Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 15 Jun 2014, 21:58 (Ref:3422303)   #1
AlBoddy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Basingstoke
AlBoddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Registering with clubs

Hi all I'm registered with the barc can I also register with msvr or can I only register with 1 club
Old 15 Jun 2014, 22:03 (Ref:3422305)   #2
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Many as you want, but consider why?

(Distinguish between "registering" with and joining.)

Regards

Jim
Old 15 Jun 2014, 22:29 (Ref:3422315)   #3
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or, is that registering for the purpose of grading or volunteering for meetings?
Old 16 Jun 2014, 05:33 (Ref:3422382)   #4
AlBoddy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Basingstoke
AlBoddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going to be possibly for both grading and volunteering
Old 16 Jun 2014, 06:54 (Ref:3422399)   #5
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My personal advice would be to do a couple of meetings and chat to other marshals before choosing a club to join so that your MSA grading scheme application can be processed by them.

(As a wholly personal recommendation, Join the BMMC - The Marshals Club. The only one which exists only for marshals and their interests. But most of the major promoting clubs have marshals' registers and pay attention to their needs. BARC, BRSCC, Silverstone, 750MC, VSCC and many others all do. But they all cost more than the BMMC (I think).)

Regards

Jim
Old 16 Jun 2014, 08:17 (Ref:3422428)   #6
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can volunteer for just about any meetings you choose as a member of any club or no club at all e.g. see "**** Volunteering 2014 ****" sticky at top of page. Organisers are generally keen to get volunteers and not all that fussy about where they come from . You don't even need to be MSA registered to start.

If you want to go through the MSA grading scheme you do need to be a member of at least one club and to choose the club which manages your grading and registration with the MSA. But any one of BMMC (the right one IMO ), BARC, BRSCC, 750MC or several others will do.

Steve
Old 16 Jun 2014, 15:07 (Ref:3422631)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
I think we need to clarify what you mean by "registered".

To go through the grading scheme you need to be registered with the MSA. The application from for that requires a club endorsement. The club which endorses your application will be listed on your MSA card as your primary club & will be the club through which any upgrades must be processed.

You don't necessarily have to a member of any club; however, unless you have already joined BARC I'll join several others in recommending BMMC! You can join as many clubs as you like, but it's something of a waste of money as it won't affect which meetings you can marshal at. BMMC is the only club which exists to serve the interests of marshals & offers a number of benefits which others may not offer.
Old 22 Jun 2014, 08:05 (Ref:3424841)   #8
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I joined the BRSCC in my early days but then realised that I only needed to be a member of what is now BMMC (BMRMC in those days). Each to their own and up to you.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 08:00 (Ref:3425245)   #9
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst it's neither critical nor crucial you join any club, as stated before there are advantages especially if you wish to go through the MSA gratings, it is worth considering joining the one which runs your local/nearest circuit, or which organises a particular or specific race series you intend to follow. The BMMC is the marshals club though.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 12:44 (Ref:3425384)   #10
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive View Post
Whilst it's neither critical nor crucial you join any club, as stated before there are advantages especially if you wish to go through the MSA gratings, it is worth considering joining the one which runs your local/nearest circuit, or which organises a particular or specific race series you intend to follow. The BMMC is the marshals club though.
MSA gratings ?

Is that what you get put through if you don't 'make the MSA grade', or have I been watching too much 'Game of Thrones'......
Old 23 Jun 2014, 14:12 (Ref:3425420)   #11
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it can be painful process sometimes............
Old 26 Jun 2014, 08:15 (Ref:3426644)   #12
McSatan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Stones Throw from Brands
McSatan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive View Post
Well it can be painful process sometimes............
Especially if you have the misfortune to have your flag assessment day when the 'Fun' Cup is on....
Old 26 Jun 2014, 08:38 (Ref:3426652)   #13
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSatan View Post
Especially if you have the misfortune to have your flag assessment day when the 'Fun' Cup is on....
At that meeting there were still cars on the lead lap and a real battle for the podium positions after 3.5 hours of racing. .... That's better than some 20 minute races.

As for flagging for it - well that's long format racing and just another aspect of learning to flag.

Race content / timetable for the meeting published several weeks in advance.

I would complain to the person who made you go to that meeting then .... Oh hang on, that would be yourself.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 09:22 (Ref:3426670)   #14
McSatan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Stones Throw from Brands
Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post
At that meeting there were still cars on the lead lap and a real battle for the podium positions after 3.5 hours of racing. .... That's better than some 20 minute races.

As for flagging for it - well that's long format racing and just another aspect of learning to flag.

Race content / timetable for the meeting published several weeks in advance.

I would complain to the person who made you go to that meeting then .... Oh hang on, that would be yourself.
I didn't know what the Fun Cup was! And this was a couple of years ago, they settled into a nice easy rhythm early on, and stayed that way. All six of them.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 12:32 (Ref:3426752)   #15
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSatan View Post
I didn't know what the Fun Cup was! And this was a couple of years ago, they settled into a nice easy rhythm early on, and stayed that way. All six of them.
I'm not sure the Fun Cup has ever had a grid that small
Old 26 Jun 2014, 13:37 (Ref:3426780)   #16
McSatan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Stones Throw from Brands
Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post
I'm not sure the Fun Cup has ever had a grid that small
I may have exaggerated slightly for comic effect