Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 29 Mar 2007, 18:04 (Ref:1879346)   #1
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A1GP Canadian Race

Article in the Globe & Mail today regarding holding an A1GP race in Canada.

Among the hurdles mentioned, I like this bit the best: "the possibilities for a Canadian race are limited since the "nation versus nation" series runs from October to April." What, that's a problem?

If the series does carry on though, flying everything out here and back for only one race certainly won't.
Old 29 Mar 2007, 19:10 (Ref:1879390)   #2
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They don't have snow tires. First safe dates for St Jovite or Mosport would be late May. Latest safe fall date would be mid Sept.
Sure it can be beautiful both earlier and later but! Sept tends to be rainy and I have seen heavy frost and snow in both Sept. and May.
No other tracks are suitable and anyway the weather is no better.
Mind you I would low to see them.
Crowd in Mex. seemed pretty sparse.
Old 30 Mar 2007, 04:12 (Ref:1879635)   #3
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well they had a...no wait...kind of a race in Beijing in November in freezing temperatures and that was a great success...
Old 30 Mar 2007, 09:10 (Ref:1879721)   #4
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Vancouver? I was very surprised when the Champ Car race fell off the schedule. Sept/Oct and April/May are very mild in Vancouver although could be quite wet. There are loads of places other than the Concorde Pacific site that could host the event. UBC comes to mind, and I can think of several other potential sites.
Old 30 Mar 2007, 11:20 (Ref:1879813)   #5
Francis Albert
Racer

Francis Albert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Well they had a...no wait...kind of a race in Beijing in November in freezing temperatures and that was a great success...
Yeah, it's apparently been cancelled for next year. There was an article on Pitpass, last week I think, but I can't find it.
Old 30 Mar 2007, 12:04 (Ref:1879826)   #6
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Rocket
What about Vancouver? I was very surprised when the Champ Car race fell off the schedule. Sept/Oct and April/May are very mild in Vancouver although could be quite wet. There are loads of places other than the Concorde Pacific site that could host the event. UBC comes to mind, and I can think of several other potential sites.
Sure Robert, a street race in Vancouver in April, or October even, is not out of the question. But staging an A1GP race in Canada must have plenty of other problems to overcome besides the weather. I can't imagine staging an A1GP event here would make any sort of sense on paper at this point. As Leighton pointed-out, the crowd in Mexico looked a little sparse, and while it was a great weekend on track, I wonder how the promoters were feeling about it on Monday.
Old 30 Mar 2007, 23:43 (Ref:1880206)   #7
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff
Sure Robert, a street race in Vancouver in April, or October even, is not out of the question. But staging an A1GP race in Canada must have plenty of other problems to overcome besides the weather. I can't imagine staging an A1GP event here would make any sort of sense on paper at this point. As Leighton pointed-out, the crowd in Mexico looked a little sparse, and while it was a great weekend on track, I wonder how the promoters were feeling about it on Monday.
Never had any attendance problems for Vancouver Molson Indy? Crowds were huge every year.
Old 31 Mar 2007, 01:31 (Ref:1880238)   #8
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
That's hardly apples and apples Robert. As a quick example, at the moment, the television rights to an AIGP broadcast here appear to be worth so very little they tape-delay it a few Wednesday afternoon's following the race.

But hey, I'm probably way off. You should ask Molson's.