Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Sep 2015, 00:53 (Ref:3573281)   #7276
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Tires and aero have come a long way. Theyre doing 3:54's now with 1200+kg and 500hp. Give them more power, aero and drop the weigh back to gt1 levels, theyll be mid-low 40's again.
Old 12 Sep 2015, 01:16 (Ref:3573289)   #7277
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Is it possible to bring the GTLM cars to mid 30s though? That's a big jump from present speeds. For comparison the fastest ever GT1 lap of Le Mans was a 3:47 in a Christophe Bouchut driven Saleen which is miles away from say mid 30s.
If they abandon all non-visual pretenses of them being production based, they could do it easily. Which is what the rumors indicate may be the plan.
Old 12 Sep 2015, 01:23 (Ref:3573291)   #7278
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2008 Le Mans performance was also slower than now due to the track surfacing and lack of opportunities for runoff violations so if GT1s of that day were running today even in those old specs fastest of them probably could do 44 or 45 lap

2005-2006 GT1 pace we cannot compare due to the different layout in S1, however those cars had bigger air restrictors and less weight than in 2008 when ACO was slowing them down for the benefit of LMP2
Old 12 Sep 2015, 11:15 (Ref:3573355)   #7279
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All they need is to "copy" aero and engine configuration of the GT500 cars… and then we will have under LMP2 lap times…

Just Imagine heavy modified Ferrari´s; Lambo´s; Mercedes´s; Honda´s ;Corvette´s; Lexus´s; Porsche´s; Bentley´s; BMW´s; Mclaren´s;Audi´s running in Le Mans doing 3:35/40 lap times…

P.S. - Please make yourself confortable to add more brands
Old 12 Sep 2015, 13:51 (Ref:3573368)   #7280
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly, ACO should go head-to-head against privateer LMP2 teams instead of being behind of it.
Old 12 Sep 2015, 14:26 (Ref:3573379)   #7281
cokata
Veteran

cokata should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How reliable are this rumours though? I haven't seen anything being reported on DSC or S365. Honestly it would be perfect solution for me as long as it's sustainable. Current GT cars are way too slow. Production variants of the same cars are so much more powerful that given a proper slick racing tire they could possibly match or even beat them on a high speed track like Le Mans.

GT Am for me is absolute waste of a class from a viewers perspective. The cars are the same as GT Pro, just with AM drivers. Also a lot of the accidents that happen through the season are caused by them. The problems we had with slow zones in Le Mans this year were all coming from GTE Am cars IIRC.

LMP2 need more power no doubt about it. Seeing how irrelevant the P1-L class is and how similar the Oreca 05 and The R-One are i don't see any problem P1-L becoming the new P2 or we remove P2 and we are left with just P1-H and P1-L.

Speeding up the GT cars and P2s would also reduce the need to clamp down on the P1-H on safety grounds. F1 cars are also set to go much quicker in 2017, so i don't see any problem with the P1s getting quicker.
Old 12 Sep 2015, 17:24 (Ref:3573395)   #7282
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokata View Post
How reliable are this rumours though? I haven't seen anything being reported on DSC or S365. Honestly it would be perfect solution for me as long as it's sustainable. Current GT cars are way too slow. Production variants of the same cars are so much more powerful that given a proper slick racing tire they could possibly match or even beat them on a high speed track like Le Mans.
Which of the current GT cars road variants could match the GTE cars at Le Mans?
Old 12 Sep 2015, 18:15 (Ref:3573404)   #7283
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
They might go faster in a straight line. But probably a good deal slower overall.
Old 12 Sep 2015, 19:20 (Ref:3573414)   #7284
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
How reliable are this rumours though?
Just because nobody's reporting on something doesn't mean it isn't being planned. The ALMS/Grand-Am merger was in the works for quite a while before it got reported on.
Old 13 Sep 2015, 19:16 (Ref:3573640)   #7285
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
All they need is to "copy" aero and engine configuration of the GT500 cars… and then we will have under LMP2 lap times…
Even more important than these two things is the weight. Without driver, GT500 weights 1030kg while GTs are ~200kg heavier.

