i think he is a good driver and hope he gets a better drive for 2005... meanwhile DC and RS? good pair? certainly in the development side of things and when he wants to RS can be fast as well and so can DC when they want to... but i thought that they would go for a younger driver to pair with RS or keep Da Matta and RS for 2005....
Old 16 May 2004, 19:48 (Ref:972750)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I feel more sorry for Panis to be honest.....the poor guys been wasted since 1997.....

That would be a solid line up for Toyota I think....DC would be great for development work and he's undoubtedly a good, solid racer. Ralf may be awful again, but he could just bring back that magic that he's showed in about two GP's in 7 years.
Old 16 May 2004, 20:00 (Ref:972753)   #3
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two drivers with the ability to be world champions but do not really understand how. Two drivers who occasionally drive an absolutly **** hot race then say to themselves 'how did I do that' but never realise how.Do Toyota not want to be a world champion team? there is so many better choices for next years line up why those two?

[autoscensor missed it - Adam :-)]

Last edited by Adam43; 16 May 2004 at 20:31.
Old 16 May 2004, 23:07 (Ref:972872)   #4
Panzer
Racer

Panzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would not be a bad line up for Toyota, but I think they would be better served with Ralph and Da Matta, Coulthard has never been that good, and would be a waste of time and money at Toyota.
Old 17 May 2004, 06:36 (Ref:972990)   #5
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Changing both drivers seems to be very fashionable in the current times
Old 17 May 2004, 07:42 (Ref:973029)   #6
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Let me see ...

- There's a team with a budget that is either the highest or the second highest in F1.
- The team's performance is immproving, but they are struggling to get their first podium.
- The only 2 non-Ferrari drivers who have been winning races year after year, happen to be available next season ...
Old 17 May 2004, 09:24 (Ref:973108)   #7
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
frankly both of these guys would be an embarasment to toyota
Ralf would demand incredible amounts of money,pretend he is fast,act like a team leader(without doing any usefull leading),****NEVER**** try to pass michael and only be fast on rare ocassions

DC is a reliable slow guy that doesn't deserve a seat anywhere after totally wasting a seat at mclaren for...what was it,20 years?!!
Old 17 May 2004, 10:30 (Ref:973147)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've said it several times, but I believe DC is perfect for Toyota.

His corporate savvy and leadership skills are well proven, he's a great test-driver, and although he lacks the last 5% of speed that makes a champion, Toyota don't need that yet. David can perform consistantly, week in week out, and will never complain when things go wrong.

As for Ralf, I think it's a big risk. Although he's guaranteed to get the team attention, whose to say that his performances will be balanced or consistant. He has a habit of going to sleep in the races, not driving aggressively, and complaining too much. ALthough his high salary won't make a big dent for Toyota, I still feel he'd be a bad choice.

da Matta is fine as the #2 driver now, as he's showed considerable potential and seems like a good team player.
Old 17 May 2004, 11:12 (Ref:973190)   #9
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
I've said it several times, but I believe DC is perfect for Toyota.

His corporate savvy and leadership skills are well proven, he's a great test-driver, and although he lacks the last 5% of speed that makes a champion, Toyota don't need that yet. David can perform consistantly, week in week out, and will never complain when things go wrong.

Where did all that get McLaren last year when Kimi made a right fool of DC? Thats right not very far. Ron loved Davids leadership skills and corporate savvyness so much that he poped his head in the Williams motorhome and bought himself a driver who does not lack the 5% speed that makes a champion. What Toyota need is drivers who will be fast and get the very best out of the car. They need podiums not PR People.

Last edited by hamsmith; 17 May 2004 at 11:12.
Old 17 May 2004, 11:19 (Ref:973198)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
PR people lead to being able to get better staff in though, and make sure the bigwigs continue to back the whole project. Besides, Kimi is developing into a good corporate player, especially as his English improves.

The ideal Toyota duo in my view would be a young charger who cna develop as the car improves alongside someone like DC. Then again, I hate Toyota, so it's no loss to me if they don't.
Old 17 May 2004, 11:23 (Ref:973203)   #11
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota needs to give its drivers a car that is capable of being competitive. I dont see how anyone can say they are improving. They are still stuck on 0 points. Last year they seemed much better. I know it was all down to the tires... been there already!

Their biggest problem, IMO is their approach to the sport itself. All they seem to concentrate on is the commercial aspect of the sport. Sometimes it takes more than money to win races.
Old 17 May 2004, 12:10 (Ref:973237)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If they get rid of Da Matta it will be a step back for sure. They have a long relationship with a good development side.
Old 17 May 2004, 12:35 (Ref:973270)   #13
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I don't think DC and Ralf will end up at Toyota next year. They may well be two candidates for Panis' seat, with da Matta and Zonta squabbling over the other, and Briscoe becoming Friday tester.
Old 17 May 2004, 13:35 (Ref:973334)   #14
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zonta? I hope not...
Old 17 May 2004, 16:19 (Ref:973518)   #15
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota.....

Salo and McNish
Panis and DaMatta
any new drivers ought to think twice.
Old 17 May 2004, 19:23 (Ref:973709)   #16
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Toyota has given up "solid line-up" personnel. McNish and Salo were not WDC competitors by any stretch of the imagination, but they were very impressive the first year Toyota took to the field in actual competition. Toyota (Ove mostly I think) fired them for not producing.

DaMatta and Panis are not WDC competitors by any stretch of the imagination either, but . . . As Ove state last season, "Christian and Olivier know what is required of them . . " They have fallen from grace as did McNish and Salo and will be replaced.

With all of the money Toyota have (second only to Ferrari), it would make a whole lot of sense to me to take a look at the car. Panis is a fantastic driver with a lot of experience. DaMatta is quick and talented. If the 4 drivers they have put on the track, all good drivers, even if not WDC material, can't bring home the bacon and score points, then Toyota needs to look long and hard at the car, IMO.

Nobody wants a contract that basically says if you don't get on the podium, you are finished.
Old 17 May 2004, 23:22 (Ref:973936)   #17
1 Lotus
Rookie

1 Lotus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I sort of agree with that.
Why would anyone, other than an ego maniac, go to a team that keeps sacking drivers who can't get on the podium?

Too bad Monty is going to McLaren. Maybe he could help Toyota.
Old 18 May 2004, 13:45 (Ref:974387)   #18
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think there is anything wrong with the driver lineup at Toyota. DaMatta is a very good racer. He does not have the car to compete. Panis was just as fast as JV when he was at BAR.

The car is ****. If they fix that then their drivers will all of a sudden seem to be "championship material".

Look at it this way, last year JB was not championship material; now he is!!

A certain motor/chassis combination may have something to do with that.