Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 13 Mar 2013, 10:02 (Ref:3217739)   #2576
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Martin Whitmarsh has been speaking on the subject of F1 moving to pay TV and how it will effect their ability to retain and gain new sponsors. He is concerned about the fall off in viewing numbers, but also aware that people are viewing things on new media. I know that FOM will try to get almost any F1 footage removed from you tube as fast as it goes up so that does not help.

http://www.pitpass.com/48529-F1-must...arns-Whitmarsh

I would imagine that he is also looking for more money from Bernie to make up the shortfall from the drop in sponsorship due to smaller viewing figures.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 12:30 (Ref:3217810)   #2577
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if tv numbers are going down, then they have to raise the number of people who come into contact with the car, or team and their sponsors in other ways. for me that would be slacking off a bit on youtube and creating videos and stuff with real viral potential.

alternatively if you look away from sport at tv shows and dramas, a lot of those gain worldwide support by the actions of their fans on social media and blogging sites. f1 does gain from that to a point, but making the footage more available and engaging with the competitors more to create more things for the fandom to obsess over is really cheap and easy marketing. the 15 year old fangirls and fanboys on places like tumblr and blogspot are pretty creative, and instead of fighting the copywrite implications of their actions, it's easier to simply let the content to, and allow them to create with it. they then share the resulting creation, and the cumulative effect is that people get involved with a sport that they first saw on a strangers blog on tumblr, for example.

the popularity of the kimi "leave me alone, i know what i'm doing" moment and some of the resulting memes (which are then perpetuated by the team themselves) are a good demonstration of how you get people to engage with your brand. the tv channels like sky and the bbc do it by having these cute little segments where they do awkward competitive things with the drivers, sauber produce some pretty random stuff as well. we see mclaren diversifying their image too with their cartoon.

so yeah. i think f1 needs to stop trying to monetise directly (a very old-school approach) and accept that a more relaxed approach will benefit them in the long run.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 10:54 (Ref:3219947)   #2578
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Martin Whitmarsh has been speaking on the subject of F1 moving to pay TV and how it will effect their ability to retain and gain new sponsors. He is concerned about the fall off in viewing numbers, but also aware that people are viewing things on new media. I know that FOM will try to get almost any F1 footage removed from you tube as fast as it goes up so that does not help.

http://www.pitpass.com/48529-F1-must...arns-Whitmarsh

I would imagine that he is also looking for more money from Bernie to make up the shortfall from the drop in sponsorship due to smaller viewing figures.
You just have to look at IndyCar to see what the lack of TV coverage does to sponsorship and ultimately the series.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 22:58 (Ref:3220277)   #2579
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

I keeping forgetting my poor friends and my brother and my sons havn't got LIVE SKY F1 Coverage and keep sending them messages during the LIVE action! Opps! Sorry Guys (again!) Snigger!
Old 17 Mar 2013, 23:07 (Ref:3220288)   #2580
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen View Post
I keeping forgetting my poor friends and my brother and my sons havn't got LIVE SKY F1 Coverage and keep sending them messages during the LIVE action! Opps! Sorry Guys (again!) Snigger!
Don't worry they were probably enjoying a good nights sleep!
Old 17 Mar 2013, 23:08 (Ref:3220290)   #2581
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Old 18 Mar 2013, 09:26 (Ref:3220422)   #2582
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I was on the end of an angry tirade from a pal on facebook yesterday morning because i had 'spoiled' the race for him by revealing the result with a 'Come on Kimi' status.

Surely, after a year of the Sky/BBC arrangement, you'd know (if you truly cared) not to go on facebook/twitter etc. Personally, If i can't see a race live, i put myself on a total media blackout until I've seen it 'as live'.

That's my opinion anyway. What is the general consensus here?
Old 18 Mar 2013, 10:49 (Ref:3220453)   #2583
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
I was on the end of an angry tirade from a pal on facebook yesterday morning because i had 'spoiled' the race for him by revealing the result with a 'Come on Kimi' status.

Surely, after a year of the Sky/BBC arrangement, you'd know (if you truly cared) not to go on facebook/twitter etc. Personally, If i can't see a race live, i put myself on a total media blackout until I've seen it 'as live'.

Ditto. Family advised not to speak to me on pain of death. No radio, no TV.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 11:49 (Ref:3220492)   #2584
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
urgh, i hate it when people do that. seems pretty straight forward to me - if you don't want to be spoiled, it's YOUR resposibility to make sure that doesn't happen, not your friends and family. that includes isolating yourself from the outside world should you choose to view a race 10 hours after it actually happens.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 12:03 (Ref:3220503)   #2585
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post

Easier said than done I am afraid.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 12:06 (Ref:3220505)   #2586
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hang on a minute! When did F1 go to Sky Sports and why wasn't I told?
Old 18 Mar 2013, 12:26 (Ref:3220519)   #2587
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Whilst idling on my computer yesterday morning I stupidy clicked on my Autosport.com short cut and before I could 'look away now' read the headline that Kimi had won the race!
I still watched the BBC coverage later as obviously the final winner is only part of the story, but knowing that information did take the edge off my enjoyment of what seemed to be a pretty boring race anyway.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 12:41 (Ref:3220523)   #2588
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Whilst idling on my computer yesterday morning I stupidy clicked on my Autosport.com short cut and before I could 'look away now' read the headline that Kimi had won the race!
I still watched the BBC coverage later as obviously the final winner is only part of the story, but knowing that information did take the edge off my enjoyment of what seemed to be a pretty boring race anyway.
I also watched the race knowing Kimi had won and it does take the edge off it.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 12:44 (Ref:3220528)   #2589
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen View Post
For free practice I find watching a live stream on the Internet whilst listening to commentary on Radio 5 live extra far preferable to the inane giggling and private joke chatter between the Sky commentators. They are usually so busy laughing between themselves at their clever insider jokes that they actually miss what's happening on track.

