Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Jan 2024, 21:58 (Ref:4190630)   #126
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
If the cars are that vivid green with the black like their instagram stuff, that would be pretty cool and different.

Reality: bog average carbon black with a couple of tiny stickers to lower the cars' weight.
Old 2 Jan 2024, 23:49 (Ref:4190638)   #127
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
If the cars are that vivid green with the black like their instagram stuff, that would be pretty cool and different.
What the customer/sponsor wants (and might get)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Reality: bog average carbon black with a couple of tiny stickers to lower the cars' weight.
What the engineering team is hoping for.

I guess it depends upon how much they paid for sponsorship. I am tired of the basic black cars.

Richard
Old 10 Jan 2024, 17:11 (Ref:4191339)   #128
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Guenther Steiner has apparently been replaced as team principle. to be replaced by Ayao Komatsu.

https://racer.com/2024/01/10/steiner...eam-principal/

crazy!
Old 10 Jan 2024, 17:17 (Ref:4191341)   #129
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
and no one told him!

https://twitter.com/HaasF1TeamBoss/s...29384187486381

unsure if this is true, that it is true and he was the last to know, or he's just having fun with this story. good times!

edit: i dont actually even know if thats his real twitter page! guess im old like that!
Old 10 Jan 2024, 17:41 (Ref:4191347)   #130
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
and no one told him!

https://twitter.com/HaasF1TeamBoss/s...29384187486381

unsure if this is true, that it is true and he was the last to know, or he's just having fun with this story. good times!

edit: i dont actually even know if thats his real twitter page! guess im old like that!
I "think" that is his Twitter account. No indication that it's a fake or joke account.

I like Gunther in the same style of we all like Kimi. But frankly, I can see that maybe a change was needed? But who knows if removing Gunther was the change that needed to be made? It's hard to remain at the top of a failed org for a long time without it catching up to you. Haas technical director Simone Resta also left (announced today or yesterday I think)

Crazy times.

Richard
Old 10 Jan 2024, 17:43 (Ref:4191348)   #131
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Guenther Steiner has apparently been replaced as team principle. to be replaced by Ayao Komatsu.

crazy!

And also Haas' technical director, Resta., according to Motorsport.com.

Edit: Richard beat me to it!
Old 10 Jan 2024, 17:51 (Ref:4191349)   #132
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:

crazy!

I think they would have been better keeping what they know, rather than an unknown like that
Old 10 Jan 2024, 17:57 (Ref:4191350)   #133
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm sure we have a poster here who knows exactly what is going on.
Old 10 Jan 2024, 18:07 (Ref:4191352)   #134
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
I "think" that is his Twitter account. No indication that it's a fake or joke account.
indeed looks real. he has posted a bunch of subsequent messages of thanks on it.

he was a great personality, and totally very much of the tell it like is is/why we all like Kimi mold, and will definitely be missed...until he gets a job as a pundit which i hope he does even if it is with SKY!

to your point that perhaps change was needed...time will tell if this is the right move for the team, but imo they could have handled/coordinated the change over in a better more organized way. at least the public side of it.
Old 10 Jan 2024, 18:52 (Ref:4191356)   #135
Richard C
Veteran

Its hard to not run wild with crazy speculation...

* What will Drive to Survive do without Steiner?
* Is Andretti going to buy Haas?

Richard
Old 10 Jan 2024, 18:59 (Ref:4191357)   #136
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I'm sure we have a poster here who knows exactly what is going on.

I'm surprised, and what's more, disappointed, that it wasn't signposted on here a day or so ago!
Old 10 Jan 2024, 20:15 (Ref:4191363)   #137
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I'm surprised, and what's more, disappointed, that it wasn't signposted on here a day or so ago!
Ouch, and well done both.

Here's to Steiner getting the Andretti gig when they buy their way in
Old 11 Jan 2024, 02:12 (Ref:4191390)   #138
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
Its hard to not run wild with crazy speculation...

* What will Drive to Survive do without Steiner?
* Is Andretti going to buy Haas?

Richard
Ya know… a purchase of the underperforming HaasF1 and the shard of Stewart Haas NASCAR team might make sense for Andretti Global.

Bang into two of the largest championships in the world without the growing pains of a startup…
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 11 Jan 2024, 03:29 (Ref:4191397)   #139
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Ya know… a purchase of the underperforming HaasF1 and the shard of Stewart Haas NASCAR team might make sense for Andretti Global.

Bang into two of the largest championships in the world without the growing pains of a startup…
I have seen someone else suggest Andretti partnering with Haas... Andretti/Haas F1. If something like that were to happen, they would need to break from Ferrari assuming Andretti would bring the GM funded power unit.

Honestly, as long as Haas is super dependent upon Ferrari I don't see them making any significant steps forward. I would also love to know what the internal thoughts are regarding Dallara. How influential is Dallara in the design these days? And I think as Ferrari had to slim down to meet cost caps, didn't some of those cast off from Ferrari move to Haas. And I can't imagine Ferrari sending off their best and brightest to Haas? Who is in the drivers seat with respect to the design of the Haas? And is Haas happy with that? Be it Dallara or Haas (with ex-Ferrari staff) itself, they can't be happy.

