Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jun 2010, 02:12 (Ref:2714094)   #26
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
The return of KERS. Hmmm.

Can someone please point out a great battle last year where KERS improved the racing between 2 cars with KERS?

KERS only assisted drivers when they were racing cars without KERS. While I like the idea of KERS, it will not improve the racing in its current form. You are trying to overtake me. You hit your boost button, I hit my boost button. Please tell me how that is different to not having a boost button.

By having an amount of Boost available lap in lap out, it becomes pointless. However, if you limit the amount of Boost available for a race (30, 60, 90 seconds whatever), you could end up with cars battling with different amounts of KERS available.

If you leave it the way it is, pointless.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 08:18 (Ref:2714186)   #27
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Not pointless from a technology development point of view. One of the few parts of F1 that may have some road relevance.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 10:40 (Ref:2714236)   #28
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrex View Post
The return of KERS. Hmmm.

Can someone please point out a great battle last year where KERS improved the racing between 2 cars with KERS?

KERS only assisted drivers when they were racing cars without KERS. While I like the idea of KERS, it will not improve the racing in its current form. You are trying to overtake me. You hit your boost button, I hit my boost button. Please tell me how that is different to not having a boost button.

By having an amount of Boost available lap in lap out, it becomes pointless. However, if you limit the amount of Boost available for a race (30, 60, 90 seconds whatever), you could end up with cars battling with different amounts of KERS available.

If you leave it the way it is, pointless.
Yeh i've thought this a few times before, actually.

The thing we must avoid is everyone using it in the same place, such as we saw in 2009. Unfortunately, the teams will probably calculate before they even get to the circuit as to where exactly KERS will benefit.

If everyone is using it in the same parts of the track, every time per lap, then you're right - it's completely pointless.

Selby
Old 18 Jun 2010, 11:17 (Ref:2714252)   #29
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Some would argue that KERS is already being developed successfully by companies outside of F1 and in a direction that is more in keeping with the every day needs of public use.

From an entertainment point of view, just allowing the drivers to turn up the rpms every now and then would have much the same effect.

Technlogy is great, but not just for the sake of it.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 11:57 (Ref:2714267)   #30
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
KERS to make bigger difference next year.

But not as much as hoped, and some are not happy.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84543
I must admit I rather enjoyed KERS last year, because some cars had it and others didn't. There seemed to be a choice to be made. If you had it you you would have the power advantage, e.g. Ferrari and McLaren, but you had to cope with the weight distribution problem, which meant that you would not have such a well-handling car. Those that didn't have it, e.g. Brawn and Red Bull, could optimise their cars' handling instead and that turned out to be the better way to go.

However all my thinking changed at the beginning of this year. Someone kindly gave me a ticket to the Prof. Sidney Watkins lecture at the Autosport show and the speaker was Adrian Newey. It was actually more a Q&A session between him and Maurice Hamilton and absolutely fascinating because Adrian didn't hold anything back

The subject of KERS came up and he was totally opposed to it and very relieved it had been banned for this season for a reason that hadn't occurred to me before. Safety.

Apparently before a Marshal can work on a KERS-equipped car safely he has to be wearing special gloves and there is a switch on the car that has to be turned off to deactivate the system.

Newey said that all this was contrary to the training instilled in a Marshal over the years and that in a moment of crisis he might well forget it and endanger himself. He cited Kubica's crash in Canada as an example. It was monumental and Kubica's feet were exposed at the front. Any Marshal would want to help immediately, but he couldn't without going through the procedure.

I don't think this was mentioned, but what if a car became 'live' as a result of an an accident and the driver was naturally still inside. Might he not be endangered, too?
Old 18 Jun 2010, 12:26 (Ref:2714277)   #31
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks Strider, in one short paragraph I have gone from believing KERS should be in racing to believing it has no place in racing.

Does this mean if a driver somehow becomes grounded he could be electrocuted?

Also massively increase the chances of a fire.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 12:30 (Ref:2714278)   #32
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I don't want to exaggerate the consequences of KERS, but what you said my post did to you is exactly what Adrian Newey's comments did to me.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 12:40 (Ref:2714284)   #33
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I must admit I rather enjoyed KERS last year, because some cars had it and others didn't. There seemed to be a choice to be made. If you had it you you would have the power advantage, e.g. Ferrari and McLaren, but you had to cope with the weight distribution problem, which meant that you would not have such a well-handling car. Those that didn't have it, e.g. Brawn and Red Bull, could optimise their cars' handling instead and that turned out to be the better way to go.

