Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 28 Sep 2005, 12:41 (Ref:1418901)   #1
Go-Pakistan
Racer

Pakistan
London
Go-Pakistan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team Pakistan

Looks like Adam Khan, driver for team Pakistan proved the critics and predictions wrong!

Outpaced f1 boys Verstappen and Yoong; GP2-red-bull's Scott Speed; 2005 British formula 3 champion Parente.

Finished 7th in race 1 and in race 2 was running in 4th after starting 7th and overtaking 3 cars in 3 laps....only a seized wheelnut in the pits cost him a certain podium position.......definitely one to watch!!

Pakistan have dominated in Cricket, Hockey and Squash. Only lack of opportunity has prevented previous participation in motorsport, but now with A1GP it will be different.

As for the A1GP series....it is excellent! equal cars, level playing field, close racing without the overhype of F1.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 12:46 (Ref:1418907)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must admit that I was surprised with the pace Khan showed, although his defence when several laps down was less pleasing.

Does it matter to you that Khan has never visited Pakistan (or so I read somewhere)?

And I don't think Pakistan have ever dominated in world cricket, although they've been near the top for several years. We'll see how they do this winter
Old 28 Sep 2005, 12:56 (Ref:1418920)   #3
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Adam Khan? Not a very Pakistani name is that! And what was that about dominating Cricket? Oz>>Eng>>Ind...thats how it reads my friend.

However gr8 drive from the lad!
Old 28 Sep 2005, 12:57 (Ref:1418924)   #4
x_acto
Rookie

Portugal
Portugal
x_acto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
indeed a very good surprise!

Let's see what they could do in the other circuits. I really hope they do well..
Old 28 Sep 2005, 13:13 (Ref:1418940)   #5
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ill just re-iterate Duran's words
"he is crazy"
In a good and bad way at the same time. I wouldn't want to be behind him again when your trying to lap him. Or just generally behind him at all. But give credit where credit is due, he has race pace.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 14:53 (Ref:1419033)   #6
Go-Pakistan
Racer

Pakistan
London
dominating cricket

ok...maybe not recently, but.....1992 world cup winners! beat england in final
Old 28 Sep 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1419058)   #7
mbathshah
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
mbathshah has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Apparently he is of Anglo Mongolian Extraction and has never been to Pakistan. Seems that Pakistan is the only country to have a driver not even remotely related to the country. The original driver Nur Ali has been kicked out unceremoniously.

Adam Khan has limited experience as a racer and I think that at Brands many countries were not as prepared as Super Nova but this will change. Looking at the qualifying times he was still over a second slower than the pole position which in an identical car is like 10 years in motor racing.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 16:18 (Ref:1419108)   #8
Go-Pakistan
Racer

Pakistan
London

It's not the first tenuous nationality link in sport, and it won't be the last.

Think allan lamb, greg rusedski, lennox lewis, and kevin pietersen only 2 weeks ago....to name but a few.

Even Ralph Firman, who was shortlisted for the Team GB drive has now gone to Ireland when he wasn't selected for GB.

As long as the rules are met, one can participate for their country.

As far as being a second adrift of pole, yes he was, but Khan was a second faster than scott speed, the red bull backed GP2 driver (who's just got a test drive in F1), outqualified verstappen (i think 6 seasons inf F1) and Alex Yoong, (ex Minardi F1)........so he can't be that bad ...can he?

You can't put his success down to only car setup and preparation, he still had to get in and drive it alongside 24 determined drivers. I think he showed true potential and hope he continues for the rest of the series.

Pakistan don't have the luxury of GB and other european countries i.e. 90+ years of motor racing heritage and 100's of potential drivers available. So to come from nowhere and be in 4th position in a race at such an early stage shows the level playing field, potential and accessibility of this new A1GP series. I think that's good news for every fan of motorsport........well done Sheik Maktoum !
Old 28 Sep 2005, 19:54 (Ref:1419285)   #9
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbathshah
Adam Khan has limited experience as a racer and I think that at Brands many countries were not as prepared as Super Nova but this will change. Looking at the qualifying times he was still over a second slower than the pole position which in an identical car is like 10 years in motor racing.
But to be fair he has a lot less experience than the other guys. I was amazed at his performance given that he hardly set the world alight in Formula 3B. Doubtless it will be harder at tracks unknown to him, but when he was handily outracing Parente my thoughts were turning to that thread about how good Parente REALLY was...
Old 28 Sep 2005, 21:48 (Ref:1419419)   #10
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
of course it helps that the team behind Pakistan is Supernova.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 23:14 (Ref:1419469)   #11
nkfan
Racer

nkfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Khan hasnt really turned heads around in F3..

