Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 25 Sep 2007, 16:12 (Ref:2022754)   #1
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Speed-limit limiters, would you have one?

As any form of speeding is now being demonised big time and will probably soon be a capital offence would you consider having a limiter fitted to your car that would limit your speed to whatever the roads limit is?

The actual programming would be fairly simple, just a sat nav type device with all the speed limits pre-installed linked to a limiter on the throttle system is all that would be required. The biggest problem I could see is retro fitting them to just about any car that doesn't have some form of cruise control fitted.

So given the choice would you have one especially if there was some other form of incentive to make it more palletable?
I know it's rolling over and taking it up the rear end but I think I would seriously consider having such a system fitted.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 16:29 (Ref:2022770)   #2
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As long as it enforced a lower limit below which you could not go.

Jim
Old 25 Sep 2007, 16:30 (Ref:2022771)   #3
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i already have a limiter fitted to my car

i just need to set it lol
Old 25 Sep 2007, 17:19 (Ref:2022803)   #4
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well that would reduce accident's wouldn't it?.......

.....No, I don't think so either!
Old 25 Sep 2007, 18:01 (Ref:2022824)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Not a chance. There's always that occasion that the only way to get out of trouble is to gun the hell out of the throttle. And, besides, I rather like going making good time when conditions allow
Old 25 Sep 2007, 21:46 (Ref:2022995)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I've had a speed limiter for 35 years, she also does the ironing sometimes I have found the tomtom definitely keeps me somewhere near the speed limit so that's a start. With the state of the overcrowded road system in the UK today its nearly self limiting anyway !
I have a good idea, all the time you are held up in traffic you should be alowed to make up for it on a sliding scale, ie 50 mph for 1hr, 100mph for 30mins and so on . Vote for me in the next G E
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Sep 2007, 11:16 (Ref:2023444)   #7
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mercedes do a dual function cruise control system, one is as usual but the other setting sets a variable maximum speed limit which you can adjust as required while you're driving. I actually found that very useful but still under your control and decision on the limit you set.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 13:13 (Ref:2023545)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Like Craig I like having the option available of standing on the throttle and getting the hell out of there if I need to - sometimes breaking the speed limit is the only way to avoid a big accident.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 12:04 (Ref:2024346)   #9
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On our non-divided highways it would cause major problems with overtaking. Personally I want to spend as little time as possible on the wrong side of the road.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 17:44 (Ref:2024573)   #10
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM
Mercedes do a dual function cruise control system, one is as usual but the other setting sets a variable maximum speed limit which you can adjust as required while you're driving. I actually found that very useful but still under your control and decision on the limit you set.

similar system to what i have in my citroen c4 grand picasso
Old 27 Sep 2007, 18:27 (Ref:2024602)   #11
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There would have to be a very strong incentive, ie. no road tax and a large insurance discount, and then I'd only consider it on a daily driver car if I had access to an unlimited fun car. On my usual commute I don't have much opportunity to break the law in a worthwhile manner.

(and if the gps in the limiter is anything like the one in my satnav, I'll be halfway to work before it kicks in)
Old 28 Sep 2007, 20:42 (Ref:2025374)   #12
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no thanks, i like my car the way it is, no speed limiter thank you
Old 2 Oct 2007, 09:11 (Ref:2028679)   #13
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After January 1st 2008 everything over 3.5 tons will have to by law be limited to 90kph......

It wont be long before some kind of legislation is passed to limit the speed of cars as well....
Old 3 Oct 2007, 04:50 (Ref:2029544)   #14
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heavy trucks and buses are speed-limited to 100km/h here, and have been for several years. There was an interesting case recently where a bus was booked for doing something like 120km/h on the Hume Highway (M1 equiv) by the new cameras which measure the time taken to travel from point A to point B (and C, D & E!). The bus company strenuously denied the charge as the M-B bus was factory fitted with a speed limiter – due to the shadier types in the industry they are not always operational you understand! – and after media intervention further investigation revealed the two incriminating photos were in fact of different buses! Identical make, model and livery, and very similar registration numbers. Most embarrassing for the government and their “infallible” revenue/safety cameras!
Old 4 Oct 2007, 23:23 (Ref:2031432)   #15
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackx
After January 1st 2008 everything over 3.5 tons will have to by law be limited to 90kph......

It wont be long before some kind of legislation is passed to limit the speed of cars as well....
everything?

Oh dear - that makes life awkward if you have a 3.9 ton motorhome!

Anyway, I'm of the beleif that every car has a speed limiter - and it sits behind the steering wheel. The speed is limited to how fast the driver wants to go.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 23:38 (Ref:2031450)   #16
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
everything?

Oh dear - that makes life awkward if you have a 3.9 ton motorhome!

Anyway, I'm of the beleif that every car has a speed limiter - and it sits behind the steering wheel. The speed is limited to how fast the driver wants to go.

Everything commercial wise..

I think motorhomes will be exempt...
Old 5 Oct 2007, 12:34 (Ref:2031946)   #17
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmmm... One to check out then.
Old 5 Oct 2007, 13:48 (Ref:2032025)   #18
blackx
Veteran

England
The regulation has come from the vehicle inspectorate who MOT commercial vehicles and coaches so really I doubt motor homes would be covered...

My 4x4 and caravan together weigh more than 3.5 tons when fully laden and I dont need a limiter.
Old 5 Oct 2007, 15:23 (Ref:2032098)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackx

Sod it, if I keep eating chocolate and burgers, I'm going to be limited........

Otherwise, over my dead body.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 16:04 (Ref:2414984)   #20
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this was first mooted as a way of stopping execsive speeding - but in a move to not p155 off people the government said, 'we could introduce speed limiters, but they would be voluntary'.

I fail to see how that would work? Surly the people who are going too fast will not be overly willing to take a speed limiter, just the folk who stick to it anyway!

Unless you do some kind of 'free lexus lights' offer?!
Old 13 Mar 2009, 19:31 (Ref:2415114)   #21
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
I'd like such a device - UNDER MY CONTROL!

Already available on most French cars, Jaguar, etc.

I use cruise control wherever possible - it makes driving so much easier, as it removes the need to be constantly watching the speedo, but there are a lot of situations where it can't be used. A limiter which could be set to the prevailing speed limit, easily over-ridden if required, would cover those situations.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 19:39 (Ref:2415119)   #22
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
I'd like such a device - UNDER MY CONTROL!

Already available on most French cars, Jaguar, etc.

I use cruise control wherever possible - it makes driving so much easier, as it removes the need to be constantly watching the speedo, but there are a lot of situations where it can't be used. A limiter which could be set to the prevailing speed limit, easily over-ridden if required, would cover those situations.
Some cars already have those - simply a variation on the speed limiter. A hire car Citroen C4 I had once had the option of cruise control or speed limiter. I found the limiter handy for in-town driving, and used cruise on the motorways.
Old 14 Mar 2009, 09:37 (Ref:2415390)   #23
kjw
Racer

United Kingdom
East Kent
kjw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cruise control does the job nicely, three setting 30, 40 and 70. You just need to remember to switch it on.
Old 14 Mar 2009, 21:02 (Ref:2415696)   #24
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
So what we are saying is we want a speed limiter... with a push to pass button!?

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 14 Mar 2009, 23:45 (Ref:2415757)   #25
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sounds good. I'd vote for a device that didn't let you turn right at an island if you hadn't signalled first.