Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 May 2001, 17:44 (Ref:97912)   #1
drexel
Racer

drexel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tgf?

I'm new to this forum and i sadly i have no idea what TGF stands for. I can only assume it is something like 'The GodFather', since the man is IMO the most skillful driver to grace this planet.
Old 28 May 2001, 17:48 (Ref:97915)   #2
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Welcome to our friendly forum.

TGF stands for "That German fellow" it is easier than typing Michael Schumacher
Old 28 May 2001, 17:51 (Ref:97916)   #3
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh God not another of Schumachers deciples!! Have fun here .

Last edited by Damon; 28 May 2001 at 17:51.
Old 28 May 2001, 17:55 (Ref:97921)   #4
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"The German Ferrari".
Old 28 May 2001, 17:58 (Ref:97922)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AMoffat uses the letters "TGW." This is a somewhat less polite term for the same person.
Old 28 May 2001, 18:02 (Ref:97924)   #6
drexel
Racer

Thanks everyone. Yes i am a Shumacher disciple. Interestingly enough, i don't think theres too many ppl out there who would claim to be a "disciple" of any other driver. That alone says something about the appeal of the man.
Old 28 May 2001, 18:43 (Ref:97940)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, not of the modern group of pilots weak in both skills and personal appeal, no. And there are more people here who don't care for TGF than that do. (Don't let that discourage you, though.)

However, there are plenty of "disciples" of Senna and Prost still out here, not to mention Mario, Gilles, Nelson and even Our Nige.
Old 28 May 2001, 19:55 (Ref:97970)   #8
drexel
Racer

Hmmm, not sure how you came to the conclusion that current drivers are weak on skills. IMO, MS is just a class above. IYO, the other drivers are weak therefore making him look better than he is.

Yes, there maybe more TGF foes on this forum then friends. But theres no doubt his name is the one most mentioned.
I'd also say there are reasons for him having more detractors here than not. Without doing any research, id assume that there are more MS fans out in the real world (not just the internet), then there are haters.
Old 28 May 2001, 20:03 (Ref:97979)   #9
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
However, there are plenty of "disciples" of Senna and Prost still out here, not to mention Mario, Gilles, Nelson and even Our Nige.
And the Ralfisti contingent of myself and Ralfanator. And Moffat, if he ever admits to it.

Welcome to the boards, Drexel.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 28 May 2001, 20:11 (Ref:97984)   #10
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by drexel
...theres no doubt his name is the one most mentioned.
Montoya only has months here, and he is mentioned a lot too...
Old 28 May 2001, 20:51 (Ref:98007)   #11
Liz
Veteran

That is true - but I don't think anyone here really hates TGF. We just find him officious and rather difficult.

Someone once said he hated Rubens, but I think he was just frustrated with him.

I should qualify my opinion of today's grid by stating that I meant to add to that remark "in comparison to the 1979 Long Beach Grid", which is my benchmark for rating grids.
Old 28 May 2001, 21:14 (Ref:98023)   #12
francis
Rookie

francis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a rookie too - I think this is my tenth or eleventh post - though I am not a rookie in terms of F1 experience. Ferrari has always been my "Passione". But Nige and Damon have superceded that in their time. When MS first went to Gferrari I had a majot problem and for two years I never bought an MS badged ferrari model (I'm a big collector) and all my models from that time are Eddie's. However I have warmed and am now a bif MS fan. I am happy to use TGF as every time I type it I thinkl "The Great Ferraristi". If pushed I can even think TGW stands for "The Great Winner". SO THERE :-)
Old 28 May 2001, 21:37 (Ref:98038)   #13
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welcome Francis and drexel. "TGF" was coined two years ago during Schumacher's enforced absence referring to "That German Fellow" who waited in the wings to upset the title race between Irvine and Hakkinen. Liz was the first to use the term and the first to abbreviate it. Some who come here consider it a bit of an insult, for others, its just easier to type than "Schumacher". I always thought it had overtones of being like"He whose name shall not be spoken", for though I am NOT a fan, I acknowledge his superiotity over the present field. Unlike Liz, I think the 1973 grid was the best.

Liz is correct in stating that there are many here who are not fans of TGF, but many are, and I am deeply commited to the principle that all discussions on the subject remain civil and that the "Is he Great,Does he suck eggs" threads are among the most tedious.
Old 28 May 2001, 22:07 (Ref:98063)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Correct.

And by becoming a member you are invited to sign our letter that will be headed to TGF personally, asking him to adopt this initials in his cap and any advert that is related to him. Also the brand will be copyrighted by 10 Tenths, and all royalties will be reverted to a foundation created to help elder drivers and frustated title challengers.

