Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Sep 2000, 13:37 (Ref:35340)   #1
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just seen this interview with Ralf on the Autosport website, and I thought I'd post some of the highlights.

"I feel that him (Button) leaving us is nothing positive,” said Schumacher. “It’s a pity to tear apart our team and put Montoya in the car. No one can tell how well he will perform. I think we could and should have kept the driver line-up as it is this year.”

The German believes Montoya will find the switch from Champ Cars to F1 difficult, but says he is prepared to be proved wrong.

“Let’s put it this way,” he said. “It will not be as easy as the switch to Champ Cars [from Formula 3000]. I cannot see him coming into F1 and starting to win right away. But I cannot exclude it since I do not know him.

“All I know is that he was not too impressive when he was testing for Williams. But that is a couple of years ago and he has gained experience since then.”

Well, that's interesting isn't it? Looks like it'll be happy families at williams next year. I can't help remembering how well Ralf reacted to being slower than Fissi in his first year, and with it not being unknown for Montoya to have the odd shunt, it could be an expensive year for Frank!

Also, on Button,

But although Schumacher believes the retention of Button is the better option, he remains to be convinced on how good the 20-year-old will ultimately become.

“Only time will reveal that,” said Schumacher. “Many drivers have done well in their first year . It looked different in their second and after the third they went home. Therefore I can only say ‘wait and see’.”

I guess that is just in case Jenson thought that the attack on Montoya was because Ralf rated JB....

Old 6 Sep 2000, 16:22 (Ref:35358)   #2
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Great interview; this or that, then again, that or this, or maybe visa versa I dunno.
Old 7 Sep 2000, 00:41 (Ref:35465)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got the distinct impression that Ralf thought he could beat Button ("Yes, let's keep him!") but thinks Montoya can beat him ("We are taking a big chance - he will not find it easy - he will go home in 3 years ...") and then thought, well that sounds like sour grapes and what if he is better than me, I will look like a d*@ned fool, so he started backpedalling and ended up cobwebbed in silly string.

Ralf, you should have kept quiet.
Old 7 Sep 2000, 00:53 (Ref:35469)   #4
Unknown Soldier
Racer

Unknown Soldier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumi speak, what a beautiful thing.

Old 7 Sep 2000, 02:41 (Ref:35485)   #5
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
maybe ralf was speaking as a TEAM member, not an individual...we will just have to wait until the end of 01 to see how williams ends up in th championship.
Old 7 Sep 2000, 12:13 (Ref:35527)   #6
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I agree with most of you, i think Ralphi is afraid of what Montoya can do to his image as the #1 driver in williams, but his fears will become true. And by the way, when montoya tested for williams he had great laps, better than his teammates. So we will wait and see if jr shumi has to eat all his words.
Old 7 Sep 2000, 13:22 (Ref:35534)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's soooo usual in F1 nowadays ! You always can see a driver leveling down his teammate, with words and that is so easy. That is the well known "mind game", wich Montoya is about to join. I see a very promising future in these 3 young guys, but the ice cold german is well suited to the enviroment. Bunsen has a great support and Montoya is the guy to watch... But I don't expect them taking part of the main role for the next 2 years.
What we usually forget is the competition and excitement in CART series, so one driver that looks amazing there can be only regular in F1. That's nothing personal with Montoya, but most for the team he will be. I can see a huge improvement in Williams/BMW, but if one can be more succesfull there, I still think it's Ralfie...