Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 20 Jan 2008, 14:54 (Ref:2109901)   #76
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff
Tough day for Switzerland (and some others). No evidence of a false start that I could see, from that camera angle anyway.
Apparently they had a second camera angle, which showed that the car's wheels were spinning before the lights changed, but if that was all and the car hadn't actually moved forward, where's the fault? Jani probably couldn't do it again no matter how many times he tried, but it sounds like the perfect start to me! Blistering fastest lap at the end, too.
Old 20 Jan 2008, 18:14 (Ref:2109982)   #77
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
In the end USA was penalized 70 seconds for taking it's second pit stop outside the specified window, so nothing too dramatic at all.
I recall the days when taking mandatory pitstops outside the window was punished with a disqualification. (Brazil at Sepang and Netherlands at Sentul in the 2006-2007 season).

Also, the cams really showed that Neel Jani was allready moving before the lights went off... so a false start it was... However, he should have been blackflagged when he decided to overtake the safetycar to unlap himself. A drivethrough penalty definately doesn't weigh up agains the fact that he undid himself of a 75 second gap right there.
Old 20 Jan 2008, 23:38 (Ref:2110213)   #78
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well there ya go, I didn't see any of that. By the way, welcome to ten-tenths Richard.

Nice touch having the Prime Minister there to handout the hardware I thought NZL and it looked like a pretty good turnout, although no idea how it compares to last year's event. Will the race be back next year?
Old 21 Jan 2008, 00:11 (Ref:2110228)   #79
jackschmidt
Racer

jackschmidt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chaotic race...

I was fairly confused with how Taupo unfolded. I firmly believe Neel did not jump the start and even Watty had to eat his words when replay after replay showed just how long Loic and Christian snoozed on the red lights.

Lots of collisions happened and really,these drivers have to step up from amateurish levels. Couple that with those cars spinning out and getting ditched in the gravel trap, drivers leaving their cars only to have them walk back in and un-retire themselves. Plus race marshalls taking cues from Lewis Hamilton and pushing them back on track.

The USA pitstop glitch also kind of just made things weirder for me. Then Switzerland trying to unlap itself on the safety car. Too many weird things for me in Taupo. Enough to make me totally confused with who's really out and who's really in the race, who gets penalized and for what.

It's shame though because Loic and Christian provided some good racing stuff. Also, there's a huge amount of car pile-ups here and no one gets penalized. Kind of inconsistent with the kind of harsh marshall penalties dished out in previous races.

Anyway, here's to hoping Eastern Creek provides more consistency and more racing, less crashing.
Old 21 Jan 2008, 05:38 (Ref:2110307)   #80
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackschmidt
Lots of collisions happened and really,these drivers have to step up from amateurish levels. Couple that with those cars spinning out and getting ditched in the gravel trap, drivers leaving their cars only to have them walk back in and un-retire themselves. Plus race marshalls taking cues from Lewis Hamilton and pushing them back on track.
Welcome to Ten Tenths Jack

Yea I thought that was odd, isn't the rule that no outside help. BTW I think Hamilton took his lead from TGF

Just in case you did not know

BTW - by the way
TGF - That German fellow
Old 21 Jan 2008, 07:46 (Ref:2110326)   #81
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't be conned by the appearance of the NZ Prime Minister... She is no supporter of motorsport, along with the rest of her government. It was a probably a publicity stunt for her. Having said that, apparently the government are now putting some cash into the pot, supporting the bio-fuel initiative, so we should be grateful for that. The real Kiwi hero is Colin Giltrap, who has funded most of the effort so far, from his own pocket.

Spinning wheels is not the same as going forward... Would like to see it again from a better angle. Presumably the A1GP has its own officials/stewards for consistency of penalties?