I was quite surprised at his pace aswell, Like steve said it might be due to Supernova or he just mysteriously got a lot better....well good luck to him. But i hope india comes back !! ....Ironically Karun was actually Khan's mentor during F3 days
Old 28 Sep 2005, 23:43 (Ref:1419492)   #12
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-Pakistan
ok...maybe not recently, but.....1992 world cup winners! beat england in final
But, let's be fair - in the last 15-20 years even the Cocos Island Womens Cricket Team could have beaten England
Old 29 Sep 2005, 07:43 (Ref:1419640)   #13
Go-Pakistan
Racer

Pakistan
London
cricket

anyone could have beaten england??????

they managed to despatch half the worlds best teams to get to the final!!
Old 29 Sep 2005, 08:02 (Ref:1419658)   #14
mbathshah
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
What happened to Nur Ali?
EVen the newspapers in Pakistan are asking that question

see - http://www.alimotorsports.com/

Also the sporting regulations do not state that the driver has to be a national of the country he is driving for. Apparently anybody theoretically can drive for any team. Seems all the Hype of country against country is just a load of

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 29 Sep 2005 at 08:06. Reason: dodging autocensor - just use the :censored: smiley - much quicker to type as well.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 08:28 (Ref:1419687)   #15
Go-Pakistan
Racer

Pakistan
London
Nur Ali

Don't know what happened to Nur Ali.....

where are the sporting regulations, what are the rules regarding driver eligibility to represent a country/team?
Old 29 Sep 2005, 08:30 (Ref:1419690)   #16
nkfan
Racer

nkfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i feel sorry for Nur Ali...he must have had his hopes all high and then comes Adam Khan who stuffed everything for him,...i dont think he will race at all, i dont even see his name on the car and his picture is taken down from their website !...

i think they should have rule that driver has to be the citizen of the country..
right now even Neel Jani can race for india, his dad is indian it seems !
Old 29 Sep 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1420056)   #17
mbathshah
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
Driver Nationalities

Click on this link - Very interesting

http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/sep20...sports/s15.htm
Old 29 Sep 2005, 15:06 (Ref:1420064)   #18
mbathshah
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
Sporting Regs

Can be downloaded from here. Unfortunately the official site does not have a link to them

http://www.a1mania.com/images/store/...egulations.pdf
Old 29 Sep 2005, 15:11 (Ref:1420074)   #19
RSportRacer
Racer

United Kingdom
Silverstone
RSportRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mod - quote removed for copyright reasons, if people want to read the story click on the link posted by mbathshah above

very interesting read.... anyone know what happened to Ali

Last edited by Asp; 29 Sep 2005 at 18:46. Reason: Copied text removed
Old 29 Sep 2005, 15:59 (Ref:1420132)   #20
Radius
Rookie

South Africa
in London, England
Radius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good race from PAK but even better 1 from Team South Africa. He started 24th and finished 6th! True i was there watching him

Heres looking forward to the next race..cheers
Old 30 Sep 2005, 08:03 (Ref:1420644)   #21
mbathshah
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
Beating Alex Yoong is nothing to be proud of. In his F1 days he was regularly 2-3 seconds per lap slower than his team mate and on a number of occasions couldn't even meet the 107% time in qualifying and had to get dispensation from the stewards to race. Clearly a number of top drivers had mechanical problems - Robbie Kerr, Parente, Premat etc. Scott Speed clearly had some problem since he was absolutely ballistic during official free practise.
Old 1 Oct 2005, 00:53 (Ref:1421366)   #22
speedy2
Rookie

speedy2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there is one small point regarding Adam, he is not from Pakistan and has no blood ties, I quote, 'my friends at Uni tell me it's a great Country'

Apart from that, he has done fantastic job and why should he move over, without the wheel problem, he would have been on the podium!and been the 'star' of the whole meeting....even more than Piquet, after all who was expecting him to shine ?,Super Nova will take the credit but I think his old F3 Team, Performance must take credit also Menu's who he did some long term private test's with.
Old 1 Oct 2005, 01:04 (Ref:1421367)   #23
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-Pakistan
It's not the first tenuous nationality link in sport, and it won't be the last.

Think allan lamb, greg rusedski, lennox lewis, and kevin pietersen only 2 weeks ago....to name but a few.
Greg Rusedski was born in England before moving to Canada. The others have at least visited!

I believe Ralph Firman's mother once had a week-end in Dublin... Maybe not.

Anyway, Adam did well. Regardless of car/team etc, Brands is not an easy place to be quick at. You need talent to do that.
Old 1 Oct 2005, 09:17 (Ref:1421495)   #24
Go-Pakistan
Racer

Pakistan
London
Adam Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2
without the wheel problem, he would have been on the podium!and been the 'star' of the whole meeting....even more than Piquet

Yes, that would have been amazing, the few pakistan supporters that were there at brands including myslef would have gone absolutely crazy!!!!

lets hope he can continue his momentum into the German round, i think he did some F3 racing there so should know the track.

Another good thing about A1.....there is plenty of friday practice sessions, i think 2 x 1 hour or something, so this should give drivers a good chance of familiarisation and give the less experienced more of a level playing field.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 10:47 (Ref:1421959)   #25
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fine Yorkshire accent on that boy!

However I thought his father was from Pakistan? If not where did the name Khan come from and how come he looks Pakistani? I would be fooled if he didn't open his mouth.