Anyone who contributes to the gangster Murdoch's fortune is a mug imho.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 13:13 (Ref:3220548)   #2590
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
To be honest, it's pretty one-sided on the giggling front.

You'll find it's Croftie laughing any time MB says anything. I really do mean anything.

Selby
Old 18 Mar 2013, 18:48 (Ref:3220719)   #2591
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
For free practice I find watching a live stream on the Internet whilst listening to commentary on Radio 5 live extra far preferable to the inane giggling and private joke chatter between the Sky commentators. They are usually so busy laughing between themselves at their clever insider jokes that they actually miss what's happening on track.

What nonsense!
I used to subscribe to Bernies excellent F1 channel before lack of subscribtions from real enthusiasts caused it's demise...it was brilliant ground breaking technology at the time...you could chose your own camera view...for obviious reasons back then I rode in the cockpit looking over the shoulder of the driver that I wanted to follow...which because he was a mid fielder rarely was shown by the terestrial free channel. Now thank goodness for SKY F1, who have tacken up the mantle of high-tech TV coverage (although I don't have 3D I do have HD which is essential)

Brundles Grid walk and Ted's Note-book is great, and the Sky-Pad slow-mo analyasis is super!

But being of the older generation (I've been following F1 every season since Mike Hawthorn) I don't need the Musical backing to jazz it up as the action itself is exciting enough.

As for the above quote...I want the best LIVE coverage of my favourite sport, I don't smoke or drink...my 'passion' is following LIVE top level Motorsport and far cheaper than travelling to the races, which as an OAP I can't afford to that anymore!

I just wish SKY would cover WEC racing (LeMans) as the coverage of that racing is still in the dark-ages by comparison!

Last edited by Rennen; 18 Mar 2013 at 18:55.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 19:24 (Ref:3220739)   #2592
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Hurrah, I'm a mug in your opinion. It's what I've always wanted.

Rennen, you're a mug. isenho.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 21:10 (Ref:3220796)   #2593
Missing Link
Rookie

Missing Link should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'll have to work it out...... XBMC

Google is your friend
Old 18 Mar 2013, 21:58 (Ref:3220842)   #2594
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Last year I was so completely anti ever paying for Sky to watch the F1 and totally buying into the whole "watch a stream while listening to radio 5" thing.....but was mainly trying to convince myself, really. Have Sky for this season and suddenly to have all the coverage back, to be able to watch the races live, and to find out that the coverage is actually really good too not to mention comprehensive......it's making me wonder how I did without it last season. Sky done good really.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 13:40 (Ref:3221178)   #2595
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
You'll have to work it out...... XBMC

Google is your friend
Yep! You are so right.

I'm sure if, like another poster, my son or daughter were earning a fortune for some of the worst British sports broadcasting I've ever seen in my life I'd change my mind pretty swiftly and subscribe!

We're all only human and all points of view are relevant in my opinion, it's no big deal.

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 19 Mar 2013 at 14:34. Reason: can't prove it, don't say it.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 14:39 (Ref:3221215)   #2596
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I prefer the TV. I don't like watching things on laptops and I CBA hooking up the various IT objects around the house to the TV either.

As for people being mugs, you could say that about pretty much everything, including and probably especially Formula 1 - since I suspect Bernie is certainly on a par with Mr. Murdoch in terms of personal fortune. If you didn't buy anything or watch anything because of a moral objection to those who own or run them, then you had better get off the grid because behind just about everything (except Ten-Tenths sadly...! ) is owned and run by a hyper wealthy man or woman or group of faceless investors that you probably wouldn't want to trust with your kid's pocket money.

Sky creates a lot of employment - not just for presenters - and while the ethics of the empire may be cloudy, that doesn't mean that the people who work for them are somehow bad or that the people who purchase the service are mugs. They don't deserve to be insulted.

IMHO of course.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 14:45 (Ref:3221219)   #2597
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Absolutely, Sky in general offers a good service (along with ESPN, my sports channel of choice).

But crikey you have to pay for it and it is a shame for people who can't afford it to have their faces rubbed into it by certain folk.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 14:48 (Ref:3221221)   #2598
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Absolutely, Sky in general offers a good service (along with ESPN, my sports channel of choice).

But crikey you have to pay for it and it is a shame for people who can't afford it to have their faces rubbed into it by certain folk.
Well since in Ireland, we don't get BBC either if we don't get Sky or UPC, we'd have to pay for it, no matter which channel it's on.

It's not a question of rubbing people's faces in it - we had Sky before there was an F1 channel because it's that, or just the Irish channels.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 14:52 (Ref:3221224)   #2599
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I wasn't saying you were, I think you are being entirely reasonable.

I'd be really bugged if I couldn't afford to watch my favourite sports though. It's not like it is cheap to go and see them live either these days which was once a saving grace.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 14:57 (Ref:3221228)   #2600
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I wasn't saying you were, I think you are being entirely reasonable.
(
Well if I am, that's a first

Tags
outrage, sky