Taupo still has a few question marks as a circuit, and many of the locals are not too impressed with the prices charged, and what they actually get for their money.
Old 21 Jan 2008, 11:44 (Ref:2110463)   #82
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackschmidt
I was fairly confused with how Taupo unfolded. I firmly believe Neel did not jump the start and even Watty had to eat his words when replay after replay showed just how long Loic and Christian snoozed on the red lights.

The USA pitstop glitch also kind of just made things weirder for me. Then Switzerland trying to unlap itself on the safety car. Too many weird things for me in Taupo. Enough to make me totally confused with who's really out and who's really in the race, who gets penalized and for what.

It's shame though because Loic and Christian provided some good racing stuff. Also, there's a huge amount of car pile-ups here and no one gets penalized. Kind of inconsistent with the kind of harsh marshall penalties dished out in previous races.

Anyway, here's to hoping Eastern Creek provides more consistency and more racing, less crashing.
Very good first post, jackschmidt, and welcome to Tenths.

I agree with pretty much all that you say. Most A1GP races are so full of drama and action that it's hard to keep track of what's going on, but Taupo did set a new high (or low...).

Team GBR certainly seemed to be beached in the gravel bed in the sprint race and out of the picture, but then the car re-appeared and actually set the second fastest lap of the race at the end. Bizarre.

I do wish Robbie would stop hitting other cars. To me it looked as though he had made a perfectly good pass on USA, but then, for some reason, delayed his turn in to the corner as though he wanted to hang Summerton out to dry on the outside as well. Eventually Summerton had to turn in and that's what caused the collision, but I think it could have been avoided. The other point is that the car going off into the gravel may have contributed to the engine problem in the feature race.
Old 21 Jan 2008, 12:50 (Ref:2110505)   #83
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was 100% Robbies fault. All his talk afterwards of letting the team take it up with the stewards was laughable at best. Why he is still given a shot at A1 GP I do not know. He is not in the same class as Jarvis.

Anyways, yes, a pretty confusing weekend all in. I don't much care for Taupo as a track, but it really did show up to be a tad inappropriate yesterday in a number of ways. It was exciting stuff, but so often the wrong kind if excitement. And some of the driving.... some of the guys must still have christmas alcohol left in their bodies.

Not a great advert for A1 GP then, but not to worry. It is rare that it is like that.
Old 21 Jan 2008, 13:25 (Ref:2110528)   #84
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm...I don't know if I'd be so harsh on Robbie although he does seem to have more than his fair share of scrapes. He was legitimately past Summerton and just because Robbie was occupying a bit of tarmac the USA car wanted doesn't mean he can just go and take it.

But also Robbie allowed himself to be put in that position which seemed pretty dumb. 50/50 accident out of which both drivers look a bit rubbish.
Old 21 Jan 2008, 17:24 (Ref:2110668)   #85
FBMW98
Rookie

FBMW98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
Hmmm...I don't know if I'd be so harsh on Robbie although he does seem to have more than his fair share of scrapes. He was legitimately past Summerton and just because Robbie was occupying a bit of tarmac the USA car wanted doesn't mean he can just go and take it.

But also Robbie allowed himself to be put in that position which seemed pretty dumb. 50/50 accident out of which both drivers look a bit rubbish.

Kerr pulled off a brilliant move over a series of corners to get alongside USA. He had the corner won, but that wasn't enough for him......he then decided he wanted the outside line aswell. What did he think was gonna happen? The USA car cant just disappear.
Old 21 Jan 2008, 20:29 (Ref:2110774)   #86
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
mitzi dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK.. let me say this.. Taupo has nothing to do with the running of the A1 races..its all run by A1..so dont blame us for so0me of the poor showing. the A1 drivers all need get their together in some respects a lot of offs,hitingt each other,the firs t turn malaysia out anda few others. last year it was indian file. this year a bit more action. and as for the dust what track hasn't got it. we reckon the pm was their was for the bio-fuel thing she did mingle with some of the people, I never saw her tho. I was out in the dummy grid sorting out stuff. and Matt did have a crappy weekend from what I nsaw he was just like a spoilt child.( the one part I saw). we will see what happens next year.the other thing was I did speak to matt and found quite pleasant. I like my trackno matter what you guys say about it because I have put a lot of hrs into help building it.
Old 21 Jan 2008, 22:22 (Ref:2110859)   #87
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Totally understandable mitzi dude. But it is to be expected that, as a relatively new track, things will need altered for a few years yet. Inevitable, so please don't take it the wrong way.

