Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 3 Mar 2008, 15:37 (Ref:2143340)   #1
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Car buying time....

Right, I've got my practical test in about 6 weeks (yay ), so I figure its time to start making some arrangements for getting me a car.

I've been checking out the Scot-Ads (which will mean nothing to those south of the border I don't think!), but havent found anything that looks particularlly brilliant.

I had a look on Auto Trader and saw a '97 Fiat Punto 55 S here

I checked on Parkers and they seem to have valued it a bit high, but I dont know how reliable Parkers valuations are, so I don't really know. I'm going to pester the father tonight and see if we can go check it out at the weekend - he has some mechanical knowledge so he sould be able to tell me if it'll last a year or two without falling to bits (I dont imagine it would, its not *that* old!) - then I've just gotta pay for the insurance etc on it....

Any other tips for finding/checking out a used car?

Cheers,
David
Old 3 Mar 2008, 16:49 (Ref:2143392)   #2
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you take it for a test drive, make sure he hasn't warmed up the engine yet. Many issues that are apparent at start up dissapear once the engine reaches temp.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 18:38 (Ref:2143491)   #3
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Parkers are pretty reliable as a guide, depends on the condition of the car as to if its worth it. Always haggle too, never pay the asking price
Old 3 Mar 2008, 18:50 (Ref:2143501)   #4
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, says £750 ono, so should manage to get it for less than that if the father approves
Old 3 Mar 2008, 20:51 (Ref:2143579)   #5
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
If buying from a private individual from Auto Trader or similar, when you phone up ask about "the car you have for sale" - don't say exactly what car.
If they have to say "which one?" - there's something iffy going on...

Also, an independent, proper inspection of the vehicle is well worth the expense. If it reveals no problems, then it gives you peace of mind. If there's a small problem - something to haggle with. And if it's a death-trap, that money's just saved your life.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 21:40 (Ref:2143606)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I would agree with Asp , also if you can find out a little bit more about the car. For instance, how long has the person that is selling the car owned it, and is their name in the log book ? I have worked on/sold cars for 40 years and have seen all the tricks in the book, and to be honest most of the general public wouldn't recognise a decent car if it run them over ! At least the said car isn't loads of money and as it isn't fully loaded with all the bells and whistles ,there isn't an awful lot to go wrong. Also the valuation guides are "just" a guide and if its a straight car it can save money by the time the next MOT comes round rather than paying less for an old banger !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 3 Mar 2008, 21:43 (Ref:2143608)   #7
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd avoid getting a Punto to be honest! My first car was a black 2000 Punto, purchased from a main dealer.

It was back with them 1o minutes after being collected as the head gasket had gone. In the following 6 months it required a new steering column, fuel pump, airbag, steering rack and the thrust bearing exploded destroying the gearbox!

I've yet to actually meet someone who's had a good experience with a Punto. it's ashame because it was astunning little car in the looks department.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 11:44 (Ref:2144055)   #8
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
when you come to do your insurance, aside from the obvious of shopping around, if it's going to be in your name it might be worth adding your father on as a named driver......can bring the price down a hell of a lot
Old 6 Mar 2008, 16:33 (Ref:2145750)   #9
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
insurance wise

im with Quinn and they are really quite cheap, for example it costs me £800 on my own insurance for a £700 corsa (2nd cheapest quote £1600)

a mate of myn is with Endsleigh and i think his is quite cheap

I would definately put as many hours of driving experience on the insurance to lower it. Ive got my day with 33 yrs drivin and my mum with 27 yrs of experience and that lowered my quote considerably