Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 25 Mar 2009, 19:45 (Ref:2424696)   #1
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Toyota LandCruiser Brake Problem

The brake pedal on my Toyota LandCruiser creeps to the floor if I hold it pressed down hard. If I pump the brakes the pedal will go hard but still creep back down if I keep it pressed.

There doesn't appear to be any leaks anywhere, it doesn't seem to have used any fluid and the brakes seem to work OK although I have never driven another similar car so I have nothing to compare them with.

My thoughts are that it could be the master cylinder seals letting fluid by but a new MC is £250 and the local Toyota agent says they never sell any (maybe because they are £250) and they don't seem to give any problems.

Has anyone got any ideas I could try before I shell out on a new master cylinder.
Old 25 Mar 2009, 20:05 (Ref:2424712)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Sounds like master cylinder seals to me. Rather than buying a new master cylinder, can you get a seal kit?
Old 25 Mar 2009, 21:11 (Ref:2424753)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Tim. A lot of cars if you put your foot on the brake gently it will creep to the floor (even brand new ones) But if you "stand" on it it doesn't. Also will it do it without the engine running after all the vacuum has gone ? As for repairing the master cylinder you will probably find that you cant buy a seal kit. or if you can its nearly as dear as a master cylinder ! Has this just happened or have you done anything to the braking system lately (even changing the pads) ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 25 Mar 2009, 21:17 (Ref:2424760)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I haven't touched the brakes at all. If you stamp on them the pedal will go to the floor, this is how I found the problem when I was reversing the trailer up the drive the other day. Being automatic it takes time to take up the drive when reversing the trailer up hill gently, suddenly it lurched back toward the garage and I stamped on the brakes and the pedal went to the floor. As for the creeping down, it may not pass an MOT test as it is now.
The pedal is firm without the engine running and all vacuum gone but I would need the legs of Geoff Capes to push it with the engine off wouldn't I?

Dave, I wouldn't **** around with a seal kit, it's not worth the hassle.
Old 25 Mar 2009, 21:41 (Ref:2424770)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Tim its just that I had a similar problem with a pick up truck some while back and spent a fortune replacing parts that didn't make any difference. In the end it turned out to be an ABS problem. It might well be a master cylinder problem if its done loads of miles especially if the fluid isn't changed for years. I take it you haven't got a balloon in a brake hose ?
A good check is to clamp off the front and rear brake hoses with proper brake hose clamps (or mole grips!) and see if it still does it. Modern Motors AAARRRRRG !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 25 Mar 2009, 22:04 (Ref:2424800)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
It hasn't done many miles, 70K but 10 years old. I did try clamping the back brakes off and it was better, I haven't checked for any bulges under pressure,will try that when I can get it on the ramp.
I am loath to start chasing things at great expense as I have never had a problem with a master cylinder in any of the cars I've owned.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 08:20 (Ref:2425055)   #7
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm on my second Landcruiser which is the "new" shape and I have the same issue with the pedal going slowly to the floor.
As my last one (99) did the same thing, I put it down to a sort of a quirk in the design which seemed to have no ill effect on the brake system (as far as I could see).
I have to say that all this has got me thinking now so maybe a quick call to my local Toyota dealer is in order.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 08:31 (Ref:2425066)   #8
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Its not only one particular make of vehicle this happens on. Most Merc Sprinter vans have an appalling low brake pedal . This can be caused by when fitting new pads. When pushing the calipiper pistons back it can upset the ABS system. Its best to undo the bleed nipples.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 13:12 (Ref:2432357)   #9
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
The brake pedal on my Toyota LandCruiser creeps to the floor if I hold it pressed down hard. If I pump the brakes the pedal will go hard but still creep back down if I keep it pressed.

There doesn't appear to be any leaks anywhere, it doesn't seem to have used any fluid and the brakes seem to work OK although I have never driven another similar car so I have nothing to compare them with.

My thoughts are that it could be the master cylinder seals letting fluid by but a new MC is £250 and the local Toyota agent says they never sell any (maybe because they are £250) and they don't seem to give any problems.

Has anyone got any ideas I could try before I shell out on a new master cylinder.
I had a similar problem with my old 80's series. Sounds like it's the booster and master cylinder. Only option is to replace the booster and cylinder. Trust me, I tried other options but to be on the safe side, I replaced the affected gear.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 13:02 (Ref:2435895)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Update; I had a good look underneath again yesterday and noticed a teeny weeny bit of brake fluid on the bleed nipple of one of the rear calipers. I bled it and tightened the nipple up a bit tighter than it had been and it now seems OK. Although there is still a fair bit of travel on the pedal it's not as bad as it was, the brakes seem to be far better and the pedal no longer creeps to the floor if you hold your foot on the brake. Fingers crossed that the problem is solved and thanks for all the help guys.