Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 30 Mar 2009, 00:22 (Ref:2428550)   #101
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what we were told in Melbourne a light comes on in the cockpit to indicate the car is safe.

All marshals who might have to touch a car was given three pairs of gloves at the weekend.

First you put on a pair of cotton gloves to reduce sweating,

then a pair of 1000v thick rubber electrical insulting gloves,

followed by a pair of leather "riggers" gloves which are designed to protect the 1000v gloves from damage.

It was also decided that if the vehicle didn't display the OK light a marshal was to signal by raising both arms in the air so it could be called into RC for further advice.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 08:53 (Ref:2428787)   #102
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So you have to get awfully close to the car to see into the cockpit for the status of the light.
Plus in confusion how many more nice coloured lights are gonna be showing in the cockpit.....
Old 30 Mar 2009, 12:51 (Ref:2428964)   #103
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
From what we were told in Melbourne a light comes on in the cockpit to indicate the car is safe.
...or that there's a short circuit meaning the whole car is live resulting in the light coming on.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 04:52 (Ref:2430279)   #104
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post

All marshals who might have to touch a car was given three pairs of gloves at the weekend.

First you put on a pair of cotton gloves to reduce sweating,

then a pair of 1000v thick rubber electrical insulting gloves,

followed by a pair of leather "riggers" gloves which are designed to protect the 1000v gloves from damage.

It was also decided that if the vehicle didn't display the OK light a marshal was to signal by raising both arms in the air so it could be called into RC for further advice.
Just to make PVDA's post a little clearer, here are some photos that I took on the weekend.

Here is one with the three layers of protection

And Firemarshall Ian wearing the cotton gloves

And then the Latex glove with leather outer
Old 1 Apr 2009, 10:03 (Ref:2430432)   #105
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
Col_Rugby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like he's a vet in training & some poor cow is just about to get 1 hell of a suprise.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 17:15 (Ref:2430732)   #106
alimcb
Racer

Scotland
Northampton
alimcb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do hope these photos are another April fool joke...

But after a quick net search it seems they're not. I am a member of the Institution of Engineering & Technology, and I think it's time I wrote to their monthly magazine to raise this issue within the profession.

Last edited by alimcb; 1 Apr 2009 at 17:22. Reason: Further information found
Old 1 Apr 2009, 18:08 (Ref:2430760)   #107
morwenna
Racer

morwenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the info from Melbourne. There's an article about KERS in this weeks New Scientist, which is quite interesting: http://www.newscientist.com/article/...what-risk.html
Old 2 Apr 2009, 19:02 (Ref:2431716)   #108
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new edition of the marshal is due out anytime now and includes a lengthy article on KERS and alternative fuels by John Symes from the MSA.

I hope it answers many of the questions you all must have - but if there are any outstanding ones, please let John or myself know so they can be followed up.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 19:12 (Ref:2432681)   #109
alimcb
Racer

Scotland
Northampton
alimcb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just got my copy of The Marshal yesterday, and for me it has answered the missing link in this debate. There will be 2 shutdown handles, either one discharges the system, and an indication light which will come on when the system is inert. The gloves will provide protection against high voltages that might be present around the shutdown handle, after a big accident for example.

In response to Woolley's comment: the KERS "OK" light is very unlikely to come on without being deliberately driven on by the KERS control system. A short circuit occurs when current bypasses the electrical load it is meant to be driving. Any kind of short circuit will either bypass the KERS status light (i.e. it stays off) or pop a fuse somewhere (again, the light stays off).

This works the opposite way round to, say, the airbag warning light on your car, which is permanently on unless it's being held off by the airbag control unit. So in this case, a broken wire always brings the light on, telling you something is wrong. The warning light shares its power supply and ground with everything else in the instrument cluster, so it can't fail "off" on its own, all or a substantial portion of the cluster's other warnings and gauges will go down at the same time.

They seem to have kept things nice and simple with the KERS regulations and I now can't see why it's inherently any more dangerous than what we're used to dealing with.

Anyway, on a lighter note, it's 2CV racing at Silverstone tomorrow, and one KERS system has the power output of more than two 2CV engines!
Old 4 Apr 2009, 08:54 (Ref:2433006)   #110
Startline Ed
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Startline Ed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watching F1 qually build up we saw Kimi Raikkonen's battery melt. Whilst the mechanics were recovering the battery they were wearing respirators. Would these be necessary for marshals or just for mechanics whilst getting the battery out? I suppose it depends where the batteries are, etc.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 08:58 (Ref:2433008)   #111
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ed, the mechanics were wearing the masks because Raikkonen's fire extinguisher had gone off, and they didn't want to breathe in the halon gas which F1 cars are still allowed to use. Unfortunately Raikkonen wasn't so lucky!
Old 4 Apr 2009, 09:29 (Ref:2433026)   #112
Startline Ed
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Startline Ed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks burnsie. I thought they stopped using halon after the benetton pit fire.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 09:33 (Ref:2433031)   #113
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had thought that halon extinguishers were only found inside aeroplanes these days, but David Croft said that it was halon during the live FP1 commentary...
Old 24 Apr 2009, 00:03 (Ref:2448264)   #114
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Rugby View Post
Looks like he's a vet in training & some poor cow is just about to get 1 hell of a suprise.

Like this guy is about to??

Old 11 May 2009, 16:39 (Ref:2460245)   #115
daviesfever
Rookie

Wales
port talbot
daviesfever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice to see the spanish marshals putting on marigolds at the gp,suppose this will become the norm and we will be handed our washing up gloves at silverstone