Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 17 May 2010, 13:04 (Ref:2692504)   #1
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Track modifications

Ok, so rather than just concentrating on one track, how about generally - Any tracks you can think of that say, have 'potential' in your eyes, i'd like to see some small modifications you'd make to improve racing, or just the general flow of the track.

I think China's potentially quite good. It can create some decent racing, yet it's slightly stop-start. I've made a couple of changes, tell me what you think and let's see some of your own!:

*I've literally changed 2 sections. I feel this Magny Cours style hairpin i've put in is a much better option than the rediculously tight left, followed by the one leading out on to the straight. This hairpin should hopefully encourage different lines, therefore different speeds leading out in to the straight.

*The next change is getting rid of the heavy left hander, which resembles the now 'old' Club. Instead, I wanted to make this a quick banked right hairpin, which should again hopefully encourage different lines, leading out in to the mile long straight, eventually leading to some interesting battles into the tight hairpin.

Selby
Attached Thumbnails
china mods.JPG  
Old 17 May 2010, 15:28 (Ref:2692607)   #2
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've done a version of Shanghai on another forum before.

At 4 the track should be banked from the start to the end of the corner instead of just the end as it is now.
Old 17 May 2010, 19:31 (Ref:2692782)   #3
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now this is my kind of thread

Zandvoort
Old 17 May 2010, 21:57 (Ref:2692875)   #4
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
You've removed my two favorite spectating spots. How dare you! I'm glad both are next to impossible to accomplish with a dune in one place and a major elevation change at the other. Talking about Zandvoort, a new chicane is being considered. Don't know where but I have my sources.
Old 18 May 2010, 18:23 (Ref:2693470)   #5
Helicon_One
Rookie

Helicon_One should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valencia would surely be a much more attractive circuit just by ironing out some of those non-straight straights to improve overtaking opportunities (and honestly, no 3.4 mile circuit needs 25 corners):
Attached Thumbnails
valencia.jpg  
Old 19 May 2010, 11:23 (Ref:2693943)   #6
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintin03 View Post
You've removed my two favorite spectating spots. How dare you! I'm glad both are next to impossible to accomplish with a dune in one place and a major elevation change at the other. Talking about Zandvoort, a new chicane is being considered. Don't know where but I have my sources.
I apologise Mishter Dutchman

On the subject of a chicane, I can pretty much guess where it would be - presumably either they would use the one they've already got, or it would be at the last corner where there isn't much run-off
Old 19 May 2010, 14:29 (Ref:2694080)   #7
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
I apologise Mishter Dutchman

On the subject of a chicane, I can pretty much guess where it would be - presumably either they would use the one they've already got, or it would be at the last corner where there isn't much run-off
No need for apologies.

The chicane they have isn't FIA or KNAF licensed and only used for the few motorcycle races they have and free rides. It was clearly said they considered a new chicane.
Old 19 May 2010, 19:15 (Ref:2694266)   #8
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicon_One View Post
Valencia would surely be a much more attractive circuit just by ironing out some of those non-straight straights to improve overtaking opportunities (and honestly, no 3.4 mile circuit needs 25 corners):
Hi,
the only minor problem here is, that Valencia is a street circuit, so the layout is pretty much bound by the street layout of the city - there are no streets where your edits would put the new sections... Your bottom part, for example, would run partly in the river...

bio
Old 19 May 2010, 20:24 (Ref:2694326)   #9
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Valencia is for the most part purpose built so I don't see the problem. Many tracks run across rivers. The Eau Rouge Corner which precedes the famous yet hardly known Raidillon at Spa-Francorchamps is named after the river it crosses. Indy has a river running underneath the pitlane. At a time the TTcircuit of Assen ran across a river. More examples needed?
Old 19 May 2010, 20:29 (Ref:2694331)   #10
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quintin,
please consult Gmaps.

bio
Old 20 May 2010, 06:29 (Ref:2694509)   #11
Helicon_One
Rookie

Helicon_One should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
Hi,
the only minor problem here is, that Valencia is a street circuit, so the layout is pretty much bound by the street layout of the city - there are no streets where your edits would put the new sections... Your bottom part, for example, would run partly in the river...

bio
Its such a pain to get good up-to-date aerial images of the Valencia layout (on googlemaps the circuit isn't even built, you can just see the foundations of the swing bridge being put down) but yes, looking again you're right.

