Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Dec 2011, 14:59 (Ref:2999192)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Done.
Old 13 Dec 2011, 17:44 (Ref:2999266)   #27
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks sir!
Old 15 Dec 2011, 00:46 (Ref:2999999)   #28
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Ben Shuckburgh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

first selection meeting is this week
the the wait begins for the first published entry list

hoooooooope

Rudolf[/QUOTE]

Any idea when they usually release that first entry list?
Thanks
Old 15 Dec 2011, 10:52 (Ref:3000141)   #29
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Shuckburgh View Post
first selection meeting is this week
the the wait begins for the first published entry list

hoooooooope

Rudolf
Any idea when they usually release that first entry list?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

It used to get published a few days after the 15th and every 15th in the months after.
Last time it took much longer, especially the 1st one in December, I remember waiting until after X-max and checking the website daily in a compulsive manner....

Usually the kind folks here publish a link within hours.
Watch this space

Rudolf
Old 15 Dec 2011, 11:35 (Ref:3000167)   #30
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Ben Shuckburgh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will do - thanks.........
Old 15 Dec 2011, 12:10 (Ref:3000171)   #31
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It's a French time table and most of the cars in first batch will have submitted entries two months ago.

Expect French and CER/Tour Auto etc bods to be on first list and rest of us to follow.

Be months if you have a 911 unless its one usually accepted on Patrick Peter events.

Shakeout will not be until Feb/March.
Old 19 Dec 2011, 09:10 (Ref:3001784)   #32
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
It's a French time table and most of the cars in first batch will have submitted entries two months ago.

Expect French and CER/Tour Auto etc bods to be on first list and rest of us to follow.

Be months if you have a 911 unless its one usually accepted on Patrick Peter events.

Shakeout will not be until Feb/March.
and somewhat ironically for an event that prides itself on authenticity it allows '65 2.0 911 entrants which is bizarre as that model never raced at Le Mans!!
Old 19 Dec 2011, 15:00 (Ref:3001871)   #33
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Does it?

911 65 cars there as late replacements for other cars to keep Teams up to correct number.Think both in 2010 replaced 904's that broke.

Not what it seems.

Two and two do not always make four.You should know that being a banker.
Old 19 Dec 2011, 17:21 (Ref:3001932)   #34
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmmm?
Old 19 Dec 2011, 19:57 (Ref:3001977)   #35
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
and somewhat ironically for an event that prides itself on authenticity it allows '65 2.0 911 entrants which is bizarre as that model never raced at Le Mans!!

I a grid this size You will allways find some funny cars.
worth a mention in 2008 :

an LHD (!) Singer engined HRG 1500 in the pre war grid
quite apart from the fact, that a proper pre war HRG Le Mans entry should be of the Meadows engined variety, I strongly believe this to be a post war car, passed off as a pre war, the owners certainly made sure to keep the bonnet cover shut and the chassis plate hidden, I really tried to get a peek but never managed
Anyway, I dont see how one should be able to get an HTP for a left hooker that was never made and raced in period

a 1969 (!) Porsche 914, this is interesting, because it cant be a proper 6 cylinder car then, as 914-6 production only started in 1970

I am sure there are more.....

Rudolf
Old 20 Dec 2011, 07:14 (Ref:3002120)   #36
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
R D P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not only a Le Mans thing - I fondly do remember the Alfa 8C Monza at Ollon-Villars last year and this year at Montlhery - steering wheel on the left ! Lots of Alfa and Zagato badges + twin wheels. And never an open bonnet....did sound like 8cylinder inline, but more of the more US variety...
If organisers do believe anything (or want to believe - after all, it was the only "8C" at both events, does look good in the magazine reports....) - this happens.

Ralf
Old 20 Dec 2011, 07:25 (Ref:3002124)   #37
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
I a grid this size You will allways find some funny cars.
worth a mention in 2008 :

an LHD (!) Singer engined HRG 1500 in the pre war grid
quite apart from the fact, that a proper pre war HRG Le Mans entry should be of the Meadows engined variety, I strongly believe this to be a post war car, passed off as a pre war, the owners certainly made sure to keep the bonnet cover shut and the chassis plate hidden, I really tried to get a peek but never managed
Anyway, I dont see how one should be able to get an HTP for a left hooker that was never made and raced in period

a 1969 (!) Porsche 914, this is interesting, because it cant be a proper 6 cylinder car then, as 914-6 production only started in 1970

I am sure there are more.....

Rudolf
Rudolf,the HRG has always had it's Singer engine,if you had asked to look under the bonnet,I'm sure you would have been made more than welcome.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 07:30 (Ref:3002125)   #38
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Does it?

911 65 cars there as late replacements for other cars to keep Teams up to correct number.Think both in 2010 replaced 904's that broke.

Not what it seems.

Two and two do not always make four.You should know that being a banker.
I am not sure that you are correct John - a regular Tour Auto Johnny entered his 65 911 on its own merits and got the nod. However that aside if someone's car broke on the run up to Goodwood a reserve would get the entry rather than the owner saying he will bring another car from that era!!!
All I am saying is that the event puts itself up as being an unwavering fascimile of the event in period yet it has models which never ran in period!
Old 20 Dec 2011, 07:58 (Ref:3002134)   #39
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMC

I understand the first selection meeting is today.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 12:47 (Ref:3002206)   #40
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Grid 1 ,you can get most things in and the HRG obviously got in by having the correct owner as that was the only correct thing about it.Can't see it being back.

