Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Jul 2008, 04:24 (Ref:2255613)   #1
thebushman
Rookie

thebushman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8 "Superstars" too busy for fans

Which current V8 Superstar was approached by a young fan at a recent Eastern Creek event, politely asking for an autograph only to be told "Too ****ing busy"!!!

Poor lad was crushed.

Obviously autographs are given out during organized sessions when the driver is paid to be there - Very poor form indeed.

Last edited by Woolley; 25 Jul 2008 at 12:39.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 04:32 (Ref:2255616)   #2
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do you want us to guess? Is there a prize?
Old 22 Jul 2008, 04:45 (Ref:2255618)   #3
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Name? It would've been better if he had've been polite about it.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 05:03 (Ref:2255621)   #4
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It's happened to me a few times. These guys do get very busy so I understand. I have seen a current driver/past champion swear in front of kids before and I find that unacceptable.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 05:11 (Ref:2255624)   #5
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Drivers that you could cross off the "low act" list, Whincup,'' Frosty "
J Richards, Jnr Johnson, Davison and McConville.
Cant ever see any of these guys doing something like that.
Should i have put Lowndes on that list ??
Old 22 Jul 2008, 05:19 (Ref:2255629)   #6
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not the first time a "V8 Superstar" has done it. Story has been floating around for couple of years that a previous two time champion did the same thing at an airport. In one way, I don't blame him, as it is away from the track and in what you would call 'personal time'. But to talk like that and treat the people who buy the tickets to the races, the merchandise and the rest of whole shooting match is not on. If he was to pull the same thing now, he would be quickly out of a job and on his way home.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 05:37 (Ref:2255634)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebushman
Which current V8 Superstar was approached by a young fan at a recent Eastern Creek event, politely asking for an autograph only to be told "Too f*#king busy"!!!

Poor lad was crushed.

Obviously autographs are given out during organized sessions when the driver is paid to be there - Very poor form indeed.
Do you mean the Shannons Nationals event at Eastern Creek the other week?

If so what V8 drivers were there (other than the one who owns a team which competed there)?
Old 22 Jul 2008, 05:40 (Ref:2255637)   #8
aussieracer
Racer

Australia
australia
aussieracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one thing drivers need to remember, without fans, there would be no v8 supercars, there for, less job oppertunities for them. the fans are the customers and arnt the customers always right?? (in most cases) im sure this issue is a world wide thing and not just here in aus.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 05:47 (Ref:2255641)   #9
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i met Murph at EC at the HSV signing session and in the pits and he was heaps accomidating on both occasions.

you all know the storey of McConville and us at Bathurst and how friendly he was even though his car just crapped itself.

the only one i've found a little stuck up at times is Rick but i couldn't imagine him doing that.

i have heard storeys about Murph to the opposite of my experience so maybe it was him andi have also heard bad about Skaife but havn't had trouble meeting him he was great so also could of been him.

we understand they are busy and would be okay with them saying no if they were polite about it and most are i have never been told no but have been told to wait a couple minutes and they came back. swearing infront of kids is unacceptable.

can we get a name.

Last edited by Pro Racer; 22 Jul 2008 at 05:50.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 05:57 (Ref:2255646)   #10
thebushman
Rookie

thebushman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Do you mean the Shannons Nationals event at Eastern Creek the other week?

If so what V8 drivers were there (other than the one who owns a team which competed there)?
Spot on racer69. Must be more stressful being an owner than just driving! Maybe he gets really stressed watching the wife go around.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 06:59 (Ref:2255665)   #11
smokinJ
Racer

smokinJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have to agree. My son who was a huge fan was snubbed once at a meeting at Mallala ( when he was just hanging out at the sheds between races) where his wife was racing

he lost the respect of a 7 year old
Old 22 Jul 2008, 07:05 (Ref:2255669)   #12
Accelerator
Rookie

Accelerator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pathetic. How long does it take to stop and sign one autograph anyway?
Old 22 Jul 2008, 08:15 (Ref:2255716)   #13
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
at least try to understand ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebushman
Spot on racer69. Must be more stressful being an owner than just driving! Maybe he gets really stressed watching the wife go around.
I saw Garth at PI with the F3 team - watching his wife go round is understating things, he was busy I'd of thought, e.g who loaded the truck after the last outing, surely not?
Old 22 Jul 2008, 08:34 (Ref:2255730)   #14
aussie_xr8
Rookie

aussie_xr8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems this driver never watched Dick and Brocky conduct themselves after race meetings. Went to DJR when i was 14 in middle of JAN the place was a ghost town asked the receptionist if Dicky was around she said hang on ill ring him. She said he is just getting lunch he will be 5 mins. Sure enough 5 mins later dick appears and happily signs autographs takes pictures and thanks us for coming up as we are from sydney.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 08:49 (Ref:2255744)   #15
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur
Story has been floating around for couple of years that a previous two time champion did the same thing at an airport.
I had an encounter with him at EC back in 2004 early Sunday morning out the back of the pits. I politely asked him to sign a photo I had of him & my wife. Without any warning he told me to f*** off.

Never had any problem with Lowndes, Murph, Skaife, Todd, S & J Richards. GT never seems to come out of the garage much but I haven't had a problem with him when he has. Rick - well he runs away like a rabbit in the headlights - one of the most difficult blokes to get a minute from.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 11:20 (Ref:2255825)   #16
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can back to the seventies , a lot of drivers hads the time, unfourtunatley, todays spotrspersons seem to forget how to conduct themselves.

