Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 26 Jun 2012, 23:04 (Ref:3098718)   #2576
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I've tweeted John on his thoughts, and he says that the WEC indeed is part of the issue, as the gentleman drivers want the biggest bang for their often considerable expenditure of bucks, you know, guys like Tracy Krohn and Rob Kauffman, who'd probably be in the ALMS or Grand Am full time if not for the WEC being a much larger stage.

Also, it's generally agreed (Derek Bell, Scott Pruett, and Dagys) that a merger is the best solution, but barring the ACO/FIA's 2014 rules swaying things in that direction, it's not gonna happen any time soon. I agree with what Scott and Dave Despain said on Wind Tunnel--fans want to see cool cars, cool drivers, advanced technology, and close racing. The WEC can give that, but by proxy can Grand Am and the ALMS offer those things, too? They can now, to various degrees, and a combined series can, but with Don Panoz and Jim France being so bull-headed, who would give up what to get a unified series. Again, only those guys ties to the FIA and, to a lesser degree, the ACO, can give us any glimmering, faint chance of that happening unless ALMS and Grand Am get some major management shake ups.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 03:20 (Ref:3098774)   #2577
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
I cannot find evidence of an Audi R10 doing a 1:08.xxx

If this was done, it wasn't done in any practice/qualifying/race for IMSA.
Yeah, I haven't seen anything about it either aside from trackpedia, but that site tends to be reliable for this sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
In other news, John Dagys has managed to pi$$ off the entire Grand Am forum, GARRAfans, for simply repeating something team owner Michael Shank Racing said about the future of the DP class.
lol there's actually people who are fans of Grand Am?

Last edited by DistortedSmile; 27 Jun 2012 at 03:27.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 07:04 (Ref:3098803)   #2578
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
lol there's actually people who are fans of Grand Am?
Well , the cars are looking better than they did a few years back , and they dont carry that abortion fin thing !!!

I wouldnt mind seein a class for them at Le Mans tbh , sound good too .
Old 27 Jun 2012, 07:08 (Ref:3098804)   #2579
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
In other news, John Dagys has managed to pi$$ off the entire Grand Am forum, GARRAfans, for simply repeating something team owner Michael Shank Racing said about the future of the DP class.

Funny stuff.
Eh, I suggest you read that thread again. There's only 2 people that are really ****ed off (one of them with a whooping 4 posts), the rest are actually defending Dagys.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 09:22 (Ref:3098862)   #2580
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Well , the cars are looking better than they did a few years back , and they dont carry that abortion fin thing !!!

I wouldnt mind seein a class for them at Le Mans tbh , sound good too .
Ok, that was a poorly worded statement, it probably sounds a lot more inflammatory than I intended it to be.
I've actually enjoyed GA this season, it's been decent enough and I agree the cars do look good.
I've just never seen many people who would fit the ''annoying fanboy'' archetype among those that even care about Grand Am, certainly not enough to cause ''controversy'' or whatever nonsense they have going on with Dagys.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 09:30 (Ref:3098866)   #2581
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Interesting discussion. I think Dagys is pretty good, he at least takes the time to understand all the series he covers. His coverage of GT3 in Europe (BPE, FIA etc is excellent)

To be honest from a European (and ACO series participant perspective) he often more pro-SRO than I'm comfortable with.

It's often hard to hear things about a series you're close to or a fan of.

Ironically the new shape DP's are closer to what the ACO want an LMP1 to be :-) I think a mid-engined version of the current DTM car with a Corvette DP body would be there kind of thing.

Ben
Old 27 Jun 2012, 10:00 (Ref:3098878)   #2582
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Eh, I suggest you read that thread again. There's only 2 people that are really ****ed off (one of them with a whooping 4 posts), the rest are actually defending Dagys.
Whats funny was the guy thats really angry (the one you mention with 4 posts) was on the SPEED chat with Dagys, asking him questions and chatting with him the night before.

This was not meant to be a Grand Am vs ALMS deal, just to report that Dagys had ticked off some people, since this is yet another slow newsweek for both ALMS and Grand Am.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 13:57 (Ref:3098958)   #2583
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Many of the Grand Am faithful have been very defensive of their chosen series, so this reaction isn't too surprising. I wish more of the press were allowed to present balanced reporting, without the fear of reprisal from the sanction.

The Grand Am faithful need to grow a bit of perspective on this though. First, no series can sit on their laurels and expect complete devotion from it's entrants. These entrants are customers, and if they are not satisfied they will leave. Second, open dissatisfaction often leads to solutions from the sanction for the betterment of the series. It was just a few years ago that this was the case with the ALMS, and the series brought these owners into a committee to provide recommendations on how to improve things.

I suspect Grand Am management will do what is necessary to placate these individuals, and things will move on status quo. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be reported on, or that it isn't news... it is what it is.

Did Dagys not also report recently on Toyota's dissatisfaction with the rules for ACO?
Old 27 Jun 2012, 14:51 (Ref:3098975)   #2584
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
First, no series can sit on their laurels and expect complete devotion from it's entrants. These entrants are customers, and if they are not satisfied they will leave. Second, open dissatisfaction often leads to solutions from the sanction for the betterment of the series. It was just a few years ago that this was the case with the ALMS, and the series brought these owners into a committee to provide recommendations on how to improve things.

