Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 7 Feb 2008, 17:02 (Ref:2123360)   #1
Andy Johns
Racer

England
Salisbury
Andy Johns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thruxton circuit changes

Driven around Thruxton today and there are some significant changes. Firstly, there is an armco barrier running parallel to the track, about 20 feet from the tarmac, all the way from post 9 to post 10. This is in the process of being extended, at the foot of the bank, between posts 10 & 11. Looks to me that if anybody loses it coming out of Noble, they will glance off the armco back onto the track rather than bury themselves into post 10 as they used to. Interesting!
Secondly, the barrier on the driver's right between the chicane exit and the pit entrance has been moved back so you can see the pit entrance earlier, and drive into it quicker - good thing?
Old 7 Feb 2008, 17:45 (Ref:2123396)   #2
BSA Susie
Racer

United Kingdom
Southampton
BSA Susie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ohh, glad to hear someone has put their hand into their pocket at BARC but the changes sound....erm....interesting.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 19:03 (Ref:2123430)   #3
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was with Andy on the visit today. Yellow flagging from Post 9 could get interesting, as the armco seems to cut track surface view. However from post 10 it looks good. Shame the gap there is not wide enough to get a car through to a safe haven, but believe that is probably due to track licence requirements.

Just wait till next year, with proposals for what should be a interesting spectator and terraced hospitality banking stretching from the chicane back down Woodham hill to post 18.

Will make the place look just like Road Atlanta
Old 8 Feb 2008, 00:20 (Ref:2123705)   #4
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't comment on Thruxton a great deal, other than it was "one of" my late Dad's favourite circuits (you might say weren't they all, but Thruxton truely was).

I did my ARDS at Thruxton, as I knew if it would either scare the crap out of me (and then I wouldn't want to go racing) or I'd love it to bits and luckily it was the latter, brilliant.

I raced there last year and unfortunatley my car was crap (I knew it would be and that sounds like such an excuse!!) but it was great to be there and for those marshals old enough to remember, I have a middle name after John Wingfield and to think it was 31 years since he passed away there and I know the effect it had on my Dad was emotional and I'd love to drive a "proper" car round Thruxton in John's memory.

Last edited by GBRM; 8 Feb 2008 at 00:23.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 09:08 (Ref:2123886)   #5
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Johns
Secondly, the barrier on the driver's right between the chicane exit and the pit entrance has been moved back so you can see the pit entrance earlier, and drive into it quicker - good thing?
I operate the entry siren from down there (and have for the past 6 years), and have seen many drivers fail to see the pit entrance with the barrier in its previous location (even the trucks with their high cab position have had difficulty).

The other consequence is that the slower cars have also therefore had to stay on the driving line out of the chicance for longer, blocking faster cars. Several faster cars have hit the barriers on post 22 opposite while taking avoidance action due to the speed difference.

The policing of the speed limit within pitlane itself will have to be addressed, but overall I would say this change is a positive one.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 10:10 (Ref:2123932)   #6
theracegypsy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tarrant
I operate the entry siren from down there .............edited bob.....

The policing of the speed limit within pitlane itself will have to be addressed, but overall I would say this change is a positive one.
Steve, The speed limit line has not been moved, so they will either have to brake harder or earlier. We will see how it works out with the school cars this weekend, though my first Thruxton race event is not till BTTC in May due to my Champ Car commitments.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 11:22 (Ref:2123979)   #7
Norbert
Racer

England
Norbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[quote=Andy Johns]Looks to me that if anybody loses it coming out of Noble, they will glance off the armco back onto the track rather than bury themselves into post 10 as they used to. Interesting!quote]

Andy,

Is there trye wall along that stretch(so they bounce back into the track) or left as armco (so that they can skim down it without rebounding back as much)?
Old 8 Feb 2008, 17:01 (Ref:2124240)   #8
gwar
Racer

gwar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by theracegypsy
Steve, The speed limit line has not been moved, so they will either have to brake harder or earlier. We will see how it works out with the school cars this weekend, though my first Thruxton race event is not till BTTC in May due to my Champ Car commitments.
And if you miss it all together, and carry on down the start finish straight like shakey byrne did a couple of years ago past a few red flags you get your qualifing laps disqualified......he wont do that again in a hurry.......doh.

By the sounds of the alterations discussed the actual road/ lap lenth hasnt been altered, so all lap records ect....... can still be compared with previous years.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 17:52 (Ref:2124276)   #9
theracegypsy
Veteran

[QUOTE=Norbert]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Johns
Looks to me that if anybody loses it coming out of Noble, they will glance off the armco back onto the track rather than bury themselves into post 10 as they used to. Interesting!quote]

Andy,

Is there trye wall along that stretch(so they bounce back into the track) or left as armco (so that they can skim down it without rebounding back as much)?
Mainly plain armco, with tyres in front of post 10. But be aware we were there before work was finished, so there may be more going up than we saw.