TGF® (trademark)

Just kidding drexel TGF fan !

Welcome !
Old 28 May 2001, 22:17 (Ref:98066)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
A big welcome to Drexel and another one to francis, just in case you missed the last one francis. Welcome to our friendly, abuse and insult free forum. PLease stay and post lots of posts because when you post 1000 posts, you qualify to entre the lucky draw for a Ferrari - the draw will be made when everyone reaches 1000 posts.
BTW, I use TGF because there is another MS in F1 - Mika Salo. Maybe we should call Mika Salo Mika Jr, seeing that MIka H is the superior driver. Now I have started another argument, havn't I
Old 28 May 2001, 23:15 (Ref:98083)   #16
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
welcome drexel. when I first arrived, I thought it stood for "tres grand fromage", or loosely translated as "the big cheese". I have a lot of respect for the man, he is obviously CURRENTLY the best out there, but I think a lot of us feel he has gotten his championships by dint of Ferrari strategy coupled with his skill, as opposed to doing it alone. The quality of the competition is a factor too, but it helps when you drive a 250 million dollar car!
I don't mean to downplay Michael's tremendous skills, but his support system is the best there is. What if he'd been driving a Minardi for the past 5 years? (no disrespect to them )
Old 28 May 2001, 23:43 (Ref:98086)   #17
francis
Rookie

francis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm no aplogist for TGF - but that Benetton he drove was not exactly the greatest. Not taking anything from Damon - I'll have nothing said against him - he did after all show JV where to go - but TGF did beat him fair and sqare (yes I know TGF did "cheat" in Australia but there were some fairly dodgy FIA decisions earlier that season). I wouldn't have said that at the time but in retrospect!!

TGF is still the best of the current crop - and if you could get the various team owners to talk straight for one moment - I've no doubt they would endorse that. Not that the others drivers are slouches - the competition is fierce.

Awaiting the flames <g>
Old 29 May 2001, 03:25 (Ref:98147)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
IMHO..I believe that Michael Schumacher is currently the best F1 driver on the planet...the others are no slouches either
Old 29 May 2001, 04:27 (Ref:98159)   #19
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael Schumacher is a God. Therefore he is the best!!
Old 29 May 2001, 05:55 (Ref:98170)   #20
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi drexel!
I love the "godfather" thingy!!real cool!

psssst, being a 'disciple' or whatever of Michael myself, i advise you to NOTICE how "loyal" the anti-schu people become with the DCs the Prosts, the Hills, the Mansells the more and more Schumacher wins!!....its a HUGE sour grapes kinda thing but its ok!

Michael on this forum has been accused of anything and evrything and thats whats fun about this place...

btw, Monaco'01 was sweet poetic justice for Monaco'00...dont u think?
Old 29 May 2001, 06:20 (Ref:98173)   #21
drexel
Racer

I agree Downforce. The greater he becomes, the more resentment there is. But that is cool because thats what makes it worthwhile dicussing.

I also notice that Montoya gets a lot more respect, relatively, compared to TGF in this forum. I think he's shown to be more arrogant in a few months than Michael was. He in fact criticised every other racer out there, saying they were scared of Michael where he is not.
I wonder if people are more forgiving because he races for Williams.

ps. I know he is a rookie, but wasn't he a test driver for Williams before. I believe that part of the job was to 'drive' an f1 car in order to gain experience.
Old 29 May 2001, 06:35 (Ref:98181)   #22
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya?

tsk tsk!..poor dude..thinks the only way to the top is to make headlines about the headline maker!

Seriously, his remarks about Schumacher are really only to make the media notice him..sad i say.

his move on Trulli at imola was awesome...wish he wud shut up and race!
Old 29 May 2001, 06:53 (Ref:98190)   #23
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TGW

Of cause welcome welcome.

TGW stands for the German driver who takes matters into his own hands. At every opportunity I might add. Which is actually a plus, as due to failing sight he probably only has one season left in him.

Moffat
Old 29 May 2001, 07:14 (Ref:98201)   #24
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
welcome drex......
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. The different opinions voiced here are very interesting.
quote:

TGW stands for the German driver who takes matters into his own hands. At every opportunity I might add.

Moffatt, you are right on the ball!!
Old 29 May 2001, 07:34 (Ref:98208)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by AlanJones

TGW stands for the German driver who takes matters into his own hands. At every opportunity I might add.

Moffatt, you are right on the ball!!
But surely that's TGDWTMIOH. Bit long winded if you ask me.

I think that lovely Liz has it just right.

(Moff. The sycophnatic creep censor still ain't working).