I suspect Grand Am management will do what is necessary to placate these individuals, and things will move on status quo. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be reported on, or that it isn't news... it is what it is.
Exactly, I interpreted this to be an public complaint by the GA competitors because public complaints get heard the loudest by governing/sanctioning bodies.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 16:00 (Ref:3099010)   #2585
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
...but with Don Panoz and Jim France being so bull-headed, who would give up what to get a unified series. Again, only those guys ties to the FIA and, to a lesser degree, the ACO, can give us any glimmering, faint chance of that happening unless ALMS and Grand Am get some major management shake ups.
It's true that both of them are so bull-headed, but it's their own fault for making the split after 1998.

On the other hand, will either Oreca and HPD provide those teams (Newman-Haas, Black Swan...) some chassis as an alternative?
Old 27 Jun 2012, 16:07 (Ref:3099015)   #2586
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Black Swan owner Pappas only wants to drive in a car with a roof... HPD and Oreca don't have such options.

Haas was looking solely at the Lola, due to his relationship with Lola.

Surely Oreca and HPD would sell chassis to approved partners with appropriate budget though.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 16:23 (Ref:3099018)   #2587
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Wasn't the PSCR/USRRC thing caused by dissatisfaction with Andy Evans? I don't think Panoz came in until those borderlines had already been drawn.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 16:36 (Ref:3099022)   #2588
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Panoz was actually on the board of USRRC, but became dissatisfied over the BoP for the GT1-cars versus the WSCs.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 21:24 (Ref:3099148)   #2589
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
It seems that Don Panoz was on the USRRC board when he became dissatisfied with how the ACO spec cars were being BoP'd, so he left and partnered with Andy Evans to be founder of the ALMS and part owner of PSCR (pre-1998 IMSA).

Several teams then were dissatisfied with Evans' management of the series (probably including Audi and Corvette Racing, among several other major entrants), so Panoz bought out the PSCR from Evans entirely and renamed it IMSA for the final couple of ALMS rounds in '01 and the revived IMSA name stuck, which takes us to the present day ownership of IMSA and the ALMS.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3099176)   #2590
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Black Swan owner Pappas only wants to drive in a car with a roof... HPD and Oreca don't have such options.

Haas was looking solely at the Lola, due to his relationship with Lola.

Surely Oreca and HPD would sell chassis to approved partners with appropriate budget though.
There are some aditional coupe options, the first is the Riley, but Riley didn´t construct any (I´d love to see that car running). The second option is the Bailey, but I don´t know how competitive it is and I don´t know if that car passed the Fia crash test.

...and there are one future option (if it become real) the Kodewa-Lotus
Old 28 Jun 2012, 15:19 (Ref:3099450)   #2591
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looks as Lucas is becoming a celebrity in U.S supermarkets!

Old 29 Jun 2012, 10:34 (Ref:3099786)   #2592
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
That'd make a nice souvenir

How big is muscle milk over in the states?
Old 29 Jun 2012, 11:20 (Ref:3099804)   #2593
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
That'd make a nice souvenir
True colors coming out there Rich , I'd prefer something with boobs myself mate !!
Old 29 Jun 2012, 11:38 (Ref:3099812)   #2594
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's actually pretty cool. Sort of like Vettel advertising Red Bull.^^
Old 29 Jun 2012, 11:49 (Ref:3099817)   #2595
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.alms.com/articles/muscle-...-return-action
So I guess we won't be seeing the Muscle Milk PC car for the rest of the season - or at least as part of the Muscle Milk group. It might enter as an independent later this year or next year
Old 29 Jun 2012, 12:18 (Ref:3099824)   #2596
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
How big is muscle milk over in the states?
I see them everywhere energy drinks are sold. C-stores, everywhere. Pickett's deal w/Honda also put them on the factory motocross team here in the states. That photo was taken at a Wal-mart.
Old 29 Jun 2012, 12:52 (Ref:3099830)   #2597
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
I see them everywhere energy drinks are sold. C-stores, everywhere. Pickett's deal w/Honda also put them on the factory motocross team here in the states. That photo was taken at a Wal-mart.
My friend (who runs Cross Country and Track) used Muscle Milk before, it was fun seeing the brand on an ALMS car when I watched my first race last year
Old 29 Jun 2012, 14:56 (Ref:3099885)   #2598
Porsche917K
Racer

United States
Napa, CA
Porsche917K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Muscle Milk has been huge for a very long time, and is used a lot in sports. I had a friend who went to a smaller school for football and all they were allowed to use was Muscle Milk Collegiate. I know many large college programs use it.

http://www.cytosport.com/products/co...legiate-powder
Old 29 Jun 2012, 17:21 (Ref:3099924)   #2599
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Zurbert82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is americanlemansfans.com down?
Old 29 Jun 2012, 18:05 (Ref:3099935)   #2600
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbert82 View Post
Is americanlemansfans.com down?
Yes, have not been able to access it since this morning, either no access at all or an error message comes up.

And just as I say that, its back online...

Last edited by FordCosworthPanoz; 29 Jun 2012 at 18:10.