Had a great chat with Rusty, Bairdo, Bargs at bathurst some years back. Still have chats to a lot of drivers as a flaggy too.

The best was Jim richards, we offered Jim the best job in motorsport. Go to every track, see racing up close , catch all the excitement, want to swap Jim, oh by the way the pays lousy. Jim just laughed with us.

Maybe we need some older statesmen around to teach the new guys.

could be a new thread.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 01:07 (Ref:2256291)   #17
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All I can say is how rude....... Have to say that over indy time the only time the officals could get autographs was at the end of the day. And Lowndes, Skaife and Price, Perkins were more than happy to sign our lanyards.

The only person I had trouble was with the same person everyone is talking about......... He looked straight at us (there about 5 flaggies there waiting) he turned around and went into hiding as to say he didn't see us waiting for his autograph... in my book he is a loser...
Old 23 Jul 2008, 07:38 (Ref:2256378)   #18
ezra
Rookie

Australia
ezra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Eastern Creek one year I watched a current V8 star tell a young boy to go away when he asked him to sign his shirt. The poor kid just stood there looking devastated. However, as said driver got closer to where I was standing he took an interest in the rather attractive blonde I was standing with. After batting her eyes at him for a moment she flirtatiously asked if he could do her a favour. When he replied yes she got the little boy and promptly told the driver to "sign his shirt a**hole!". The then red faced driver quickly signed the shirt and retreated. I laughed for hours!!!!
Old 23 Jul 2008, 09:10 (Ref:2256405)   #19
doug05
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
doug05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowgto
Drivers that you could cross off the "low act" list, Whincup,'' Frosty "
J Richards, Jnr Johnson, Davison and McConville.
Cant ever see any of these guys doing something like that.
Should i have put Lowndes on that list ??
I will unfortunately have to disagree with this... In Adelaide this year, I tried to get Whincups signature on 3 seperate occassions while he was walking through the paddock, only to be told he was on his way to do stuff, and will be back out later. I never did get hold of him, fair enough, its the start of the year and its a busy time etc etc.

However, last weekend in willowbank, I tried to get the same certificate signed. It was Friday mid morning, in between the transporters with no one else around after him. I asked Jamie for his signature as I had the pen and certificate there ready to go. He ignored me. I asked again. This time he looked at me, looked at the certificate, then went on for about 30 seconds telling me that he couldnt sign mine, he was busy, and if he signed mine he would 'have to sign everyone elses'!!! It would have been much quicker just to sign the damn certificate than give me a bull**** excuse

So Mr Whincup, moral of the story, I will never give you the slightest bit of my time again. As a Mr Brock said on many occassions, if it wasnt for the fans, these guys would not be doing what they are doing and getting paid so well to do. It was the height of arrogence on his behalf, and the people watching from a distance shook their head at me when i walked back past and could not believe it. Jamie, lose your big newly found head!!!!
Old 23 Jul 2008, 09:51 (Ref:2256429)   #20
STEVO
Veteran

STEVO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glenn Seton is always the best to speak too.

Hence the reason I remain loyal to him.

Once at Eastern Creek in 2002, he was having another dog of a round, I remember he was in his Jayco Merchandise Caravan signing autographs. I was happily waiting when I heard a kid in front of us crying. He just had an autograph from Glenn but the child's dad refused to buy him a flag. The kid must've been 3 or 4 and the dad was whisking him away to avoid the attention when Glenn asked Jon Matthews, Team Manager at the time, what happened. Jon told Glenn the kid wanted a flag but his dad didn't want to buy it for him, guess it was too expensive.

Glenn told Jon to get a flag from the shelf and to run it up to the young guy. No charge. No nothing. Glenn just waved on at the kid and the child was beaming.

EVERYTIME without fail that I attempt to ask Seto a few questions, he's not only genuine and polite but he even asks the fan questions and actually engages you into a conversation.

It's stuff like that, that helps keep my loyalty to guys like Glenn. At least I know I'm barracking for a good bloke as well as a champion on track too.

If it's true that the driver in question dropped the F word, then he's not worth your time.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 10:22 (Ref:2256446)   #21
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezra
At Eastern Creek one year I watched a current V8 star tell a young boy to go away when he asked him to sign his shirt. The poor kid just stood there looking devastated. However, as said driver got closer to where I was standing he took an interest in the rather attractive blonde I was standing with. After batting her eyes at him for a moment she flirtatiously asked if he could do her a favour. When he replied yes she got the little boy and promptly told the driver to "sign his shirt a**hole!". The then red faced driver quickly signed the shirt and retreated. I laughed for hours!!!!
i worked GT out after abit (after i first posted) but i can't for the life of me work this one out any chance of a name? cheers.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 11:44 (Ref:2256500)   #22
ezra
Rookie

Australia
ezra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
i worked GT out after abit (after i first posted) but i can't for the life of me work this one out any chance of a name? cheers.
He has a championship win to his name.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 11:59 (Ref:2256516)   #23
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Rick?, Rusty? i think if one it would be the former as the later i have found to be very nice and the only driver i was as tall as at 12.
Old 23 Jul 2008, 16:38 (Ref:2256701)   #24
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We might as well use the names and call them out.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 06:44 (Ref:2256978)   #25
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I ran into Brock in the pits at his last Bathurst. As he walked towards me I asked him to sign my cap. He brushed me aside with his arm saying he was to busy. I never thought the same of him after that.