Lets give Yas Marina a try since over there if any proposed circuit layout goes into the sea they'll just reclaim a bit more land to make it fit!
Attached Thumbnails
yas marina.jpg  
Old 20 May 2010, 09:15 (Ref:2694581)   #12
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintin03 View Post
Valencia is for the most part purpose built so I don't see the problem. Many tracks run across rivers. The Eau Rouge Corner which precedes the famous yet hardly known Raidillon at Spa-Francorchamps is named after the river it crosses. Indy has a river running underneath the pitlane. At a time the TTcircuit of Assen ran across a river. More examples needed?
[Off-topic]

Of course quintin isn't going to think water is a problem here - remember where he's from!

Dutch Floating Houses on Water

They've spent half their history fighting the sea - I doubt building a bit of track over a bit of water would make much of a difference!

Only kidding!
Old 20 May 2010, 23:21 (Ref:2695115)   #13
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
The Dutch are crayshee. They shurvive plane crashesh and shmoke weed. I'd rather not argue with Quintin in case it sparks a bad trip

Meanwhile, in nearby Belgium
Old 21 May 2010, 04:43 (Ref:2695171)   #14
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
They shurvive plane crashesh and shmoke weed.
Do you realy have to mention that now when some houndred people died in a crash in Tripoli which had one survivor: a little child who now doesnt have any parents left.

And about smoking weed. It's only legal. The Americans use more on average and they aren't legal. The law is very strict and it actualy seems to lessen the amount of drug users aswell as making softdrugs more atractive to make it safer though that can be seen as quite the contradiction.
Old 21 May 2010, 14:01 (Ref:2695434)   #15
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Whoa, don't take it so seriously. I've been following the Libyan crash story closer than most so don't infer that I don't care...anyway, back on topic...
Old 21 May 2010, 14:09 (Ref:2695444)   #16
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
On a complete side-note, it was very strange sitting in a coffee shop watching an old gentleman go up to the counter and pick out a bag of his favourite weed

Annnyways...!

Selby
Old 21 May 2010, 14:12 (Ref:2695446)   #17
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
And now you know why Hugenholtz was better than Tilke...
Old 21 May 2010, 14:16 (Ref:2695449)   #18
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Would somebody kindly hand Mr Tilke a large bong, please?

Those long straights may have just gotten a little more interesting...

Selby
Old 21 May 2010, 14:19 (Ref:2695451)   #19
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Common guys, this is My Tracks! Not ''My insults to people of other cultures based on common stereotypes... oh, and some track design too!''

By your location Jab, it suggests that you Bother Sheep/have really bad teeth.

AAAAAaaaaaanyway
Old 21 May 2010, 14:37 (Ref:2695463)   #20
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
By your location Jab, it suggests that you Bother Sheep/have really bad teeth.
The funny thing is, I do actually have quite bad teeth. However, the sheep keep running away
Old 21 May 2010, 14:55 (Ref:2695483)   #21
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a true welshman then.

I might give this ''up-state'' New York track that wants to host F1 a go later.
Old 21 May 2010, 14:58 (Ref:2695488)   #22
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
I'll quickly distract everyone from national stereotypes with this intentionally horrific Tilkefication of Oulton Park
Old 22 May 2010, 16:00 (Ref:2695993)   #23
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Helicon One,
sure, Gmaps isn't always up-to-date - to say the least...

bio
Old 5 Jun 2010, 12:49 (Ref:2705046)   #24
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought I'd keep this thread alive, with this:

Just tried to make the Nurburgring GP Circuit flow a little better. Would porbably be shorter, and quite a bit faster than the current circuit, which is why I balanced it out with the all-new slower bit near the end.

Some corners have retained the names of the old corners nearest to them.

The light grey bits are where the track used to go, the short and darker grey bit is where the new proposed club circuit would go.
Old 5 Jun 2010, 16:29 (Ref:2705106)   #25
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice ideas, but what about eliminating Veedol entirely and tightening up T13?