I can think of few tracks that got it right first time.
Old 21 Jan 2008, 22:38 (Ref:2110867)   #88
jackschmidt
Racer

jackschmidt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Very good first post, jackschmidt, and welcome to Tenths.

I agree with pretty much all that you say. Most A1GP races are so full of drama and action that it's hard to keep track of what's going on, but Taupo did set a new high (or low...).

Team GBR certainly seemed to be beached in the gravel bed in the sprint race and out of the picture, but then the car re-appeared and actually set the second fastest lap of the race at the end. Bizarre.
Pretty much as you've said. We've had some real messy stuff. It's not Taupo's fault, but it's the cars and drivers. Cars need to be consistent, and drivers need to step up. Some of the collisions that have happened could have been avoided had the driver had a bit more sense. Take for example, turn 12, which is simply too narrow for two cars to run parallel but that's exactly what at least one of the drivers there attempted during the weekend and lost his nose in the process.

Speaking of which the turn 12 revision did not really help passing. Turn 12 is a potential overtaking place because of the straight before it. But only those with a significant horse power advantage can make use of that, and even so, the defending car in front can simply take the inside line making passing almost impossible.

Quote:
I do wish Robbie would stop hitting other cars. To me it looked as though he had made a perfectly good pass on USA, but then, for some reason, delayed his turn in to the corner as though he wanted to hang Summerton out to dry on the outside as well. Eventually Summerton had to turn in and that's what caused the collision, but I think it could have been avoided. The other point is that the car going off into the gravel may have contributed to the engine problem in the feature race.
In fairness to Robbie, he had the steering at full lock, but the car wasn't turning anymore (at least from recollection). I think he overcooked the turn and caused the car not to react anymore.

Anyway, my two cents for what its worth.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 00:12 (Ref:2110928)   #89
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Totally understandable mitzi dude. But it is to be expected that, as a relatively new track, things will need altered for a few years yet. Inevitable, so please don't take it the wrong way.
Yeah, ditto Mitzi Dude. And I really did think it was a nice touch having your Prime Minister there, okay, maybe I'm not up on your politics much.

And welcome Jack, thanks for contributing.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 03:14 (Ref:2110984)   #90
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
mitzi dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks guys, I read what I had written. and thought oh great lets see what happens.anyway the rain that was expected never came, so hence the dry stuff.the dreeded dust. shelagh can testify to that.I saw one photo taken near the czec pits thats where I basicly hung out.well just around the corner.thanx guys ...
Old 22 Jan 2008, 03:18 (Ref:2110986)   #91
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Meh, the Prime Minister has consistently shown an interest and support for all areas of NZ achievement and innovation even if they don't coincide with her personal interests. The poster describing it as a con and a publicity stunt no doubt would've moaned about her lack of support if she hadn't shown up. (And besides, every public appearance be every politician everywhere in the world is, on one level, a publicity stunt).

And as Kiwis know, she may not be a fan of motorsport, but she's fond of the odd high-speed drive!

Old 22 Jan 2008, 03:35 (Ref:2110992)   #92
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would have been quite happy if she hadn't shown up and certainly wouldn't have moaned! Yes, I am grateful that she is now aware of A1GP, but don't forget that one of the MPs in power with her (a Green however) had already stood up publicly and branded racing as a total waste of resources, especially the publicity stunt between the Boeing 777 and the A1GP car at the airport...

Lets wait and see if racing ever gets a mention again by those in power, in spite of the obvious tourism boost, the extra local income and GST (VAT) income, and the obvious enthusiasm for Taupo as a venue.

