Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

View Poll Results: Should Standing starts be introduced to CART?
Yes, definantly! 1 5.00%
No way! 11 55.00%
Yes, only on street/road courses 8 40.00%
I don't know 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 Mar 2001, 04:49 (Ref:72163)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alright, who thinks Standing starts should be introduced to CART street races, to replace rolling starts?

I just think it would add to the excitement. Do you all agree, or am I talking rubbish?
Old 18 Mar 2001, 05:27 (Ref:72171)   #2
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No. Taking the green at full speed is cart's heritage, it has never done standing starts, and as exicting as they are, should not implement them. Rolling starts are as just as fun, especially when the leader plays mind games with the rest of the field, or vice versa.
Old 18 Mar 2001, 09:19 (Ref:72188)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
absolutely not.
don't know why.
just no!
Old 18 Mar 2001, 16:35 (Ref:72369)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Standing starts? Provide another opportunity for Servia, Tracy and Mikey to smash into each other before they even get off the grid?

Rolling starts rule. Don't even think about a change.
Old 18 Mar 2001, 17:33 (Ref:72406)   #5
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree. Although I'm all for standing starts in F1, I'm also all for rolling starts in CART. History and heritage must count here. Besides, it's good to have some diversity.
Old 19 Mar 2001, 06:39 (Ref:72637)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alright, guess I am wrong! Now I think about it - I don't really mind rolling starts. Also, it distinguishes (spelling?) CART from F1.
Old 19 Mar 2001, 09:52 (Ref:72653)   #7
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Umm - Liz said this -

"Standing starts? Provide another opportunity for Servia, Tracy and Mikey to smash into each other before they even get off the grid?"

Liz, another apportunity for a member to single out some happless soul (or in this case three happless souls) and rubish them in public. If you do this sort of thing people will think you are bitter and twisted. Not me though, your comments remind me of TGW.v2. Ralf Shytemaker. Mr accident waitng to happen.

If that boy keeps it up I'll sign him for Team Agression Maximisation.
Old 20 Mar 2001, 02:21 (Ref:72938)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes !!!!

The rolling start is the only problem with Cart. There is not nearly the excitement for a rolling start as their is for a standing start. History has proven that they are both equally dangerous, although some driver prefer one over the other. It provides an element of suspense that is missing from Cart. Let's face it, the best part of an F1 race is the start, after that it is all down hill. IMO, the excitement created as the lights turn red is unequalled by any moment in any other series. Why not add this element to Cart?
Old 20 Mar 2001, 08:25 (Ref:72963)   #9
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jay,

I disagree that history has shown them both to be equally dangerous. The problem (or danger) is the differential in speed, with all the cars moving this is not such an issue. If a car near the front of the grid stalls, by the time a back maker has come up to it they are really moving. Too many start line shunts have happened because of this IMO.
Old 20 Mar 2001, 11:17 (Ref:72986)   #10
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Leave the standing starts to F1.
Old 20 Mar 2001, 12:38 (Ref:72998)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone ever been killed during a rolling start? I don't remember that they ever have been. Several people have been killed and seriously injured because of what Muffy, er, Moffatt said - the difference in speed and salling on the grid. Including at least one mechanic that was hit by the teammate of the man who stalled on the grid.

And think of poor Fisi - he would have been saved enormous embarrassment and a permanent place on all blooper reels of the 2001 season and beyond, if only XF-1 had rolling starts.

Bitter and twisted? Moi? Nonsense. None of those guys are on MY team, after all!
Old 20 Mar 2001, 13:30 (Ref:73016)   #12
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes and no. Yes it should be standing starts at tracks like road america and laguna seca, but no on the ovals, I can´t picture myself all that pack of cars trying to overtake the others in a standing start, no fun at all.
Old 20 Mar 2001, 18:44 (Ref:73075)   #13
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AMoffat, I understand the reasoning that a standing start is more dangerous than a rolling start. However, since I have started following racing (1995), I have noticed just as many crashes on rolling starts as on standing starts. Nobody has been injured in a standing start (in F1) since then, however people have been injured in rolling starts (in Cart/Indy cars) since then. The last person to be killed in a standing start was Ricardo Palletti, nearly 20 years ago!

PS of course you would never have standing starts on the ovals. It is impractical to cars start from a standstill on a banking.
Old 24 Mar 2001, 06:06 (Ref:74092)   #14
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that Cart should stick with rolling starts. It's not just about heritage or diversity, but also about identity. Rolling starts are part of Carts identity. If they use standing starts then they are jusy copying F1. There needs to be things that set Cart apart from Formula 1.

That said, however, maybe Cart should host a non-championship race where they use standing starts, just to see what it's like.