Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 10 Nov 2008, 13:14 (Ref:2332452)   #1
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Speedferries

The news is not good for speedferries, no service at the moment and as the french have thier only boat it looks bad.

Had not booked yet but it looks like a french company is about to start a Dover Boulogne service, coincidence that french port authority take action against speedferries or?
Old 12 Nov 2008, 08:57 (Ref:2333591)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Further news this morning, the port of Dover authority is now also taking action against speedferries so it looks like we will have to use someone else this year.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 12:29 (Ref:2333660)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Use Norfolk Line they are really cheap
Old 12 Nov 2008, 13:03 (Ref:2333694)   #4
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
I think I will leave booking ferries until closer to the event, don't think its wise to let them have my money 8 months before when most ferry companies are looking slightly less than secure in the current enviroment.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 09:19 (Ref:2334120)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Just had a look at other companies on Dover route.

For wednesday 10th to sunday 14th

Eurotunnel £88
P & O £60
Norfolk Line £34
Sea France £49

So for speed use eurotunnel
For Cheapness use Norfolk Line (although slow and extra mileage in France)
For Comfort use Sea france or P & O
Old 13 Nov 2008, 15:20 (Ref:2334331)   #6
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
just heard that speedferries have now been taken into administration
Old 18 Nov 2008, 20:54 (Ref:2337199)   #7
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have just booked my ferries, I am using Sea France, going out Wednesday morning back Monday afternoon all for £64. Bargin in my book.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 14:12 (Ref:2338884)   #8
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
I have just heard that norfolk line are offering people who had speedferries bookings 20% off, so if you want to take up thier offer, or you could wait until closer to the date and not risk losing any more money
Old 23 Nov 2008, 13:13 (Ref:2340162)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
I have just booked my ferries, I am using Sea France, going out Wednesday morning back Monday afternoon all for �64. Bargin in my book.

Assuming the � is a £-sign Rob, that's dirt cheap!
Old 23 Nov 2008, 16:48 (Ref:2340240)   #10
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Assuming the � is a £-sign Rob, that's dirt cheap!
Have you seen the Sea France boat? Rob will be down below rowing the thing!

If we decide to make the trip next year, I expect we will use the Tunnel, paid for with Tesco Club Card vouchers, Or we may try LD Lines from Newhaven.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 14:01 (Ref:2342137)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Do him good!
Old 26 Mar 2009, 10:43 (Ref:2425144)   #12
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Has any ten tenther used LD Lines from Dover to Boulogne yet? They've been running now for around six weeks. I'd be interested to hear any experiences.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 17:43 (Ref:2425405)   #13
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
Has any ten tenther used LD Lines from Dover to Boulogne yet? They've been running now for around six weeks. I'd be interested to hear any experiences.
Yes, I've used it twice. Highly recommended and great value, currently offering around £45 return for a car+2 Dover-Boulogne out Weds 10/06 back Mon 15/06.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 06:28 (Ref:2425870)   #14
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpy View Post
Yes, I've used it twice. Highly recommended and great value, currently offering around £45 return for a car+2 Dover-Boulogne out Weds 10/06 back Mon 15/06.
You'll be outbound a day earlier, but we'll be on the same return. I Hope you don't turn green when I tell you I paid £35 for my return
Old 27 Mar 2009, 07:36 (Ref:2425898)   #15
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
You'll be outbound a day earlier, but we'll be on the same return. I Hope you don't turn green when I tell you I paid £35 for my return
You're making assumptions. Have a closer look and see where I live
Old 27 Mar 2009, 08:22 (Ref:2425922)   #16
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
There is just one problem with LD lines, like speedferries they only have 1 boat on the Dover, Boulogne route and delays and problems mean that no alternative but to wait, also unlike speedferries they use traditional ferries and are very slow. However they are currently the cheapest way to cross the channel and take you 20 miles closer to Le mans than Calais. Using Tesco vouchers the tunnel can work out cheaper and is more reliable/quicker.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 09:16 (Ref:2425963)   #17
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
There is just one problem with LD lines, like speedferries they only have 1 boat on the Dover, Boulogne route and delays and problems mean that no alternative but to wait, also unlike speedferries they use traditional ferries and are very slow. However they are currently the cheapest way to cross the channel and take you 20 miles closer to Le mans than Calais. Using Tesco vouchers the tunnel can work out cheaper and is more reliable/quicker.
My experience with Eurotunnel is that they are anything but reliable.

Cancellations, delays, breakdowns - I've had 'em all!
Certainly the're normally quicker, but it's so boring.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2425966)   #18
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpy View Post
You're making assumptions. Have a closer look and see where I live
My apologies - you're quite right! I was assuming that you were making the crossings you listed. On the other hand, another member of our party is making exactly the same crossings as I am (out Thursday, back Monday) but only booked two weeks ago and has paid £80 as opposed to my £35
Old 27 Mar 2009, 10:33 (Ref:2426009)   #19
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
My experience with Eurotunnel is that they are anything but reliable.

Cancellations, delays, breakdowns - I've had 'em all!
Certainly the're normally quicker, but it's so boring.
Yes they are incredibly boring journeys on the tunnel but last LD ferry back on Sunday would mean that I would miss the last few hours of the race, and having stayed on the campsite sunday night once, never again! prefer to head home on sunday.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 22:07 (Ref:2428447)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
One of the things I've always loved about the way we do Le Mans is that we head back to the coast on Sunday but stay the night In France. OK, it adds to the expense, but it's a lovely way to wind down after the exertions of the week/weekend.....
Old 30 Mar 2009, 07:16 (Ref:2428711)   #21
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
One of the things I've always loved about the way we do Le Mans is that we head back to the coast on Sunday but stay the night In France. OK, it adds to the expense, but it's a lovely way to wind down after the exertions of the week/weekend.....
And we do a sort of half way compromise: we stay at our secret campsite on the Sunday night - relaxed, quiet, a good meal, marginal additional expense; then make a leisurely de-camp on Monday morning and head for the channel ports through reasonable traffic for a late afternoon crossing.

However, even then, the gendarmes are out in force with their radar guns.

I'm all in favour of maximum time spent in France!
Old 30 Mar 2009, 12:17 (Ref:2428939)   #22
Elaviel
Racer

England
Kent
Elaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridElaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats all weel and good if u haven't gotta go to work on the monday!
Old 30 Mar 2009, 14:16 (Ref:2429019)   #23
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaviel View Post
Thats all weel and good if u haven't gotta go to work on the monday!

Aaah! the blessings of being retired! Although we used to head for home on the Monday even when I was working.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 16:12 (Ref:2429096)   #24
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Aaah! the blessings of being retired! Although we used to head for home on the Monday even when I was working.
Likewise.
I always take Thursday, Friday, Monday off, but always go down on Friday am and back on Monday.
I love Arnage on Sunday evening.
It's starting to get real now - not long to go...
Old 30 Mar 2009, 17:29 (Ref:2429138)   #25
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Le Vieux;2428711]And we do a sort of half way compromise: we stay at our secret campsite on the Sunday night - relaxed, quiet, a good meal, marginal additional expense;

QUOTE]

Mmm sounds good, how big a secret is it ?

We stay at the municipal site at La Suze, which is lovely on the Sunday night after the race, very chilled and relaxing.