Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 10 Apr 2006, 17:45 (Ref:1577833)   #26
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pagani Zonda
Lister Storm
Mclaren F1
Aston Mart..... Oh wait! I drove them in Gran Turismo 4.....
Old 11 Apr 2006, 15:21 (Ref:1578618)   #27
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
As this is the Road Car Forum, I guess that excludes race cars.

I'm going to cheat a little. When the Panoz GTR-1 first came out in 1997, they had to homologate a road-going version and I was involved in that. Me and Andy Wallace, just to indulge in name dropping! Great guy, btw.

I drove it at the MIRA Proving Ground and mostly at Bruntingthorpe. The calibrated speedo was showing 200mph, but it felt more like 170mph, and it was so easy to hang the tail out because, unlike the race version, there was no rear wing. Trouble was, the road tyres couldn't really cope and had become slicks by the end of a day!
Old 11 Apr 2006, 15:42 (Ref:1578637)   #28
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Hey, I found some photos, sort of. This is a model of the the road car (I think there was only one!), although when I drove it the front end was slightly different and it was painted gold with silver wheels. Kinda cool, in a brutal American way. And oh, the noise!!!
Old 11 Apr 2006, 16:20 (Ref:1578666)   #29
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw a/the road version of the gtr1 at Le Mans in 1998, I think it had 'DPR 10' on the plate.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 17:40 (Ref:1578706)   #30
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
That's one of David Price's number plates so it sounds likely.

The car I drove was there in 1997. Panoz commissioned Haymarket to produce a book about the race and they took the gold car into the town for a photo shoot. I'm looking at the book now and there's a shot of the car with the number P269 GJO and a Gendarme writing out a parking ticket, but it was all set up for the camera. The locals were all over the car.

After I drove it they took out the 6-litre lump and put something smaller in, I think a 5.2 litre. I have an idea they also replaced the sequential shift with conventional dog-pattern one, so it was all tamed down a bit. I heard it had been re-sprayed and shipped to the States, so I think that is the one in the link.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 02:09 (Ref:1580000)   #31
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mg Mgb Gt V8

Hi Sheila,

I bought my new Glacier White MG MGB GT V8 in 1973 for £2500 approx ( which in today's values is about £20-25K !!) on the day of it's announcement in August that year.

I drove into London and people were stopping me in the street and asking me if that was the new V8 !!!

Having owned a '66 Mineral Blue and a '69 Tartan Red 1.8 litre BGT also from new, I was very smitten with these cars.

I also used to work in the Motor Trade circa 1968 and sold B's & C's for an MG Main Dealer.

The V8 was an awesome car and still is and one day I hope to buy her back as she is still in totally original condition.

I remember back in 1975 driving her from Blackpool to Thames Ditton, Surrey in 3 hours ( running time ). An average of 80mph.

It was in the early hours of the morning and the M6/M1 were almost empty.

Those were the days !!

For a short while I had a Costello V8 roadster. The sound of that lovely engine baubling away with the hood down was sheer ecstasy.

The MGR V8 is a lovely car too.

Yep my vote goes for Abingdon's wonderful sports cars.

Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
Best car I've ever driven was an ex-boss's wife's MGB GT V8. Superb little motor. when she sold it she gave me first option. I was really stupid back then in 1980 and said I couldn't afford it. Why on earth I didn't go to the Bank Manager (who was a friend of my boss and his wife) and just ask him for the money I don't know!

Mind you the Octavia is nice too!
Old 13 Apr 2006, 23:27 (Ref:1580877)   #32
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As the original poster mentioned bragging rights, the best car I've ever driven is a Ferrari 550 Maranello.

Unfortunately, I drove it all of about 20 yards from a carpark into a workshop.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 23:40 (Ref:1580887)   #33
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Better than most manage....
Old 19 Apr 2006, 01:33 (Ref:1588210)   #34
Mark Smith
Racer

United Kingdom
Chester
Mark Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best fun car I've driven is a Fiat Seicento (don't laugh!!) but not a standard one! Its got a punto 16 valve engine in it on hayabusa TB's and a bespoke ecu, built by Richard Beaty, aka Wolfdirectracing. It will out accelerate a ferrari and has a top speed around 150 mph.I drove it at cadwell park on the marshals track day last year, and it was truly awesome!
I have driven alsorts of cars including a Bentley Turbo R, Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Jaguar XJ6, Fiat Punto challenge race car, Seicento 600m, and have been driven around Oulton park in a metro 6R4, Hartge BMW 3 series, Ferrari 575 Maranello, GT3 Porsche, and round Brands indy in a Ferrari 355F1 on track days.
The most awesome ride has to be the GT3 Porsche at Oulton Park and giving it large with the Ferrari 355 on a damp track at brands with the test driver from radical sports cars at the wheel.I'd never been so fast sideways before!
Old 20 Apr 2006, 13:31 (Ref:1589718)   #35
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It does depend on what you mean by best. The best fun out of cars I've had would be my old Reliant Sabre 6GT which I drive in the early 70's and my Lotus Sunbeam through the late 80's early 90's, and more recently my E12 M535i. The best in terms of competency would have been the 944S2 that I had for a couple of years at the beginning of this decade. The one that has given me most fun and competency combined, you won't be surprised to learn, is my old M6!
Old 2 May 2006, 22:03 (Ref:1599723)   #36
Tim25
Rookie