Richard
Old 11 Jan 2024, 07:08 (Ref:4191405)   #140
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think they would have been better keeping what they know, rather than an unknown like that
He’s hardly an unknown!
Old 11 Jan 2024, 12:12 (Ref:4191421)   #141
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
He’s hardly an unknown!

Not everyone is in the know, rubbing shoulders with those in the paddock.
Old 11 Jan 2024, 13:05 (Ref:4191429)   #142
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
He’s hardly an unknown!
Can you provide sources to support his team management skills are a known commodity, ie when was he team principal before
Old 11 Jan 2024, 13:44 (Ref:4191435)   #143
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Can you provide sources to support his team management skills are a known commodity, ie when was he team principal before
Is there some sort of rule that says a person can't be promoted into a role before they've done that role elsewhere? Seems like a recipe for a shrinking closed shop to me.
Old 11 Jan 2024, 13:48 (Ref:4191436)   #144
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Is there some sort of rule that says a person can't be promoted into a role before they've done that role elsewhere? Seems like a recipe for a shrinking closed shop to me.
I just meant in response to the "an unknown" and then the generally he's known.

No, I have no problem with new blood and in fact think in most sports the closed shop recycling of TP/HC/upper management needs to be stopped. It was just a correcting the assumption by one user
Old 11 Jan 2024, 14:01 (Ref:4191439)   #145
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Sounds like he’s been in F1 for about 20 years in various engineering roles with different teams and drivers and with Haas since they started so I assume he’s well known in the paddock. Probably would be more well known to fans had he worked for a higher profile team.

Knows the team and how it operates so that’s a plus. Always a question about to hire from within or bring in someone from outside who will take time to learn the team and operation from zero. On paper seems like a more sound choice than say when Williams brought in Adam Parr to run their team. I suppose Otmar is available but that would be like his 3rd team in 4 years(?) so question marks on him.

Get the sense that this was a late decision or at least one that was made quickly and without the benefit of being able to do a prolonged search…hiring from within makes sense?

Curious to see what he can do.
Old 11 Jan 2024, 14:11 (Ref:4191442)   #146
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you read all the media reports, getting cash from either the owner or external brand is the key to spending at the OpEx and CapEx cost caps for the series.

Not sure an engineer is best placed for such things, but you never know.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 11 Jan 2024, 14:13 (Ref:4191444)   #147
Richard C
Veteran

I have some additional thoughts now that more details are trickling out. I found these articles to be interesting...

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/w...-steiner-left/

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ge...form/10564682/

I suspect one or both of those articles was lifted from this interview (which requires an account which I don't have setup)

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...JLV19Atf4.html

Note below I will say "Haas" and I really mean Gene Haas and not the team as a whole.

* I don't have issues with Komatsu being promoted into the team. Yes, a more traditional route would be to hire someone with existing F1 TP experience, or maybe a TP from another top series. But Haas states he is a believer in promoting from within as that is how he does it at Haas Automation. There are pros/cons to this approach. It does reduce ramp up time (as Haas notes), but it also makes it harder to bring in new ideas from outside. I am curious to see what a new Haas F1 Team looks like under Komatsu. I wish him and the team well. I also can imagine that the timing of all of this disruption can't be good for Haas performance in the 2024 season. They still have other gaps in the org to fill beyond just Steiner.

* I suspect Steiner may not have been totally shocked he was let go. I think we can trust that he wasn't told in advance of it hitting the press, but I can imagine there have been some recent "hard" conversations between him and Haas regarding the team future. Maybe more details will come out on this.

* It sounds like both Haas and Steiner thinks something needs to change. The problem is they have very different opinions as to the path forward. Haas feels they should be doing better than they are with the current resources. Steiner thinks they need to invest more. The articles speculate that while Haas isn't happy dragging around at the back of the grid, he may not also be obsessively driven to be at the top either. That from a marketing perspective something less than dead last might be acceptable if not ideal. Plus being so far down in the final results has funding implications. Haas would prefer to be getting a larger percentage of the championship revenue sharing by placing higher. But in the end, Steiner getting the boot is a reflection of team (poor) performance.

* Haas remains a believer in the current structure of strong partnership with Ferrari. And that is likely to continue into and through 2026.

* The articles speculate that Komatsu has basically told Haas what he wants to hear. That Komatsu lobbied for the role. Steiner not agreeing with Haas's ideas. So Steiner out Komatsu in. I think only Haas and Komatsu knows what happened.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 11 Jan 2024 at 14:18.
Old 11 Jan 2024, 14:24 (Ref:4191447)   #148
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I do sympathise with Steiner. He was doing his best with what he had. Haas are a serious team, but you wonder how much interest Gene is putting in. In some ways I feel Guenther has been made a scapegoat and really Komatsu has a lot of work if he is turn Haas around. Frankly I can see him finding it tougher than Steiner did
Old 11 Jan 2024, 14:39 (Ref:4191451)   #149
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Yes, it’s utter nonsense. Like calling someone who’s worked in F1 in increasingly senior roles for over 20 years an “unknown.”
Old 11 Jan 2024, 14:51 (Ref:4191453)   #150
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Who has claimed he was a TP before? Nobody I am aware of.