As for 911's.Quite believe the TA 911 story as Patrick Peter runs a big business and if he has a customer that wants in he finds a place.Sensible person.

Know about one of the other in 2010 as it was mine and it replaced my 904 that coughed and died three days before the event.

Trouble about both being let in so won't be many next year.

Simon,Thought you knew all about Woodgood.They do find cars at the last minute and if you are a big owner you can be asked if you have cars with problems to change it for something about correct.It's happened and is to be expected as they want full grids.You will have to go to LMC one day to see what its all about.

As for history of cars I am sure both Goodwood and Le Mans have both had Adrian Newey specials that are not quite what they were in the day,It happens.

Overall its no big deal at either meeting.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 18:45 (Ref:3002362)   #41
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Rudolf,the HRG has always had it's Singer engine,if you had asked to look under the bonnet,I'm sure you would have been made more than welcome.

I agree that the car was supplied by HRG with a Singer engine, never doubted that, I own a similar HRG 1500, the Betty Haig HRG, which has significant competiton history.

I just know that HRG that ran in G1 it is a postwar car, beeing passed of as pre war car.

No HRG Singer 1500s were made before 1940, as long as the Meadows 1,5 litre was available and made more power.
Series production of the 1500 Singer engined HRGs started in 1946.

I agree with JR.
The HRG owner is french and knows the right people and has been a LMC entrant since the beginning.
As long as he keeps the bonnet shut, he can have a Toyota engine in there.

Last edited by Rudernst; 20 Dec 2011 at 19:06.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 19:10 (Ref:3002375)   #42
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quite agree Rudolf,only the French! I had no idea you owned that HRG,been involved with the Bluebell-Gibb's car for quite a few years!
Old 20 Dec 2011, 22:15 (Ref:3002459)   #43
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Quite agree Rudolf,only the French! I had no idea you owned that HRG,been involved with the Bluebell-Gibb's car for quite a few years!

HRGs are a religion, more than Astons.
The Betty Haig HRG was on offer in Switzerland for quite some time.
I watched it but never moved to buy it.
One day the advert was gone and only then did I realise how much I wanted it and rued the missed opportunity. I was miserable.
It appeared to have sold at the Retromobile.
When the advert reappeared shortly after, I wasted no time, turned out that the prospective buyer had reneged on his promise and would not pay.
Luckyly this episode wore out the dealer to the point that he dropped his price to be shot of it.
Never looked back...
Love Story with a tragic episode and a happy ending....

We must take this back to LMC:

JR is rigth frogs can get almost everything accepted in G1
I remember the Aston LONG CHASSIS that got in in 2008, looked very funny on the track...
And last time a Lagonda M45 T7 tourer, as much as I like old Lags, that wasnt much of a racecar either.

But to say something positive.
When we did the first fake Le Mans start at LMC in 2006, I had a Bugatti 37 next to me.
Wen we "sprinted" across the track, the driver ran, stopped, stooped in front of his car, all in one fluid movement, hand-cranked it, jumped in and drove off.
very stilish and very French, had me impressed

Rudolf

Last edited by Rudernst; 20 Dec 2011 at 22:21.
Old 21 Dec 2011, 09:55 (Ref:3002588)   #44
simon drabble
Veteran

Rudolf - you are clearly a true petrol head and your clear passion shows in your posts - good on you. I know exactly the feeling you describe and hope for a similar happy ending on something I am working on.
Old 22 Dec 2011, 12:58 (Ref:3003171)   #45
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
I understand the first selection meeting is today.

any news about the entry list ?

Rudolf
Old 22 Dec 2011, 13:45 (Ref:3003194)   #46
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

You are all getting excited.

French will publish it when they are on holiday so they don't get to much hassle.
Old 22 Dec 2011, 13:45 (Ref:3003195)   #47
HFJ Drifter
Rookie

United Kingdom
New Forest
HFJ Drifter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
HRGs are a religion, more than Astons.

Rudolf
Quite agree Rudolf, Hurgs are superb cars.

Stuart
Old 22 Dec 2011, 13:52 (Ref:3003198)   #48
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

On reflection about this list.

You will save at least 7 Grand for every car that doesn't get entered!

Real HRG's are better!

I thought Talbots were the superior religion.Have a spare one if anyone wants an expensive Christmas present.

Think they should allow Altas.Same make as one that raced in 32.
Old 22 Dec 2011, 15:15 (Ref:3003225)   #49
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:

French will publish it when they are on holiday so they don't get to much hassle.

That had not ocurred to me but is a very convincing argument....

was exactly that, last time

Rudolf
Old 22 Dec 2011, 17:20 (Ref:3003268)   #50
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:

The list is out

http://www.lemansclassic.com/userfil...esengagsN1.pdf

I am in with 2 cars .
Lorraine Dietrich in G1
Kieft Climax in G2
first time ever with 2 cars

Porsche 914 not in (yet), but a veery long shot anyway

quite happy about the Kieft, getting the car in, 2 weeks after the auction, Hibberds are stripping it allready

The wonder HRG 1500 is also in, build year given as 1938, impossible with a Singer engine.

A Lombard AL3 is in, which I allways thought would have a very good chance in the G1.
If somebody wants to get in deperately I would reccommend a 1929 front drive Alvis in G1

Does somebody want to hire me as a tactical car aquisition consultant ?

Rudolf

Last edited by Rudernst; 22 Dec 2011 at 17:39.