Motorsport in NZ is treated apallingly by the non specialist media, and even the NZ Herald (who now have their logo on the car and the teamwear), have consistently ignored reporting of A1GP, (and most other racing) apart from this one weekend. For most of the season, there is nothing at all in the Herald prior to the race and for two days after it, then there is usually a full page ad from the team itself. That is like the All Blacks writing the only match report and totally ignoring the opposition...

By the way, the picture on Monday's front page showing Jonny Reid, was a file photo from last season...

Last edited by socram; 22 Jan 2008 at 03:39.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 04:18 (Ref:2111005)   #93
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Anyways, yes, a pretty confusing weekend all in. I don't much care for Taupo as a track, but it really did show up to be a tad inappropriate yesterday in a number of ways. It was exciting stuff, but so often the wrong kind if excitement. And some of the driving.... some of the guys must still have christmas alcohol left in their bodies.

Not a great advert for A1 GP then, but not to worry. It is rare that it is like that.
I've been on track at Taupo several times and overall I like it, but it's a one line track and it's hard to pass as there is no room in many spots. I don't know the exact measurements but it feels too narrow in many spots from the drivers seat. I enjoy it though and the facilities are probably the best in NZ.

I haven't seen the race yet, so I'll have to check it out.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 04:25 (Ref:2111007)   #94
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I've been on track at Taupo several times and overall I like it, but it's a one line track and it's hard to pass as there is no room in many spots. I don't know the exact measurements but it feels too narrow in many spots from the drivers seat. I enjoy it though and the facilities are probably the best in NZ.

I haven't seen the race yet, so I'll have to check it out.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 07:09 (Ref:2111040)   #95
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram
Motorsport in NZ is treated apallingly by the non specialist media, and even the NZ Herald (who now have their logo on the car and the teamwear), have consistently ignored reporting of A1GP, (and most other racing) apart from this one weekend. For most of the season, there is nothing at all in the Herald prior to the race and for two days after it, then there is usually a full page ad from the team itself. That is like the All Blacks writing the only match report and totally ignoring the opposition...

By the way, the picture on Monday's front page showing Jonny Reid, was a file photo from last season...
I'm not sure if I agree with you entirely on the Helen Clark thing but I have to say you are on the money on your non specialist media. I often see blunder after blunder, I believe because they don't have people that specalize in Motorsport, either that or they just don't give a ****, it's just another story
Old 23 Jan 2008, 10:17 (Ref:2111836)   #96
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the NZ Herald are appaling at covering football as well in case it makes you feel any better.

If the Green MP had done his homework he would have found that the Air NZ 777 was also testing an aerodynamic development from Boeing, that if implemented should save them 1% on fuel consumption.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 21:07 (Ref:2112240)   #97
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
The Green MP was a she...

Well, I suppose I should have been warned. NZ has always been known for its obsession with Rugby, Racing and Beer. The population has changed, but the media hasn't...
Old 28 Jan 2008, 07:39 (Ref:2115288)   #98
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Motorsport coverage in the papers this weekend - zip...

MP Harry Duynhoven attended the massive classic meeting at Pukekohe - without cameras folowing him. Nice to talk to an MP who actually appreciates cars. (He has an old 356 Porsche he has almost finished restoring.) Same political party as the PM.
Old 30 Jan 2008, 04:16 (Ref:2116776)   #99
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Driver of the day Taupo - Robert Wickens

A bit slow coming but they got there in the end

http://www.a1gp.com/News/NewsArticle.aspx?newsId=40168
Old 30 Jan 2008, 11:43 (Ref:2116958)   #100
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
Driver of the day Taupo - Robert Wickens

A bit slow coming but they got there in the end.
Very good choice, I'd say. The reason for the delay in the decision is that it's reached by a poll of the fans after the race, which is bound to take longer than someone making a decision on the day. I rather like the idea.