However all my thinking changed at the beginning of this year. Someone kindly gave me a ticket to the Prof. Sidney Watkins lecture at the Autosport show and the speaker was Adrian Newey. It was actually more a Q&A session between him and Maurice Hamilton and absolutely fascinating because Adrian didn't hold anything back

The subject of KERS came up and he was totally opposed to it and very relieved it had been banned for this season for a reason that hadn't occurred to me before. Safety.

Apparently before a Marshal can work on a KERS-equipped car safely he has to be wearing special gloves and there is a switch on the car that has to be turned off to deactivate the system.

Newey said that all this was contrary to the training instilled in a Marshal over the years and that in a moment of crisis he might well forget it and endanger himself. He cited Kubica's crash in Canada as an example. It was monumental and Kubica's feet were exposed at the front. Any Marshal would want to help immediately, but he couldn't without going through the procedure.

I don't think this was mentioned, but what if a car became 'live' as a result of an an accident and the driver was naturally still inside. Might he not be endangered, too?
While there is a safety issue to be managed I think Adrian was 'over egging the pudding' as we say in the UK.

Cars already have a fuel tank which has thousands of times more energy in it than the KERS system, A hydraulic system, possibly with an accumulator, operating at several thousand psi of pressure, an electrical system working at 6000 volts plus, all these have the potential to be extremely hazardous yet Marshalls, drivers, engineers and mechanics alike all live with these hazards and will comfortably live with KERS too. I'm not trying to belittle the concerns, risks have to be understood and sensibly managed but I think there is a real risk of getting hazards associated with KERS out of proportion.

I can't imagine why Adrian as (possibly) the worlds greatest racing car aerodynamicist would exagerate the risks of a non-aerodynamic device that can simultaneously enhance performance and make the drive train as a whole bulkier and more difficult to package.
Old 19 Jun 2010, 18:07 (Ref:2714768)   #34
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Some would argue that KERS is already being developed successfully by companies outside of F1 and in a direction that is more in keeping with the every day needs of public use.

From an entertainment point of view, just allowing the drivers to turn up the rpms every now and then would have much the same effect.

Technlogy is great, but not just for the sake of it.
I would prefer that they use that solution as well, as you say technology for the sake of it is just that...
Old 19 Jun 2010, 18:59 (Ref:2714791)   #35
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
While there is a safety issue to be managed I think Adrian was 'over egging the pudding' as we say in the UK....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__DpDTDyc4g
Old 19 Jun 2010, 19:53 (Ref:2714805)   #36
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
That was a well-recorded incident that occurred in the early days of KERS technology, but I think it proves that Adrian Newey was not 'over-egging the pudding.'

I don't know enough about it to have a personal opinion, but if someone like Newey says in a perfectly matter-of-fact way that it was unsuitable for F1 and that he was glad to see the back of it, then I am going to sit up and take notice.
Old 19 Jun 2010, 20:32 (Ref:2714825)   #37
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I am right with you here. To have to handle a car wearing long rubber gloves is just silly in my mind way to many things that can go wrong... They should forget KERS in a F1 car...
Old 19 Jun 2010, 21:49 (Ref:2714857)   #38
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Focus on the *damage* planes or the Tour de France do to the environment, rather than picking on F1, which in the overall scheme of things do a thousand times more damage..

Going fishing does more damage than F1 can ever do in a year. Let's get real...
Old 23 Jun 2010, 20:33 (Ref:2717046)   #39
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Articles about the adjustable rear wing are starting to appear...

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=48674

Quote:
“From 2011, adjustable bodywork may be activated by the driver at any time prior to the start of the race and, for the sole purpose of improving overtaking opportunities during the race, after the driver has completed two laps,” the FIA statement added.

“The driver may only activate the adjustable bodywork in the race when he has been notified via the control electronics that it is enabled.

