Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Apr 2024, 17:04 (Ref:4204499)   #376
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And now, this...

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/al...emand/10597133
Old 10 Apr 2024, 17:50 (Ref:4204510)   #377
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Articles about the Andretti Silverstone facility

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...lity/10597184/

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...team/10597215/

It sounds like they are looking to remain flexible as they are using the new facility for F2/F3. I can imagine if they find entry into F1 then either that is an existing team with existing facilities or if they get a new entry they maybe move F1 into this facility and F2/F3 share or are moved elsewhere.

As to them buying Renault/Alpine team, I swear I saw a rumor somewhere just yesterday that was speculating they were in the hunt for RB (Marko saying multiple groups interested in buying RB). Lots of rumors, who knows which are true.

Richard
Old 10 Apr 2024, 17:53 (Ref:4204511)   #378
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
Articles about the Andretti Silverstone facility

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...lity/10597184/

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...team/10597215/

It sounds like they are looking to remain flexible as they are using the new facility for F2/F3. I can imagine if they find entry into F1 then either that is an existing team with existing facilities or if they get a new entry they maybe move F1 into this facility and F2/F3 share or are moved elsewhere.

As to them buying Renault/Alpine team, I swear I saw a rumor somewhere just yesterday that was speculating they were in the hunt for RB (Marko saying multiple groups interested in buying RB). Lots of rumors, who knows which are true.

Richard

PlanetF1 had this about RB.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/potent...-marko-rb-sale
Old 10 Apr 2024, 19:07 (Ref:4204517)   #379
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Yes, that is it. Thanks.

Richard
Old 10 Apr 2024, 20:07 (Ref:4204526)   #380
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
dont want to see RB being snapped up by a manu so if Andretti could somehow take it over and hold on to some of that independent/privateer identity that would be great imo.

also dont want to see Renault/Alpine go the way of space for hire team, offering up a badging opportunity to any manu with a new advertising campaign on the horizon. if sold, i hope their new owners keep the Renault engine connection in a tangible way.

in a way its good that the teams have all become more valuable and F1 is more popular, but i guess this is the ugly side of it.

FOM needs a better plan imo in how they will handle all this new found value and attention. more so because they do actually seem like they want to stay involved with F1 and motorsports for the foreseeable future.
Old 10 Apr 2024, 21:07 (Ref:4204533)   #381
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Yeah - that's what they're saying but only if they get the F1 entry. I'd have thought that if the bucks are there (which they appear to be) then it would make sense to get going with the F3/F2 straight away - having it all running with the existing FE team under one roof. That would start to build a base of young drivers from the US, getting closer to readiness for F1.

Michael alludes to US drivers supposedly not getting the same treatment in F3 & F2 as euro drivers (personally think that he's talking rubbish on that score) and if he REALLY believes that, then what better way to "fix" that by having Andretti teams in F3 / F2 ASAP and get some US drivers used to the european tracks and the depth of competition from all around the world that comes and races in Europe?
Old 10 Apr 2024, 21:32 (Ref:4204537)   #382
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Surely Amdretti will be up for running the WEC Caddys in place of Ganassi? Out of there?
Good way to keep the F1 aspirations alive between the two parties.
Old 11 Apr 2024, 14:52 (Ref:4204630)   #383
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interesting option there
Old Yesterday, 21:01 (Ref:4207221)   #384
Richard C
Veteran

Andretti is working the anti-trust angle. They have found a bipartisan group of US Congress members to send a letter to Liberty regarding Andretti's exclusion including bringing up the potential that this may not be inline with the US Sherman Antitrust Act. I can imagine the timing of this (lead up to Miami GP) is purposeful.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/statu...520123277?s=61

Richard
Old Yesterday, 21:54 (Ref:4207227)   #385
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eventually, this could make it's way right in front of the EU, with the same questions being asked.

