Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 8 May 2011, 14:31 (Ref:2876828)   #101
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So out of interest who is the Mercedes reserve driver? I dont think this race was as bad as some of this others last year...but it was still another tough weekend.

The team are going to struggle to beat Renault as Rosberg is the only one getting points

Surely he wont get a 3rd season, at the moment he seems to just be having consistant small problems that compound one another and stop him getting a result. Must be such a small margin between pushing and pushing too much...but I just dont think he can turn it around?!?!?!
Old 8 May 2011, 14:31 (Ref:2876830)   #102
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
I'm starting to feel a little sorry for Michael.
I text the exact same thing to sato san during the race.

When interviewed by L-Mac after the race i got the impression, for the first time he's wondering why he came back?
Old 9 May 2011, 19:32 (Ref:2877687)   #103
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
This (Turkey) has been one of those days where MS would think about if he must retire for good. Qualifying and race have been disastruous, at least in appearance.

But, ironically, Turkey has been relatively good for Schuey in his quest with/against Nico. Better than China, for sure, and possibly better than Australia (and better than many GPs in 2010). The worst thing is twofold: he fails in the important parts of the weekend (qualifying and race) even if he has decent speed on Free Timed sessions.

And he has been (in public) unfortunate in race incidents in almost every shot of TV cameras. But he has not been particularly slower than NR in race segments, only he complicated himself in qualy and was overzealous (as usual) in race fights.

So far, the resume of every session between those two is:
Code:
       Fri1  Fri2  Sat1   Q1    Q2    Q3    FL   Median Score 
 ============================================================	 
| AUS  +0.5  -0.9  +0.3  +0.1  +0.4  +inf  +1.8   +0.4   6-1 |
| MAL  -0.9  -0.5  -0.0  -0.4  +0.6  +inf  +0.7   -0.0   3-4 |
| CHI  +0.9  +0.2  +0.5  +0.2  +0.6  +inf  +0.0   +0.5   7-0 | 
| TUR  +0.1  +0.5  -0.4  +0.2  +0.3  +1.1  +0.6   +0.3   6-1 |
                      R E S U M E
| Med  +0.3  -0.15 +0.15 +0.15 +0.5  +inf  +0.65  +0.35  6-1 |
| Score 3-1   2-2   2-2   3-1   4-0   4-0   4-0    6-1  22-6 |
The global gap along the sessions is +0.35 and the global score of sessions is 22-6. Those figures are very on line with last season's stats.

It's dismaying to see the 8-0 in qualifying and race, with a gap of around 0.5 secs. In terms of grid positions they are one of the most separate team mates in the field.

As someone noted before in this thread, the question now is becoming to be "Who is Merc's reserve driver?". Secondly, it is becoming less striking a "sudden" announcement of Michael retirement (although I think it is more probable he goes on for a while).
Old 9 May 2011, 19:33 (Ref:2877689)   #104
Empty Box
Rookie

Empty Box should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should have been wondering that a year ago. Honestly though, I think he was a product of the time. Great driver? Of course. But, considering he absolutely dominated in Ferrari's that his teammates were routinely capable of winning in if he weren't there, I'm not so sure.

Quite clearly the Mercedes is no where near the cars he had been winning in prior. Kinda feel sorry for him, no doubt in my mind it tarnishes his records.

Reminds me of Heidfeld with BMW. Has the skill, is decently fast compared to his teammate, but still managed to go backwards in the pack far too often.
Old 9 May 2011, 19:47 (Ref:2877698)   #105
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
I think MS was a fantastic driver in his Benetton and very first Ferrari years, not sure in the rest of his uber winning later Ferrari titles (where I think he was "merely" a very, very good driver).

One of the reasons for I admire Jack Brabham is his performance along so different seasons. Particularly I admire his 1970 season. He was in the top with very different cars respect those in his first years and against a different generation of younger and talented drivers (Rindt, Stewart,...). And don't forget 1970 were a very dangerous epoch in F1 and Jack was 44 in that year... An underrated champion and a striking off topic by me!
Old 9 May 2011, 20:58 (Ref:2877748)   #106
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy View Post
. An underrated champion
Agreed.

A triple world champion and a champion with his own (and Ron Tauranac's) chassis.

