Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jan 2003, 21:55 (Ref:474468)   #1
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Another course record for the Mac!

Its looking more and more like the Mac will be the car to challenge Ferrari next year. Coulthard did a 1’15"266 in a modified 2002 car at Montmelo. Gazzetta dello sport claims "a significant step" has been made with both the Michelins and the new bits on the car.

Here's hoping that this is not just the new Michelins...

The full list of times:

1. Coulthard (McLaren) 1’15"266 (61 giri); 2. Gené (Williams) 1’16"568 (69); 3. Heidfeld (Sauber) 1’16"668 (81); 4. Montoya (Wlliams) 1’16"828 (39); 5. Panis (Toyota) 1’17"066 (34); 6. Wurz (McLaren) 1’17"307 (48); 7. Frentzen (Sauber) 1’17"909 (68); 8. Da Matta (Toyota) 1’19"092 (38); 9. Beretta (Williams) 1'19"160 (53).

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 14 Jan 2003 at 21:57.
Old 14 Jan 2003, 22:19 (Ref:474496)   #2
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If only teasting times were a true measure of performance. Coulthard set a record last season while the car was a distant 3rd in the championship. The season needs to hurry up and get here.
Old 14 Jan 2003, 22:33 (Ref:474508)   #3
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
True enough... But its a good indication that it was done with the old car...
Old 15 Jan 2003, 00:11 (Ref:474608)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Unfortunately IM I tend to agree with JonesF1.

If you look at where the Sauber lies relative to the Macs (then the Williams) it becomes obvious the latter was running heavy compared to the other 2.

That said, I do expect the gap to Ferrari to be significantly smaller in 2003.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 00:28 (Ref:474619)   #5
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
yeah yeah its only testing, and they could have been running light... but... its a course record.. presumedly, teams have run light there before.

My worry is that its the michelins.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 00:42 (Ref:474635)   #6
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Why does that worry you? I hope it is the Michelins, that way Williams and McLaren will give the boys in red a hard time.

Could you think of anything better to change the popularity of F1 than 3 or 4 drivers from 3 teams battling for the championship? That would be sensational
Old 15 Jan 2003, 00:56 (Ref:474640)   #7
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I refuse to make any judgements from testing
Anyone remember Prost breaking the lap record at Barcelona a few years ago and then predicting a 'top five finish' in the Constructors Cup, before finishing tenth or something...
Old 15 Jan 2003, 00:58 (Ref:474642)   #8
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
It worries me that its *only* the Michelins, and not any fancy bits on the car. I would expect that both the tyre manufacturers would make a step each year (they did last year) -I'm sure Bridgestone has done similar things. Steps made on the car are not such a given.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 04:31 (Ref:474746)   #9
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Unfortunately IM I tend to agree with JonesF1.
You must be a man of great logic and understanding.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 14:42 (Ref:475065)   #10
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Either that, or he is drunk... J/K Jonesy...
Old 15 Jan 2003, 15:15 (Ref:475088)   #11
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
JonesF1, I think your typo is prophetice! These times should be considered "Teasing" times. Without detail as to who was testing what variant they are (imho) relatively meaningless.

A more telling number would be times at a track that they raced at last season, but I am sure no one wants to show all of their cards as of yet.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 23:04 (Ref:475722)   #12
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Yes IM, *hiccup* yes Iam
Old 16 Jan 2003, 00:18 (Ref:475774)   #13
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Ahhh haaa- I knew it
Old 20 Jan 2003, 10:31 (Ref:479794)   #14
cmgoodman
Rookie

cmgoodman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder whether any of the teams will try testing with the new rules in place before Australia? It would seem that testing without TC will be quite useful for the younger drivers. Just remember how tough Michael Andretti had when he just flew the Concorde in for races, and did not do a full testing programme.
Old 20 Jan 2003, 11:03 (Ref:479820)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by cmgoodman
I wonder whether any of the teams will try testing with the new rules in place before Australia? It would seem that testing without TC will be quite useful for the younger drivers.
Although TC is to be banned, don't the teams have the facility to switch it off at the moment? If they have, then i'm sure that the drivers will be testing without TC.
Old 23 Jan 2003, 23:52 (Ref:484023)   #16
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Well, it took Schumi 2 days to break this record. He did a 1'15"020 today....
Old 29 Jan 2003, 20:39 (Ref:489849)   #17
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
And today Wurtz was the fastest, followed by Schumi. If only I truly believed it would be like this at Australia...
Old 29 Jan 2003, 21:06 (Ref:489871)   #18
CleanTone
Racer

Romania
Colentina
CleanTone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is a Beretta?
Old 29 Jan 2003, 21:13 (Ref:489880)   #19
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Huh, a type of gun, I think? But what does this have to do with testing times?

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 29 Jan 2003 at 21:15.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 22:24 (Ref:489940)   #20
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Another course record for the Mac!

Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
Huh, a type of gun, I think? But what does this have to do with testing times?
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
9. Beretta (Williams) 1'19"160 (53).
That's the reason i think.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 29 Jan 2003 at 22:25.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 22:35 (Ref:489957)   #21
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
ahhh, didn't even notice that.... Test driver Olivier Beretta
Old 30 Jan 2003, 01:32 (Ref:490095)   #22
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some old guy they wheeled out of the dead racing drivers cupboard to cover for Ralf-sore-back-I-tell-you-Schumacher.