Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Apr 2009, 10:44 (Ref:2433080)   #1
DJJ
Racer

DJJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Diffusers

So some teams spent alot more time on the new cars then some.

Stewards and FIA say they are ok, so why are we going to Paris next week for the ruling?

Are the teams that spent so much on winning that year scared that the lower teams developed earlier.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 10:48 (Ref:2433082)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
There's still time to put the 'a' in Paris.

They were legal and cleared by the stewards in Australia and are still legal etc in Malaysia,so it's my belief that they should be legal everywhere.

So yes,some teams are a tad "scared" of what they failed to do during the off-season.BMW have also offically joined the protest now.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 11:07 (Ref:2433092)   #3
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
This morning on Speed that chaps were saying it will cost Ferrari and others around $30 million to do diffuser re-designs on their cars for this season..

The entire proposed operating budget for 2010!
Old 4 Apr 2009, 11:18 (Ref:2433103)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
The entire proposed operating budget for 2010!
They'd better get a move on then.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 15:14 (Ref:2434284)   #5
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ross Brawn says that at a meeting last year, he offered assistance in clearing up the diffuser regulations: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74282
Old 5 Apr 2009, 15:24 (Ref:2434302)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
And the other teams declined...
Old 5 Apr 2009, 15:32 (Ref:2434316)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
And the other teams declined...
That's what he says,and no doubt that little episode will be put forward as evidence by Brawn that he had offered to 'clean up' the regs.

It's interesting that if you look at the stuff that Red Bull and Ferrari have hanging off the front of their sidepods that they should say that these diffusers aren't 'in the spirit of the regulations'.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 15:39 (Ref:2434324)   #8
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Fortunately, it would appear 99.9% certain than the diffusers are going to be ruled as legal. Since before the start of the season, and all the way through it to date, the FIA has been consistently and clearly supporting the diffusers. All the protests have been dismissed, and they have done nothing but say they consider them legal.

It would appear that the appeal is just going to be a formality, with it only happening because the teams have the right to it.

Mind you, it would be rather in-keeping with history if the FIA did a u-turn.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 15:40 (Ref:2434330)   #9
Devilsadvocate
Rookie

Devilsadvocate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I laughed when I read the Autosport article about Brawn basically telling the other teams how he would win next year (2009) and they rejected it. I can picture the smug grin he must have had driving home after the meeting. I wonder if they all thought "oh it's only Honda they wont jump to the front with some silly diffuser exploitation..."
Old 5 Apr 2009, 15:44 (Ref:2434336)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
Fortunately, it would appear 99.9% certain than the diffusers are going to be ruled as legal.
It's always that 0.1% that catches you out though isn't it.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 15:45 (Ref:2434341)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I believe this diffuser issue is a non starter in Paris and will get kicked out. I agree with you Martin, Ross Brawn will present this conversation with the teams as evidence..

The wing mirror supports on the Ferrari for instance spring to mind..
Old 5 Apr 2009, 15:45 (Ref:2434342)   #12
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
It's always that 0.1% that catches you out though isn't it.
The 0.1% only catches you out when you claim 100% certainty, .

If they do decide the diffusers are illegal, I think I'll take a holiday from the forum for a week.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 15:46 (Ref:2434345)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsadvocate View Post
I laughed when I read the Autosport article about Brawn basically telling the other teams how he would win next year (2009) and they rejected it. I can picture the smug grin he must have had driving home after the meeting. I wonder if they all thought "oh it's only Honda they wont jump to the front with some silly diffuser exploitation..."
Well,he didn't tell them what he was going to do,he just let them get on with what they thought they should do.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 15:47 (Ref:2434347)   #14
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW lodged protests against the "diffuser gang" at Sepang, the protests were not successful. This was no surprise as it was merely a procedural thing so BMW can be present at Paris on the 14th April, after their protests at Melbourne were thrown out on a technicality.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 15:49 (Ref:2434351)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
The 0.1% only catches you out when you claim 100% certainty, .

If they do decide the diffusers are illegal, I think I'll take a holiday from the forum for a week.
Are you 100% certain of both those things ?
Old 5 Apr 2009, 15:51 (Ref:2434354)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
BMW lodged protests against the "diffuser gang" at Sepang, the protests were not successful. This was no surprise as it was merely a procedural thing so BMW can be present at Paris on the 14th April, after their protests at Melbourne were thrown out on a technicality.
They lodged a protest to make sure that the results of todays race are also provisional.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 15:50 (Ref:2438855)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Rory Byrne is on the side of the ones who reckon the diffusers are illegal.But he does still work for Ferrari.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74409
Old 11 Apr 2009, 15:58 (Ref:2438862)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well Ferrari tend to protest anything they don't have.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 16:00 (Ref:2438865)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They protest things they have too. They had the designs for their 2007 car didn't they?
Old 11 Apr 2009, 16:01 (Ref:2438867)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 12 Apr 2009, 19:03 (Ref:2439409)   #21
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand fron someone "in the know" that Brawn already has a legal diffuser if the one they are using is deemed illegal.
Old 12 Apr 2009, 19:40 (Ref:2439428)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
I understand fron someone "in the know" that Brawn already has a legal diffuser if the one they are using is deemed illegal.
I would imagine that it's been the case for some time now.I don't think that they'll be too worried about any negative effect that putting on a 'new' diffuser will have since Barrichello's car seemed to go quite well with no diffuser at all (due to first corner incident) in Melbourne!
Old 12 Apr 2009, 19:48 (Ref:2439430)   #23
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I would imagine that it's been the case for some time now.I don't think that they'll be too worried about any negative effect that putting on a 'new' diffuser will have since Barrichello's car seemed to go quite well with no diffuser at all (due to first corner incident) in Melbourne!
I'm a bit confused by this, or am I missing something.
Did the loss of front wing cause the diffuser to function differently, or did Barrichello also lose his diffuser?
I would have thought that a collision large enough to damage a diffuser would also impact the engine/gearbox.
Old 12 Apr 2009, 20:23 (Ref:2439447)   #24
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Martin maybe you could explain as I am also confused to be honest...
Old 12 Apr 2009, 21:57 (Ref:2439491)   #25
craigd
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
craigd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barrichello's diffuser was slightly damaged at the 1st corner when Kovalainen rammed him...