Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jul 2005, 13:57 (Ref:1351749)   #1
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pre-race 1 min silence - minority of drivers shame

http://www.planet-f1.com/news/story_20234.shtml

I was watching the pre-race and even though it may not effect you when you are in a country it does effect and the world it watching was it really good for Whatever it was that the likes of Montoya, Villeneuve, Massa, Monteiro, and even Max Mosley found so amusing, Planet-F1 would love to know."

There were a few others too. I hope that they feel ashamed when they look back. It seemed whilst Marshalls and fans bowed their heads and kept quiet some of the grid kept on moving and making an effort that was worse than not making one at all.

Utter shame and embarrassment.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1351752)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think, to be fair, there was no announcement about when the silence was over, which led to a lot of awkwardness.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:04 (Ref:1351759)   #3
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It did make for uncomfortable viewing, but there did appear to be a lot of confusion on the grid around the time of the silence.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:05 (Ref:1351760)   #4
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it was pretty obvious when the silence was as the crowds when quiet. However Monteiro and Coulthard were busy chatting away.

Alex
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:06 (Ref:1351763)   #5
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree at the end it was hard for sure. That was an honest problem, but at the start even then it was not totally quiet from them. Just a shame really that was all. Not angry though just disappointed that's all. Needed more organisation really.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1351778)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I am sure that must have been due to poor organisation. If people on the grid were talking then they were not aware of what was taking place, plain and simple.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:23 (Ref:1351784)   #7
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a pretty stupid article in my opinion. It seemed obvious that the timing of the silence wasn't communicated properly to either the people on the grid or anyone in the stands. The minute silence lasted about 2 minutes on ITV and people started blowing airhorns half way. Not their fault. Silly article.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:24 (Ref:1351786)   #8
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes, I doubt even if one didn't care about the whole that he would just chat, in front of all the cameras.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1351787)   #9
+ its a Chevy
Rookie

England
London
+ its a Chevy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the words in this post sum up alot of what F1 looks like from outside at the moment. I enjoy motor racing a great deal but have lost interest in f1 of late due to the childish arguing and the processional races of the past few years.

From the outside, all involved seem to think that they are above everyone else, a simple thing like a minutes silence cant be organised or followed and half of the drivers probably thought about 'pulling out as there was such a strong chance of terrorist activities' or some other silly excuse, stand there laughing and giggling away. you cant use an excuse that they didnt know there was a minutes silence. If thats the case, how comes i knew yesterday???
sad to see thats how they think at the moment.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:32 (Ref:1351796)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They knew there was a minute's silence, but who knew when it started or finished? I noticed Button silently shaking hands with a few other drivers during it (and JV refusing....), but I don't think anyone was actually talking during the first minute of silence, other than Jim Rosenthal who was seemingly thrown by the imrpecise timing.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:35 (Ref:1351799)   #11
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, of course they knew there was a minutes silence - that's why they were all lined up together! The timing just wasn't communicated properly to anyone, including the crowd in the stands blowing airhorns thinking it was over (was it?).
Old 10 Jul 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1351811)   #12
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this even an issue? Is it relevant? You can't force everyone to take in part in a minute's silence anyhow.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 15:03 (Ref:1351822)   #13
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, if they can't organise a one minute zip lip...what chance did they ever have of sorting out the Indy tyre issue
Old 10 Jul 2005, 15:17 (Ref:1351829)   #14
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't notice any of those drivers chatting (Villeneuve looked very grim to me). Jenson did smile at someone but that was after that person touched him on the shoulder. I'd have probably done the same, just automatically.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 15:17 (Ref:1351830)   #15
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Well, if they can't organise a one minute zip lip...what chance did they ever have of sorting out the Indy tyre issue

Very well said
Old 10 Jul 2005, 16:58 (Ref:1351889)   #16
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard the track commentator annouce the start of the silence over Jim Rosenthal's comments. ITV should be ashamed of Rosenthal. He knew it was coming so why didn't he shut up.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 17:04 (Ref:1351895)   #17
superfox2000
Racer

Gibraltar
Cheltenham
superfox2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1
http://www.planet-f1.com/news/story_20234.shtml

I was watching the pre-race and even though it may not effect you when you are in a country it does effect and the world it watching was it really good for Whatever it was that the likes of Montoya, Villeneuve, Massa, Monteiro, and even Max Mosley found so amusing, Planet-F1 would love to know."

There were a few others too. I hope that they feel ashamed when they look back. It seemed whilst Marshalls and fans bowed their heads and kept quiet some of the grid kept on moving and making an effort that was worse than not making one at all.

Utter shame and embarrassment.
I have just watched this on the re-run of the British GP. Jensen Button was chatting away, smiling and shaking hands during the National anthem and the minute of silence! It does not happen here in USA. About time we had the National Anthem at the beginging of all races so the drivers learn respect.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1351897)   #18
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I forgot to add that at every race meeting that I have been where a silence has been observed to the commentator has said 'Thank You' or something similair to mark the end of the silence
Old 10 Jul 2005, 17:14 (Ref:1351899)   #19
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One problem most spectators do not realise is there are no speakers on the grid. When you stand on the grid you are standing behind all the PA speakers because they face the crowd so you cannot hear the PA when on the grid especially when you have ear plugs and headphones on.

I missed the snetterton silence for Senna and Ratzenberger at the end of the touring car race because the marshals at Riches could not hear any speakers and had not been instructed exactly when it would start and finish, all we were told is it will be at the after the BTCC race, but when after?

It may of looked disrespectful but not every driver had a small pocket radio listening to the circuit commentators.

You can frequently find startline marshals asking "what's the hold up?" when an incident is being dealt with somewhere else on the circuit but all the fans know because the commentator has told them.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 17:23 (Ref:1351906)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfox2000
I have just watched this on the re-run of the British GP. Jensen Button was chatting away, smiling and shaking hands during the National anthem and the minute of silence! It does not happen here in USA. About time we had the National Anthem at the beginging of all races so the drivers learn respect.

The national anthem IS played before all Grands Prix.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 17:24 (Ref:1351909)   #21
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
The Planet-F1 article is just a little bit too high and mighty, because it was a poorly organised silence and nobody knew when it was over, but some of the drivers - who were all lined up and therefore knew that it was taking place - did seem happy to ignore it, Button especially; you'd think he could wait a minute before he started shaking hands with people.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 10 Jul 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1351913)   #22
superfox2000
Racer

Gibraltar
Cheltenham
superfox2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
The national anthem IS played before all Grands Prix.
Not all races though! I think it should be sung at the start of all races.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 17:49 (Ref:1351923)   #23
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfox2000
Not all races though! I think it should be sung at the start of all races.
The National Anthem is always played at Thunder Sunday meetings
Old 10 Jul 2005, 18:10 (Ref:1351937)   #24
adstubbs
Racer

United Kingdom
Glamorous Hemel Hempstead
adstubbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think part of the problem today was that they tried to go straight from national anthem to the request for silence - because the first part of the request was more or less drowned out by those accursed airhorns, they had to do it again, and even then there will still some crass individuals letting the damn things off, which would have had me making firm contact with anyone doing it in my vicinity. I have to say it's not the first time something like this hasn't worked - at the first champ car race at Rockingham in 2001, the american national anthem was all but drowned out by the sound of the jet driers, which did not stop runninng at all. That I found particularly insensitive, given that 9/11 was still very fresh in everyone's minds
Old 10 Jul 2005, 18:15 (Ref:1351941)   #25
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the teams were going to run with black nose cones or similair today, after 9/11 the whole nosecone of the ferrari's were black and they ran without sponsorship.

What did the teams do today?