Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Aug 2004, 16:08 (Ref:1061182)   #1
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Top 10 Porsche Drivers?

I've been contacted by a driver asking about some poll put out somewhere about the 10 top Porsche racers (he thought autosport but we checked and it's not there)

Anyone know what he's talking about??

Last edited by Mags; 9 Aug 2004 at 16:09.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 9 Aug 2004, 16:13 (Ref:1061186)   #2
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
It is in Autosport's current edition
Old 9 Aug 2004, 16:28 (Ref:1061197)   #3
Mags
Veteran

We looked there and couldn't find it; could you cut and paste it for me??
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 9 Aug 2004, 17:07 (Ref:1061225)   #4
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mags
We looked there and couldn't find it; could you cut and paste it for me??
Nice meeting you at Mosport.

Hard to Cut and Paste hardcopy to the internet though.

It's in the current Autosport Magazine, not the internet.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 17:13 (Ref:1061233)   #5
Mags
Veteran

DRAT.
And YOU took off on me! I went to Vanessa's in search of liquid refreshment... OK I'll go buy it at the newsstand at lunch. Thanks!! The driver in question heard a rumour HE was mentioned. WHAT an ego!
Old 9 Aug 2004, 17:37 (Ref:1061256)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, as we now have the thread, why don't we all make use of it (i.e. why shouldn't we take up Autosport's idea....?). Perhaps we ought to make it the top 5 Porsche drivers? But I guess we ought to also decide what era we're talking about - the current GT crop or back to the 956/962 days and on (it ought to be the latter as far as I'm concerned). What do you think?
Old 9 Aug 2004, 17:41 (Ref:1061263)   #7
Mags
Veteran

This era?? Without a doubt Sascha Maassen and Lucas Luhr.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 17:43 (Ref:1061267)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Darren Law was in Autosport's list if that's who you're looking for!
Old 9 Aug 2004, 17:46 (Ref:1061271)   #9
Mags
Veteran

Was he??? I'll have to let him know that!!! He will be SO suprised!!!!
Old 9 Aug 2004, 17:51 (Ref:1061278)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Autosport article was top 10 current 911 drivers. It's a decent enough article.

In which case:

Ortelli, Maassen, Luhr are, for me, easily the top three. Two more? That is difficult. A coupel of young guys, perhaps? Lieb, Bernhard and Bergmeister. Oh, drat that is six
Old 9 Aug 2004, 17:57 (Ref:1061286)   #11
Mags
Veteran

Lieb? I really like him but I think he needs a bit of seasoning before you can put him up there. How about Mike Rockenfeller? The kid that shattered the Sebring qualifying record this year?
Old 9 Aug 2004, 18:01 (Ref:1061292)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Rockenfeller lost his time for the ride height being too low, although perhaps it didn't make too much difference. As you mention seasoning I think Rockenfeller falls into that category. He need to race (and win) in the big time more before he can be truly be considered. Which, I guess, he will do soon.

Last edited by Adam43; 9 Aug 2004 at 18:03.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 18:03 (Ref:1061295)   #13
Mags
Veteran

I was mighty impressed by what he did at Daytona this year; if he had 3 more laps we would have won overall.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 18:06 (Ref:1061299)   #14
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So who were the top 10 then?
Old 9 Aug 2004, 18:11 (Ref:1061307)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Mags, Yes, it was a decent effort only a few seconds behind IIRC.

Just been back and checked on DSC, they say the DSQ from Q at Sebring was a minor thing.

Last edited by Adam43; 9 Aug 2004 at 18:11.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 18:15 (Ref:1061310)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
jhansen, Autosport top 10.[list=1][*]Maassen[*]Luhr[*]Ortelli[*]Dumas[*]Benhard[*]Collard[*]Lieb[*]Mowlem[*]Rockenfeller[*]Law[/list=1]
I don't think it actually says it is in order, but the order seems to reflect that it is.

It is a good read.

Last edited by Adam43; 9 Aug 2004 at 18:16.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 18:24 (Ref:1061317)   #17
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't had a chance to check out the article yet, but it's good to see Autosport paying attention to sportscars, now we just need endurance racing to make the cover image again...
Old 9 Aug 2004, 18:29 (Ref:1061320)   #18
Mags
Veteran

RFM is doing thier part! We found out last week that the Porsche Auto Club has linked our web site!
Old 9 Aug 2004, 18:31 (Ref:1061323)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Off topic: That won't happen as the editor John McIlroy explained on this very forum. The cover is only for those who may buy it in the shop, not the regulars. Any F1 cover is always going to get more people to buy it. Which is a good thing if there is sportscar inside - they get introduced to endurance racing. This weeks edition has a lot of sportscar articles in it, almost as much F1, which realistically isn't back.

On topic

The article also reminds us of the differences that the 911 has to other cars. Rear engined and fuel at thefront (hence a weight distribution that changes over a stint quite unlike other cars).
Old 9 Aug 2004, 18:33 (Ref:1061325)   #20
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting, that is a good list. But, I'd take Mowlem & Law out and add Uwe Alzen and Jorg Bergmeister. The Brits always have to add one of their own in any top 10.

#1 would be Timo Bernhard in my book. The guy absolutely flies at the Nordschleife!
Old 9 Aug 2004, 18:38 (Ref:1061329)   #21
Mags
Veteran

Blasphemy!!! Sascha Maassen is THE best right now. Hands Down.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 18:41 (Ref:1061332)   #22
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cheers Adam.

To me, Maassen and Ortelli (in that order) really stand out above the rest in terms of driving style. They just seem to push that little bit harder when they have to. Combined with overall consistency, it makes them the top two IMO. The rest i'm not so sure about.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 18:42 (Ref:1061334)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
The Autosport article was top 10 current 911 drivers.

In that case I'll leave it to you 911-lovin' younguns.........
Old 9 Aug 2004, 18:45 (Ref:1061339)   #24
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
I wonder which of the 911 list would have been best in a 917...
Old 9 Aug 2004, 18:45 (Ref:1061340)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Off topic: That won't happen as the editor John McIlroy explained on this very forum. The cover is only for those who may buy it in the shop, not the regulars. Any F1 cover is always going to get more people to buy it.

Jeez. That is sooooo sad.......