So, Schuey VS Brabham..
Old 9 May 2011, 21:07 (Ref:2877757)   #107
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael and brawn have alot to do, suffice to say TGF is great and I wouldn't doubt he is doing a lot of development work on track, he is agreat number 2 driver as well as a team lead
It can come that he gets on it with a litttle aero magic. Really what is Mercedes gp doing wrong. And michaels pass on massa was good fun and shows he is still the driver he was, the car isn't
where nick will drive aand adapt michael's history shows he builds the car to him and there is something there I think
Old 9 May 2011, 21:38 (Ref:2877777)   #108
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
Michael and brawn have alot to do, suffice to say TGF is great and I wouldn't doubt he is doing a lot of development work on track, he is agreat number 2 driver as well as a team lead
It can come that he gets on it with a litttle aero magic. Really what is Mercedes gp doing wrong. And michaels pass on massa was good fun and shows he is still the driver he was, the car isn't
where nick will drive aand adapt michael's history shows he builds the car to him and there is something there I think
He did a brilliant move round the outside of someone (don't think it was Massa, the one I'm thinking of), but still the driver he was? And I thoroughly have to dispute this thing about him building the car too him. He is being plain dominated by Rosberg.

Rosberg should get more credit.
Old 10 May 2011, 14:46 (Ref:2878138)   #109
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone else seen this :-

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/100520...nd-season.html

Schumi's former team mate's opinion. Got to admit after Sunday's race I started to feel sorry Schumi.
Old 10 May 2011, 15:20 (Ref:2878162)   #110
gttouring
Veteran

It is sad. But he is very good and I would not writehim off, he needs a goal bigger than a win he needs a record to break. He needs a deeper motivation. The field is very good likely the best in years, but his presence as a force on track has left this was a big bit of his arsenal. The car though is not a clear wiinner yet, look how much trouble Ferrari is having now- and alonso is on of the greats in team buildiing and sheer pace and bravery.
Old 10 May 2011, 16:37 (Ref:2878213)   #111
Empty Box
Rookie

Empty Box should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He needs a deeper motivation.
What, proving most people wrong and making them eat their words isn't enough motivation? Proving that you weren't just a product of being the best team's best driver?

If he needs more motivation at this point, he might as well retire now.
Old 10 May 2011, 16:38 (Ref:2878215)   #112
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't feel sorry for TGF at all. I am glad he came back to showcase his disgusting, abject racing etiquette in the midfield. Hopefully he will have many more seasons yet.

This is not to say he wasn't/isn't supremely talented.
Old 10 May 2011, 16:53 (Ref:2878232)   #113
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
knowlesy, say what you mean, don't beat about the bush
Old 10 May 2011, 17:01 (Ref:2878242)   #114
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
TGF receives kiss of death: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91313
Old 10 May 2011, 17:04 (Ref:2878248)   #115
Mr V
Veteran

England
Ouch! Kiss of death indeed

I'm honestly beginning to think that Michael would willingly go before Merc pushed him. The interview after Turkey, said, to me, that he's not sure he wants to do it anymore.
Old 10 May 2011, 17:14 (Ref:2878256)   #116
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

It's strange though. When he was racing with the Virgin and Toro Rosso guys last year he was claiming to be enjoying it.

It's almost as if he was putting on a brave face.
Old 10 May 2011, 17:40 (Ref:2878276)   #117
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I think he was putting on a brave face last year. He was always a bit of an actor.
Old 10 May 2011, 18:18 (Ref:2878300)   #118
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

The good old Norbert sometimes can be funny:

"I understand why: people expect the very highest level of performance from Michael and Mercedes, which is fully in line with our own targets."
Old 10 May 2011, 18:35 (Ref:2878311)   #119
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy View Post
The good old Norbert sometimes can be funny:

"I understand why: people expect the very highest level of performance from Michael and Mercedes, which is fully in line with our own targets."
Maybe he's talking Daimler?
Old 10 May 2011, 20:41 (Ref:2878400)   #120
gttouring
Veteran

I would like to see a lap time analysis of the races and see where itputs him without the contact incidents. Schumi might try spearing another lemans effort for merc that would be cool too. Honestly I want him to win again, I want to watch history and see a legend in front of my eyes do what people said was not going to happen.
Old 10 May 2011, 20:52 (Ref:2878406)   #121
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Apparently he would have finished 6th or 7th had it not been for the incidents.
Old 10 May 2011, 21:03 (Ref:2878414)   #122
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That sounds about right.
Old 10 May 2011, 21:22 (Ref:2878427)   #123
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

And my mother would be a car if she had wheels.
Old 10 May 2011, 22:33 (Ref:2878460)   #124
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

The incident with Petrov really was a pity for him. He seemed to be tempted to turn in, then appeared to have realised to be patient, then at the last moment turned anyway even though Petrov was right there. It was really poor racecraft at any level of motorsport.
Old 11 May 2011, 02:06 (Ref:2878515)   #125
gttouring
Veteran

Petrov isn't wiley but a touch ham fisted in a car, Michael is wiley, he clubber in the renault had a big car there. The tv angles didn't let me see hesitation ofcourse the whole race had guys doing this to eachother. Lol
Closed Thread