Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Feb 2014, 20:51 (Ref:3363800)   #2576
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entry questions:

What are the chances of the 02 Ganassi Ford EcoBoost going full time?
What are the chances of Gainsco coming back at all?
Is the Starworks DP effort just enduros or are they full time?
Old 3 Feb 2014, 21:03 (Ref:3363809)   #2577
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
The point is it's faster to leave the engine running. The fact that these teams decided it was safer to NOT use everything in the rule book and LOSE time is a big deal. In a class as competitive as GTLM you fight and claw for tenths of a second on the track and in the pit stops.

I applaud the effort AND the fact that none of the teams made a big deal about it to try and throw IMSA under the bus.

-mike

The rule was made without consideration of the cars - some of them have fillers above exhaust exit or glowing brake rotor, they were designed for ALMS and FIA rules. A proper "merger" should have considered that.
Old 3 Feb 2014, 22:13 (Ref:3363831)   #2578
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Entry questions:

What are the chances of the 02 Ganassi Ford EcoBoost going full time?
What are the chances of Gainsco coming back at all?
Is the Starworks DP effort just enduros or are they full time?
Ganassi 02 probably dependent on funding, and whether Sage Karam would be willing to join for the full season. Kanaan and Dixon can't be used again due to shared weekends with Indycar.

I'll bet Gainsco will be at the rest of the NAEC (possibly skipping Sebring), though without Gidley as they let him recover.

The Starworks Riley-Dinan was a one-off, but according to rumors they might run Honda-badged Riley DPs later in the season (possibly Sebring)
Old 3 Feb 2014, 23:45 (Ref:3363861)   #2579
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
How was it a "finger?"

Rules stipulate you're allowed to keep the motor running...not that it's mandatory. They all just did something they were more comfortable with.
Because with a organization that is as obsessed with control as NASCAR is a gentleman's agreement to not follow the rules is a big f you.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 00:08 (Ref:3363868)   #2580
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Was it actually taken like that or is it just how you want it to be seen?

I like the idea of the teams getting together and deciding what's best with something like this. Is it really a slight against the governing body? Or did they think it good too. Or are they over it. Or are the foaming at the mouth, but calming themselves down by looking at a photo of Earnhardt Jr holding a kitten?

Mountain or mole hill? Any real indication?
Old 4 Feb 2014, 00:17 (Ref:3363872)   #2581
Cheyne
Racer

United States
Warrenton, VA
Cheyne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeast View Post
Because with a organization that is as obsessed with control as NASCAR is a gentleman's agreement to not follow the rules is a big f you.
How is following the rules giving a big f you to the series or anyone else?

36.2. (TUSC) Refueling is permitted at any time during the pit stop. The engine may be running.

If IMSA wanted to obsess with control they would have made the rule that you have to leave the engine running or have to turn it off during the pit stop. Instead they accommodate both series with the word "may".

After close to 30 years in road racing what I have learned about gentleman's agreements is that they are good right up to the point that one of the teams decades that they can gain an advantage by ignoring the agreement.

Cheyne
Old 4 Feb 2014, 07:30 (Ref:3363939)   #2582
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
IIRC some DPs were shutting ocf their engines as well, so I really don't see how that is such a big deal.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 13:44 (Ref:3364041)   #2583
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
DSC are reporting that we may see another part-time GTD entry for a few races later this season: Team LNT with a Ginetta G55 GT3. (can't link to story with Tapatalk)
Old 4 Feb 2014, 13:48 (Ref:3364042)   #2584
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Just when you thought GTD couldn't get any more varied, it does. Dailysportscar.com's headline says it all: “Team LNT Set To Commit Ginetta G55 GT3 to TUSCC Programme.” The key quote:
Quote:
There is no grid slot available at Sebring, IMSA reporting a full 68 car grid, but the Team LNT outfit are likely to seek to confirm, with the Championship organisers, a programme of at least four races later in the season with Lawrence Tomlinson likely to share the car with Ginetta factory driver Mike Simpson.
Also, the Nissan GT-R is now expected to make an appearance perahps at VIR.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 13:58 (Ref:3364044)   #2585
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Mr. Hedlund is seeing it as GTLM teams saying "We'll make our own, safe and sensible rules, thanks very much NASCAR," in effect telling TUSC that the GTLM teams know how to do it better.

Since All GTLM teams did this voluntarily on every stop throughout the 24 hours, as opposed to a few DP teams which might have done it at different times for different reasons, the coordinated action carries much more weight. Coordinated > coincidental.

Not picking sides, just trying to clarify.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 14:16 (Ref:3364054)   #2586
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Just when you thought GTD couldn't get any more varied, it does. Dailysportscar.com's headline says it all: “Team LNT Set To Commit Ginetta G55 GT3 to TUSCC Programme.” The key quote:
Hate to break it to you, but that's a tubeframe car. That means talking about it with anything resembling a positive attitude is a big no-no.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 15:08 (Ref:3364070)   #2587
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post
A 2nd United States race and a real effort in GTLM is the only thing keeping me from jumping ship from TUSC to the WEC.

