Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 20 Sep 2005, 08:05 (Ref:1411981)   #26
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Dry run to deal with a Group of 7 Grand Prix???
Old 20 Sep 2005, 11:14 (Ref:1412090)   #27
Hapul
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Hapul should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Throwing all patriotism out the window, I say australia doesn't deserve a round of the series.

Would you value a round at E.C (syd.) or would it be just as good elsewhere (I mean overseas)?

"So, do you just go for anything red, Russell?"
-M Skaife
Old 20 Sep 2005, 12:04 (Ref:1412135)   #28
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1 is in fact a trademark, but not in Australia.
www.a1.net (remember the A1-Ring?) - so if they aren't complaining then I don't see what anyone else should have to complain about.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 13:03 (Ref:1412182)   #29
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapul
Throwing all patriotism out the window, I say australia doesn't deserve a round of the series.

Would you value a round at E.C (syd.) or would it be just as good elsewhere (I mean overseas)?
It comes down to money, Eastern Creek and Alan Jones have come up trumps. And getting in early has a lot to do with it. Surely Australia couldn't have gone without having a round for promotional purposes and marketing value etc etc. And im sure A1GP realised its concept might be better off in Australia than some other countries.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 14:57 (Ref:1412258)   #30
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
A1 is in fact a trademark, but not in Australia.
www.a1.net (remember the A1-Ring?) - so if they aren't complaining then I don't see what anyone else should have to complain about.
Free publicity. So why would they complain?
Old 20 Sep 2005, 17:19 (Ref:1412397)   #31
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
Extramsn. 15/9/05. personal interview with news talk zb Shiek said, aand article is headed up"A1 Shiek aims to topple F1".In Australia the AGP corparation will win thier case if they continue to use A1GP in relation to asingle seater car race.What has happened to f1 boat racing once the Shiek lost interest and went looking for another play thing
What about GP2? I stand to be corrected but doesn't the initials 'GP' mean Grand Prix? GP2 is a single seater championship sanctioned by the FIA like A1GP.

In an interview today the Shiek has said that he is not in competition with F1.
Old 20 Sep 2005, 22:57 (Ref:1412678)   #32
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
Extramsn. 15/9/05. personal interview with news talk zb Shiek said, aand article is headed up"A1 Shiek aims to topple F1".In Australia the AGP corparation will win thier case if they continue to use A1GP in relation to asingle seater car race.What has happened to f1 boat racing once the Shiek lost interest and went looking for another play thing
Ah, not quite, Grumpy. Their is already a precedent in place back from the first Indy on the Gold Coast. Remember how it was originally called the Indy GP? Well the Adelaide GP people went after them only to find out that they had as much claim to that trademark as anyone. Hell, even Red Bull have used the word for their charity billycart race.
Old 21 Sep 2005, 08:44 (Ref:1412900)   #33
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Easy fix,just call it the AAA1GP.

Isn't this just an Aussie thing,as you won't find Burger King there because someone else has flogged the name and trademarked it.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 00:54 (Ref:1413575)   #34
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
Easy fix,just call it the AAA1GP.

Isn't this just an Aussie thing,as you won't find Burger King there because someone else has flogged the name and trademarked it.
Actually, I think it was the Australian franchisee who did that! They had a big fight about it in the Supreme Court of New South Wales about 10 years ago - went to the Court of Appeal, IIRC.

IMO, even if the term "Grand Prix" is not trade marked in Australia, and I'm going to assume that it is not based upon people's posts above, the question is whether the ordinary person is likely to be misled or deceived into thinking that the A1GP, based on its use of "Grand Prix", is affiliated, sponsored by or endorsed by the Australian Grand Prix Corporation. People have cited the use of "Grand Prix" in respect of the motorbikes at Phillip Island, but remember that the AGPC also is the promoter of that event.

Having thought about it, I'm not surprised that Ron is taking this action. People might see the A1GP race and think it is being promoted by the AGPC or it is somehow affiliated with the Formula One Grand Prix in Melbourne. Depending on the evidence that would be produced at trial, it might have some legs, though ultimately, I don't really see it being successful as I think the A1GP promoters can point to the advertising they've done, etc., that shows it is a different event from those promoted by the AGPC.

Observing how Ron Walker operates, I wouldn't be surprised if there is an ulterior motive behind this and the legal action is being taken as a leverage.
Old 22 Sep 2005, 04:27 (Ref:1413614)   #35
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has no legs at all. It's the same fight the Adelaide GP Corp. had with the Gold Coast Indy 15 years ago. That went nowhere then just as this will not get past being one of "Big Red's" temper tantrums (or dodgy gurillea marketing, which ever way you look at it).