I'm curious to see by how much the GTs of next year will improve, given their better aero
Quote:
F1 cars are also set to go much quicker in 2017, so i don't see any problem with the P1s getting quicker.
ACO's concern was never related to F1. FIA, though, very likely don't want to see their dear series(afterall, it always has been the goose that lays the golden eggs for them) lose it's defining and characteristical element of having the lowest laptimes of all vehicles. Without any regulation changes, LMP1s threatens to become the fastest racing cars by 2017(it would need a 4s/year improvement and Audi still have a long way to go on energy storage alone, for instance). I have not followed F1 news this year(so, correct me if I'm wrong) but, from what I heard, these are just proposed changes. At least my understanding was that the hammer was not down, yet.

Even if these changes don't come up in F1, ACO will almost certainly slow the LMP1s down next year, as 3.15 has been stablished as a benchmark of safety at Sarthe.
Old 13 Sep 2015, 20:17 (Ref:3573649)   #7286
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Just because nobody's reporting on something doesn't mean it isn't being planned. The ALMS/Grand-Am merger was in the works for quite a while before it got reported on.
And that makes it 'reliable' how? Doesn't mean it is, being planned, either IMO.

L.P.
Old 13 Sep 2015, 22:26 (Ref:3573678)   #7287
bckf
Rookie

bckf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
I don't believe everything that's reported on sportscar sites, let alone something vaguely hinted at by a random user on the Internet.
If we let ACO's actions speak for themselves, then it seems like they don't want anything else than prototypes to be on the main stage, and I guess that would translate in a clear performance separation between LMP2 and GT.
Really, I can't to read anything into the new GT Premium rules, other than ACO addressing the threat of GT3. I think they'll be happy with their GT cars being faster and more extremely looking than whatever SRO will allow to run in their series, then they'll just stick with them.
Old 13 Sep 2015, 23:32 (Ref:3573685)   #7288
TF110
Veteran

United States
I think the wec are trying to entice and cater manufacturers. Heres my take on their line of thought- private teams can join, but you need to have deep pockets for lmp-L/gte or go play in the regional series' with your semi-spec lmp2 gte-am.
Old 14 Sep 2015, 00:43 (Ref:3573698)   #7289
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
And that makes it 'reliable' how? Doesn't mean it is, being planned, either IMO.
You are correct, but my point wasn't that the rumor should be considered reliable - just that a lack of reporting doesn't really mean anything one way or another.

I have good reason to believe MOST of the rumor due to my contact(the exact extent of the GTE overhaul is still unclear), but I can't expose said contact without getting people in trouble - so you're right to take things with a grain of salt. That's why I treat the matter as a rumor - if I could safely cite my source, I'd do so and we could treat the matter as fact rather than a rumor around which to discuss what ifs.

At the end of the day, rumors make for good discussion material. Otherwise what would be the point of ever bringing up any rumor?
Old 15 Sep 2015, 20:50 (Ref:3574086)   #7290
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed. It's fun to consider this stuff. Even if there's nothing to it.
Old 15 Sep 2015, 21:30 (Ref:3574099)   #7291
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I think the wec are trying to entice and cater manufacturers. Heres my take on their line of thought- private teams can join, but you need to have deep pockets for lmp-L/gte or go play in the regional series' with your semi-spec lmp2 gte-am.
We need to distinguish between the what the WEC would like to see happen and the world as it actually exists. I’m pretty sure that the FIA/ACO would like for the WEC to become a pure pro series (P1/GTE-Pro). Whether that happens depends upon factors that in large part are beyond its control though: the number of manufacturers and teams willing to spend the big bucks that competing at that level entails.
Old 15 Sep 2015, 21:54 (Ref:3574108)   #7292
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am not so sure that the ACO would want to make P1 and GTE all pro.
The reason is that motor manufacturers have a habit of pulling out of motorsport when taking part no longer suits them. For this reason I suspect the ACO would like to have some other teams and cars racing to fill any possible gaps should they arise.