Nice move, Stefano... you too, Toto.
Old Today, 00:06 (Ref:4207234)   #386
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
I guess that the statement from the US representatives will either be the start of something bigger or achieve nothing at all. Interesting move.

Much of what is said in the statement refers to US companies (GM specifically) not being able to compete against rivals. The logic fail in that of course is that Ford is able to do so with RBR and GM could do so too - once it has an engine in 2028 of course (whether that engine be in an Andretti car or another team's car).

Also interesting that most, if not all of the questions asked have already been answered in the FOM rejection statement - maybe the Congress members are unaware of that document? Maybe they are also unaware that it indicates the answer would be different for 2028 once Caddy has its own engine?

The Autosport article about this includes an approach to FOM, which referred the reporter to the rejection statement.

What might become of all this with international businesses and US lawmakers I don't know - Liberty is clearly a US company but I believe that the Formula One group companies are registered in Jersey, Luxembourg & the UK.

Maybe the next thing we'll have is one of the existing teams approaching the EU complaining that a new team within the current Concorde Agreement would impact too much on its revenue and put many jobs at risk?

Then we'd have blowhard politicians from both sides of the Atlantic beating their chests.
Old Today, 01:06 (Ref:4207237)   #387
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
I guess that the statement from the US representatives will either be the start of something bigger or achieve nothing at all. Interesting move.
It was the anticipated move. Everyone felt there were clear anti-trust issues with this? It's effectively closed off. The response from FOM didn't do them any favors as it was blatantly biased. Based upon their justification a number of the existing teams don't belong in F1.

Quote:
Much of what is said in the statement refers to US companies (GM specifically) not being able to compete against rivals. The logic fail in that of course is that Ford is able to do so with RBR and GM could do so too - once it has an engine in 2028 of course (whether that engine be in an Andretti car or another team's car).
Of course repeating the FOM position really doesn't address the issues that Andretti and GM bring up in the letter. Of course for FOM it's a closed issue. As we all know the answer was... No to Andretti and GM, we would love to see you... with an existing team. And of course the 2028 aspect is pure fiction and nothing more than a delaying tactic to push the problem far enough into the future that Andretti and GM has moved onto other things. So the FOM logic doesn't make any sense at all. I mean nobody in their right mind would believe the "try again" answer.

Quote:
Also interesting that most, if not all of the questions asked have already been answered in the FOM rejection statement - maybe the Congress members are unaware of that document? Maybe they are also unaware that it indicates the answer would be different for 2028 once Caddy has its own engine?
You say "would" be different for 2028. There is zero evidence of that (see above). And I assume you are joking that the FOM response is somehow not part of this? It would be at the heart of it (see earlier comments).

Quote:
Maybe the next thing we'll have is one of the existing teams approaching the EU complaining that a new team within the current Concorde Agreement would impact too much on its revenue and put many jobs at risk?

Then we'd have blowhard politicians from both sides of the Atlantic beating their chests.
It's probably hard to build your arguments on a foundation of monopolistic behavior. It's not a good look and not particularly defensible.

What do I think will happen with this? Probably nothing. Probably just continue to be a thorn in the side of F1. It just seems to depend upon it getting any traction in the US political sphere. It if does, then maybe something might come of it. And I expect the next Concorde Agreement will double down and instead of revising the process to allow new teams, they will remove that all together and just fix the team count at 10. And this is already reported as being the direction. I do think that does create more anti-trust issues for the future however.

Richard
Old Today, 01:49 (Ref:4207239)   #388
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
What do I think will happen with this? Probably nothing. Probably just continue to be a thorn in the side of F1. It just seems to depend upon it getting any traction in the US political sphere. It if does, then maybe something might come of it. And I expect the next Concorde Agreement will double down and instead of revising the process to allow new teams, they will remove that all together and just fix the team count at 10. And this is already reported as being the direction. I do think that does create more anti-trust issues for the future however.
I suspect (but hope I'm wrong) that you may be correct re capping at 10 teams in the next Concorde Agreement.

