Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Apr 2002, 10:18 (Ref:248790)   #1
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Mclaren win any races in 2002?

Judging by their performance so far, it looks doubtfull....
Old 1 Apr 2002, 10:20 (Ref:248791)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IMO once the F1 circus is back in Europe (which begins the next round) McLaren should improve. But I'm not expecting any victories before halfway through the season.

I'm amazed at the performance gap between Williams/Ferrari and McLaren, and how close the Renaults are to the McLarens. I think RD should be more worried about losing 3rd overall than holding onto second in the WCC.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 10:21 (Ref:248795)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I think that they need a lot more work on their cars, but I wouldn't write off McLaren to the extent of not winning any races.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 10:53 (Ref:248820)   #4
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i remember after the first race in 1998, everyone thought we were going to have a mclaren whitewash like 1988.obviously that didnt happen
too early to write them off
Old 1 Apr 2002, 10:56 (Ref:248823)   #5
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mclaren have put together a very able car and I beleive it is at least on par with The Williams, But the engine is another matter. The new Benz is rubbish.

I'm guessing 2 victories this year maybe 3, but no more.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 10:57 (Ref:248825)   #6
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I can't see them winning either championship, but I think they'll win two or three races. They'll improve over the season (their reliability is often an issue at the beginning of the year), and at some point they'll probably take advantage of bad luck for Ferrari and Williams. That will be a big factor because Ferrari and Williams are obviously emerging as the main competitors for the title.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 1 Apr 2002, 11:43 (Ref:248864)   #7
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For McLaren to take a victory this year will require some serious bad luck overtaking both Ferrari and Williams. At least three of their four drivers will have to suffer some kind of difficulty for McL to win through, and, even then, Rubens might be able to fend them off. I think both Ferrari and Williams have improved from last year while McLs have slipped. Then along comes Renault who have probably improved more than any team. Maximum of one victory this year for McLaren. Take it to the bank.

Old 1 Apr 2002, 11:45 (Ref:248868)   #8
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once they sort out their engines they will be do ok. I think they will win two races and will go out on the ledge, Spa and Japan.

I actually feel a bit sorry for Coultard at the moment, It was ment to be his time in the sun but he has been cast back into the shadows.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 12:45 (Ref:248915)   #9
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its the lump in the back. On a track on which power is mitigated such as Monaco, or in a wet race, they might have a chance. Of course, the Michelins will wreck their chances in a wet/dry race-It looks like a Blue and red season.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 12:52 (Ref:248923)   #10
NOX
Rookie

NOX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes McLaren will win races this year. But, it will involve both Ferrari and Williams failing to find set-ups early enough in the same race weekend.

Either that or it will take TGF, TCF, Ralf and Rubens trying to go four abreast into St Devote to give DC a win.

Seriously though, the problem is Ilmor. Half of the driving force of the team was tragically lost last year. It always takes time to bounce back from something like that. They will work hard to make up the gap, but neither Ferrari or BMW especially will hang around and wait for them.
Old 1 Apr 2002, 13:17 (Ref:248946)   #11
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, DC summed it up today 'we're not quite there yet...' - sounds like there is still a way to go. Obviously, I am sure we all agree David's title hopes are gone already, but I see no reason why McLaren won't win, especially at their better tracks eg. Spain.