Just to clarify, GTLM had the gentleman's agreement due to safety AND because their fuel systems weren't designed for re-fueling while running. I'm shocked nobody other than Risi wants to run a 458 in GTLM...
But you are forgetting about Krohn Racing with their 458, although they are not a full season entry. They are currently only doing the four NAEC races, plus Laguna Seca and COTA.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 16:14 (Ref:3364085)   #2588
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Hate to break it to you, but that's a tubeframe car. That means talking about it with anything resembling a positive attitude is a big no-no.
But that is the frame on which it exists in the "real world". It is not a silhouette on a spec Riley frame to allow a car which has no business in GT participate in a marketing exercise... A little different.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 16:49 (Ref:3364096)   #2589
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
But that is the frame on which it exists in the "real world". It is not a silhouette on a spec Riley frame to allow a car which has no business in GT participate in a marketing exercise... A little different.
Naw, just the frame on which it would exist in the real world if they ever managed to sell some roadcars. AFAIK the only models they plan on selling for road use are the G40 and the mid-engined G60.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 16:58 (Ref:3364099)   #2590
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No need to beat a dead horse ... particularly a straw horse. If a car comes from the factory with a tube frame, and the racing version uses that frame, it is a real GT car. If a spec tube frame is clothed in generic panels, it is a tube-framed prototype.

Anyway ... far as I know generic tubers are not allowed within TUSC regs, so anyone looking for a fight needs to fight with NASCAR, good luck.

Ginetta might need a waiver, but I also don't think there is a minimum homologation number any more. I for one would welcome the variety.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 17:11 (Ref:3364100)   #2591
somebodysb2
Racer

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
somebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsomebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Ginetta might need a waiver, but I also don't think there is a minimum homologation number any more. I for one would welcome the variety.
The Ginetta's homologation is National GT3. Needed a waiver to compete in British GT with the full fat, FIA approved GT3 cars.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 17:16 (Ref:3364101)   #2592
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
If a car comes from the factory with a tube frame, and the racing version uses that frame, it is a real GT car.
If there is no road-version of it, it really isn't a GT-car, though, but a prototype or maybe a kitcar.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 19:22 (Ref:3364139)   #2593
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
No need to beat a dead horse ... particularly a straw horse. If a car comes from the factory with a tube frame, and the racing version uses that frame, it is a real GT car. If a spec tube frame is clothed in generic panels, it is a tube-framed prototype.
This is what I was getting at.

Quote:
If there is no road-version of it, it really isn't a GT-car, though, but a prototype or maybe a kitcar.
Good point although it is really a just hot rod version of the G40. Same argument as the Z4 GTE with the 4.4 L V8 I guess. (Sorry, I know, I know. )
Old 5 Feb 2014, 14:42 (Ref:3364447)   #2594
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
IIRC some DPs were shutting ocf their engines as well, so I really don't see how that is such a big deal.

Probably the same reason as the GTLM teams - look at where the exhausts are relative to the fuel filler on the Gainsco car for one. Imagine gas dripping on a hot running exhaust. The rules don't fit the cars they're made for, or more correctly, these aren't Sprint cup cars.
Old 5 Feb 2014, 16:02 (Ref:3364474)   #2595
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will the schedule be modified in anyway still you think? I for one would like to see P and GT split races for Cota, Indy, and Road America as long as both are the full 2 hr 45 minute race still. If thats the case I'd focus on the GT one of course..then again maybe it won't happen cause IMSA would probably find out that the GTs would get more fan attention than their precious DP cars.
Old 5 Feb 2014, 16:22 (Ref:3364481)   #2596
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Will the schedule be modified in anyway still you think? I for one would like to see P and GT split races for Cota, Indy, and Road America as long as both are the full 2 hr 45 minute race still. If thats the case I'd focus on the GT one of course..then again maybe it won't happen cause IMSA would probably find out that the GTs would get more fan attention than their precious DP cars.
Highly unlikely, all those tracks are long enough to host 60+ cars.
Old 5 Feb 2014, 16:26 (Ref:3364485)   #2597
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
An all GT race at Lime Rock would be excellent...
Old 5 Feb 2014, 17:01 (Ref:3364497)   #2598
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There is no reason to split the girds at those circuits. Road America is more than 4 miles long. It's the longest circuit in the series. As long as there is paddock space, they should keep the series together. I don't like to see split races. This is a multi-class series, and taking out half of the classes is stupid.

Also, you split the classes, you get shorter races, for what is supposed to be an endurance-type series. You also have issues with showing the race on TV. Tape-delay sucks, and since the series doesn't plan on streaming anything, ever, that's what we'll get. Nothing ****es people off like having the race spoiled on social media by the series when it's not being shown live.
Old 8 Feb 2014, 05:19 (Ref:3365612)   #2599
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.magnusracing.com/home/201...t-sebring.html
Marco Seefried joins Potter and Lally at Magnus Racing for Sebring
Old 8 Feb 2014, 13:30 (Ref:3365686)   #2600
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
More GTD possibilities. From John Dagys, reporting from Bathurst:

Quote:
McLaren GT Project Manager Andrew Kirkaldy, who is moonlighting in the VIP McLaren MP4-12C this weekend, confirmed to Sportscar365 that two of the GT3 cars have been sold to a “very strong team” for Pirelli World Challenge. Kirkaldy hopes to have a GTD-spec McLaren running in the TUDOR Championship by the end of the year as well.
and:

Quote:
HTP Motorsport could also compete in PWC later this year, with the German squad determined to bring at least one of its Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3s Stateside. While a GTD effort in the TUDOR Championship is the primary goal, an entirely new brake system would have to be developed for the car, due to ABS not being allowed. The team, however, is hopeful that AMG would support the necessary changes.
And then there’s this:

Quote:
Eric Lux, who is among the driving force in the No. 25 United Autosports Audi this weekend, has split with Starworks Motorsport following last month’s Rolex 24 at Daytona. Lux was originally slated to compete in the four-round Tequila Patron North American Endurance Cup with the team but is now searching for another ride, in either PC or GTD.

Last edited by TheMightyM; 8 Feb 2014 at 13:40. Reason: More information