Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 22 Jan 2008, 17:03 (Ref:2111337)   #1
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Car Stereos

What would you do?

as im 17
my car has not got a stereo in it
and i have about 70/80 quid to spend on one i was thinking of this

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegoryrn_79351

or

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegoryrn_79351

and whether i should get it fitted or not

my car has the universal plug and an aerial plug

Last edited by mattt; 22 Jan 2008 at 17:05.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 18:07 (Ref:2111388)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
my inner chav says buy kenwood. but they also make blenders, so...

the first one (ripspeed? never heard of them) has better capacity for speakers though, so i suppose technically that's your better stereo.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 18:34 (Ref:2111402)   #3
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Of the two, I'd definitely go for the Kenwood.

I'd also consider buying second-hand; of course, you may need ipod/USB connectivity, which may not be easy to find on anything but the new newest units. (see your PMs!)

Fitting isn't very difficult, which is why Halfrauds will do it!

If your car has a DIN aperture & connectors, which most will have, it's a very quick job - installing speakers,if they aren't already fitted, will take longer, but wiring them is easy.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 19:20 (Ref:2111419)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella

the first one (ripspeed? never heard of them) has better capacity for speakers though, so i suppose technically that's your better stereo.
Ripspeed is Halfords boy racer brand name. Ripspeed used to be Tottenham's equivalent of a chavs Demon Tweeks.
It looks like a rebadged Sanyo so I think I would go for the Kenwood.
If the plugs and speakers are already there it is just a matter of connecting them up and slotting the radio in.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 00:29 (Ref:2111672)   #5
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
out of those two. Kenwood. Shouldn't put up too much of a fight.

Personally though, I'd plump for anything made Somewhere Outside New York. There's a crypic clue there somewhere.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 00:44 (Ref:2111678)   #6
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you're feeling brave, you can probably get alot more for your money on eBay.

But be wary, and ideally collect in person so you can check it - cos you can also get seriously ripped off.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 02:30 (Ref:2111708)   #7
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have the very same Kenwood head unit in my car mattt- I'm 17 too, so I can relate to your position!

It's a very good and reliable unit, I haven't had any troubles with it since I bought it. If possible, when you buy speakers make sure you buy Kenwood as well, because it's better not to mix and match different brands (I know a few guys who have tried that and ended up with compatability problems).

Josh
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 23 Jan 2008, 15:34 (Ref:2112045)   #8
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good mate of myn whos a year older, also has the very same stereo.

So i think of gonna buy the kenwood one from halfords online and get one shortly.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 18:11 (Ref:2119876)   #9
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
Well today i went into halfords and found the better version of the one i was looking at for cheaper instore. I spent £60 on it and it had free fitting with it, so i havent got to fit it. i got a 4x50watt when i was looking at the the 4x45watt version.
Old 4 Feb 2008, 06:18 (Ref:2120242)   #10
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
Kenwood also make proper stereo gear