Canada
Left Coast, Canada
Tim25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess the last customer car my partner and I built - 1955 Chevy "Salesman's Coupe" (factory two seater). Rebuilt from the ground up, new suspension, brakes, interior... but the truly fun part was the 502 c.i. supercharged Chevy crate motor. Dyno'd at just over 900 hp at the rear wheels, running thru a Richmond 6 speed! I was a little shaky after my first time running that car, but I got over it. Too bad the customer took delivery, I would love to have kept that car.
Old 16 May 2006, 19:36 (Ref:1611784)   #37
jeff7
Rookie

France
jeff7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me, the best car that I ever drove is without any doubt a Caterham.
Note that I'm French, but I'm very fond of British sports cars !
Light is right, is'nt it ?
For me it is THE CAR !
Thank you Mister Chapman.
Old 16 May 2006, 20:50 (Ref:1611861)   #38
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My Mitsubishi Evo 8 MR.

Suprising how quickly you get used to having your fillings rattled out!

Briefly drove a friends Lotus Carlton (big and scary) and R34 Skyline GTR.
Old 17 May 2006, 04:38 (Ref:1612056)   #39
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I haven't driven many different cars, and certainly nothing old, or fancy, or what not.

The best would be the Peugot 206 GTi (the one that was new about 2001).
Old 19 May 2006, 00:05 (Ref:1613876)   #40
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
interesting thread and good to hear about some older cars as well!

I've been spoiled for choice with cars (through my work) but one that really stands out was an Xtreme tuned EVO VIII MR XT350-S that had 390 lb/ft of torque and was just an amazing all round car, 0-100 in about 11 secs, incredible on the twisties or quite happy just going to the supermarket.

not quite a Panoz road car though...!
Old 21 May 2006, 15:00 (Ref:1615617)   #41
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lancer Evos are nice (I've driven two) but the new Impreza Sti is my fave. Those potenza semi-slicks are awesome, and the adjustable diff is nice too.

But maybe that's because I'm a p-plater (teenage driver).
Old 23 May 2006, 15:43 (Ref:1617205)   #42
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I've had a few nice course cars at race meetings in my time - two that stand out were a Dodge Viper and a Jaguar XJ8 from Racing Green that was twin turbo'd and reputedly produced 530 bhp I believe. Of my own cars I've got very fond memories of my Sierra Cosworth and I'm currently on my second Mazda MX6 (so I suppose I must like 'em!). Just remembering my Fiat Abarth 850TC which, in the late '60's was the first decent car I had but I think that's pure nostalgia kicking in.
Old 25 May 2006, 20:53 (Ref:1618991)   #43
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has to be my bog standard 16v Vauxhall Belmont (Astra Saloon)
Old 30 May 2006, 00:20 (Ref:1622513)   #44
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not sure what the best car I've driven is, but I've got to tell you - if you get a chance to try out a Lexus performance hybrid, do it.

The GS450h I drove just had instant torque. Because of the electric engine, all of the torque is available immediately and does not need to build up.

Put your foot down, and bam! If the headrest was not so perfectly comfortable, you would end up with a headache from your head constantly thumping into it.
Old 31 May 2006, 16:22 (Ref:1623947)   #45
jimmer
Racer

England
bath somerset
jimmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi RS4 Awsome Bit Of Kit!!
Old 2 Jun 2006, 01:20 (Ref:1625099)   #46
sib668
Rookie

England
teesside
sib668 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the 2 best cars i've driven would have to be my westfield megabusa. 0 to 60 in 3 seconds. handles like a dream. the other is a road legal tvr speed twelve. only moved it about 150 metres but it was awsome. the noise alone was amazing. had to be very careful cos the boss of tvr was watching me very carefully. only stalled it 4 times!!!!
Old 18 Mar 2008, 14:38 (Ref:2155650)   #47
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My 400bhp Chevy Engined TVR Chimeara
Old 18 Mar 2008, 15:54 (Ref:2155696)   #48
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R8. 355 Cup.430.Failed noise test at Donington!But best of all,Aston DB2,a drivers car!!!!
Old 18 Mar 2008, 18:50 (Ref:2155835)   #49
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
best car ive driven?, thats a toughie, friends peugeot 205 with a honda civic type-R engine and lots of other mods was hugely fast, really really fast through the corners and from a standing start it was very very fast, it would certainly trump many modern hot hatches and coupes.

vauxhall astra VXR put the biggest smile on my face though, just the way it felt to drive, its a real jekyll and hyde car, quiet and civilised and comfy, hit sport button, put it in second gear and boot it and the thing goes berserk, its a nutty car, just doesnt stop accelarating, the torque steer, turbo lag, growly woofly exhaust note and the way it felt gave the car a brutal charm, now that is a car with character.

but the most fun was in a new suzuki swift sport, its like a big go-kart, absolutely huge huge fun to drive, so chuckable and a huge amount of fun to drive.

probably the best though would be a mix of those 3 cars, and i wont be able to afford any of the above for about 5 years