Re anti-trust, how does it work in the US with sports such as NFL & NHL? Don't they use a franchise model that restricts the number of teams?
Old Today, 02:43 (Ref:4207241)   #389
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Re anti-trust, how does it work in the US with sports such as NFL & NHL? Don't they use a franchise model that restricts the number of teams?
I really don't follow the big US sports such as American Football, Baseball, Basketball, etc. I do think they occasionally bump up against anti-trust laws. The Sherman Act is quite old (created in 1890). I believe there was an explicit exception created by law for Baseball (There is a saying here... "As American as Baseball, Hot-dogs, Apple Pie and Chevrolet"). So don't mess with Baseball! I think the NFL was given an exception to negotiate broadcast rights for all teams collectively.

NFL has 32 clubs (newest in 1993), NBA has 30 team (newest in 2004), NHL has 32 teams (newest this year?). Someone who follows this stuff can comment. I really don't know the history.

Overall, I expect they don't run into trouble as there is a process for new teams, a large number of teams and while the requirements are probably generally high (probably even financially higher than the F1 anti-dilution fee), they are achievable. The controlling organizations are not actively working to prevent any new entries as F1 is. If someone wanted to create a new team it probably wouldn't be anywhere as difficult as it is within F1. F1's problem is they say they are structured for 12 teams, but are at 10. Define objective requirements (like the anti-dilution fee, etc.) which were met by Andretti/GM, but also have very squishy subjective requirements that feel quite random and arbitrary. So the exclusion (particularly the published reasoning) of someone such as Andretti smells very much like Sherman Antitrust issues. Particularly collusion to prevent competition and the subjective and arbitrary nature of if you allowed in/out. It also doesn't help F1's case that FIA gave Andretti/GM a thumbs up.

As to the political side of this. The FOM reasoning likely will get little or no traction here in the US. They effectively said Andretti had no marketing value (which doesn't fly here because it's clearly wrong) and as Andretti is a partner with GM, GM ended up being painted poorly by association (remember that "Chevrolet" (GM) is right up there with Baseball, Hot-dogs and Apple pie!) . Layer on top of this, that it is a US company with someone like Stefano Domenicali as CEO of F1. Right, wrong, fair, unfair, nationalistic or not messaging from Domenicali as a non-American, falls on deaf ears. He just comes across as a European protecting European interests. Particularly European commercial interests. This is why there is a potential for the anti-trust angle to get traction here. However I don't hold much hope.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; Today at 02:49.
Old Today, 06:04 (Ref:4207245)   #390
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Andretti has been making and starring in political ads for his local candidate from the Andretti Global headquarters for some time now.

Why do they think forcing people to be your friend will make you their friend?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old Today, 06:35 (Ref:4207250)   #391
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Old Today, 06:51 (Ref:4207251)   #392
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
There are no friends as such in F1.The teams behave with more animosity to close rivals and less to those far beneath them in the championship and that's about as close as it gets.It is a form of ritualised battle and keeping potential opponents from appearing means one less outfit to beat and more money to share round.

Slighting an American institution like GM won't be well received by politicians whose electors may well have connections with GM and limiting American participation is unlikely to be well received by this group-in spite of the occasional "World Series" on home ground that is named after a newspaper and not as a reflection of it's global status.I have no idea what sanctions are available to those charged with the duty of preventing restraint of trade but it wouldn't be a shock to see indignation stoked up a bit with a view to imposing some kind of penalty on Liberty in their home country.I don't suppose too large a proportion of the American public is aware that GM is quite a bit less significant globally than was once the case,in spite of it's iconic local status,and it remains a big business by most metrics.
Old Today, 10:24 (Ref:4207266)   #393
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Mr Andretti has been making and starring in political ads for his local candidate from the Andretti Global headquarters for some time now.

Having made so many ill-advised moves to try to get into F1, why would they change habits now?