There are currently almost 4 manufacturers competing in LMP1 what are the chances of all four being still there in three years time? I would be very surprised if we still have all of Porsche, Audi, Toyota and Nissan still racing in the WEC.
Old 16 Sep 2015, 01:47 (Ref:3574147)   #7293
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you might be confusing "pro" for " factory".
Old 17 Sep 2015, 06:39 (Ref:3574340)   #7294
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
starworks might be in ELMS next year with an oreca 05:

The US Starworks squad, winner of the LMP2 title in the 2012 World Endurance Championship, is eyeing a return to the category in the European Le Mans Series next season.

Florida-based Starworks Motorsport was unable to defend its P2 teams' title the following season for financial reasons and withdrew from the championship, but is now working to put together its first campaign outside of North America since 2012.

Team boss Peter Baron explained that the expanded six-race ELMS announced earlier this month was potentially attractive to paying drivers and partners.

"Five races was a tough sell, but six with the addition of Spa and the hope of doing the Le Mans 24 Hours is an attractive programme," he told AUTOSPORT.

"There are definitely a lot of people interested."

Baron, whose team ran the HPD ARX-03b chassis in the 2012 WEC, revealed that he would be meeting with ORECA this weekend at Austin about the possible purchase of one of its 05 coupes.

He explained that the ORECA was the only chassis choice that would make sense for next year because it can be updated to the new LMP2 rulebook that will come into force in 2017.

Starworks also has ambitions to return to the Prototype class in next year's IMSA SportsCar Championship (presently the Tudor United SportsCar Championship) after his programme for 2015 with a Riley-Dinan/BMW MkXXVI came to an end following the season-opening Daytona 24 Hours.

Baron said that he favoured remaining with a Daytona Prototype for IMSA rather than moving to a P2 car.

"I think a DP still races best; the P2s are fast as hell, but it is difficult to convert that into results," he said.

Starworks has retained a presence in the USC in the Prototype Challenge class this weekend.

It will run two cars at Austin this weekend, for the first time since Daytona in January, and at the Petit Le Mans finale at Road Atlanta in October.
Old 17 Sep 2015, 15:29 (Ref:3574413)   #7295
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
And it seems that this may be happening:

Quote:
NASportsCar got wind of an interesting series that is being looked at for GT3 and GT4 cars in North America. A group of 10 well-funded investors are working on plans for a GT3 and GT4 series that features a mix of 1 hour sprints and season-ending 3 hour endurance event. The calendar is still being developed, but stops are planned for Canada, the United States, Mexico and one “floating” international event between Australia, Germany, Italy and England.
Link here.
Old 17 Sep 2015, 16:25 (Ref:3574427)   #7296
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SOUNDS like there are a lot of " IF's " in the story .

Would be interesting to see WHO the 10 INVESTORS are ?

Scot Bove Possibly one of them ??
Old 17 Sep 2015, 17:03 (Ref:3574432)   #7297
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could this be related to that post from FormulaFox about a "bombshell" that will shake up the sportscar scene. An upstart series. 10 investors that sound like they have considerable influence.
Old 17 Sep 2015, 17:05 (Ref:3574433)   #7298
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
And it seems that this may be happening:

Link here.
Any relation between that and Sprint X? If not, that'd make it a fourth GT3 series.
Old 17 Sep 2015, 17:50 (Ref:3574442)   #7299
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seems the GT3 and GTLM versions of the M6 were at Ladoux, but no Lexus. Reportedly the 488 was really bad, junk, on aero.....

L.P.
Old 17 Sep 2015, 18:24 (Ref:3574446)   #7300
TF110
Veteran

United States
RC F aint ready for running up front so no reason to expect them there. Sc365 has some info on this test.