“It will only be enabled if the driver is less than one second behind another at any of the pre-determined positions around each circuit."
To me this sounds absolutely ridiculous. F1 is becoming like the EU of motorsports with its ridiculously complicated rules.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 20:50 (Ref:2717066)   #40
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paarma View Post
Articles about the adjustable rear wing are starting to appear...

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=48674

Quote:
“From 2011, adjustable bodywork may be activated by the driver at any time prior to the start of the race and, for the sole purpose of improving overtaking opportunities during the race, after the driver has completed two laps,” the FIA statement added.

“The driver may only activate the adjustable bodywork in the race when he has been notified via the control electronics that it is enabled.

“It will only be enabled if the driver is less than one second behind another at any of the pre-determined positions around each circuit."

To me this sounds absolutely ridiculous. F1 is becoming like the EU of motorsports with its ridiculously complicated rules.
It does sound ridiculous. What happens if the adjustable wing jams?
Old 23 Jun 2010, 22:18 (Ref:2717119)   #41
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post

Accident .... BIG!!!
Old 23 Jun 2010, 22:24 (Ref:2717122)   #42
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Accident .... BIG!!!
Doesn't seem like such a good idea; just another point of failure that will have to be considered.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 00:21 (Ref:2717157)   #43
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The wing would jam in one of the positions between optimum straight line speed and optimum cornering position. How would that lead to anything that would cause an accident? By that logic remove the wing and the suspension because it might fail or move in a corner and cause the car to spin off the track. NO team would ever run a wing through a position that would be harmful to the car's handling, would compromise the car more than the movement would be beneficial.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 02:34 (Ref:2717185)   #44
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
The wing would jam in one of the positions between optimum straight line speed and optimum cornering position. How would that lead to anything that would cause an accident? By that logic remove the wing and the suspension because it might fail or move in a corner and cause the car to spin off the track. NO team would ever run a wing through a position that would be harmful to the car's handling, would compromise the car more than the movement would be beneficial.
In my post, i never said it would do anything that would cause an accident, I merely asked the question about it jamming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
As for NO team would ever run a wing through a position that would be harmful to the car's handling, would compromise the car more than the movement would be beneficial.
Which is exactly why I asked about the possibility of it jamming.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 09:23 (Ref:2717294)   #45
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Couple of points here, please?
KERS should only be introduced when it's electrically NEUTRAL to the car. If it CAN earth out, it will surely short out the car electronics, and thus park the car anyway.
Also, has 'flywheel' KERS now been disallowed?

Come on, this smacks of 'you cannot mean to burn petrol in a MOVING vehicle? Utter madness, horses are much safer...'

As to sticking wings? Low downforce setting, wing sticks, enter corner, fall off. Simples.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 09:38 (Ref:2717299)   #46
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I think it'll be quite interesting seeing the drivers use the KERS and the rear wing during potential overtakes.

I mean, I have 2 mindsets here. 1 in a strange way I feel harks back to the days of active suspension etc, when drivers were trying to dial in the car whilst cornering, using all this advances technology. Drivers are going to have to control their KERS, as well as moveable rear-wing next season, which could be quite interesting.

The other mindset I have is that it is just a gimmick, like most feel on here.

Selby
Old 25 Jun 2010, 17:08 (Ref:2717919)   #47
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Focus on the *damage* planes or the Tour de France do to the environment, rather than picking on F1, which in the overall scheme of things do a thousand times more damage..

Going fishing does more damage than F1 can ever do in a year. Let's get real...
The facts are irrelevant. F1 is (or eventually will be) perceived as environmentally damaging.

Your argument isn't going to wash with the media or politicians, despite its sound logic.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 26 Jun 2010, 03:46 (Ref:2718053)   #48
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Couple of points here, please?
KERS should only be introduced when it's electrically NEUTRAL to the car. If it CAN earth out, it will surely short out the car electronics, and thus park the car anyway.
Also, has 'flywheel' KERS now been disallowed?

Come on, this smacks of 'you cannot mean to burn petrol in a MOVING vehicle? Utter madness, horses are much safer...'

As to sticking wings? Low downforce setting, wing sticks, enter corner, fall off. Simples.

Too bad if you are the conductor as KERS shorts to ground!

As to sticking wings? Low downforce setting, wing sticks, enter corner, fall off. Simples. Yup

Adjustable wing for overtaking = Push to Pass has now arrived in F1