Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 19 Jun 2003, 11:45 (Ref:636501)   #1
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Diesel exhaust

My camper van's just failed its MOT on the exhaust, which has finally given me a catalyst to go get a nice shiny stainless replacement. I've been given a quote of £200 for a Powerflow exhaust from Topgear in Burnley which I think is reasonable. Now, should I go for a slightly wider bore than standard? It's to go on a 2.0 Perkins Prima diesel engine, which is currently a little down on power to how it should be. Would a slightly tuned exhaust make much of a difference to a diesel?
Old 19 Jun 2003, 11:59 (Ref:636514)   #2
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well it certainly won't make it any louder...
Old 19 Jun 2003, 20:58 (Ref:636998)   #3
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure, but I would say probably not. Not that I know.
Old 19 Jun 2003, 22:59 (Ref:637107)   #4
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MINE is a Powerflow exhaust from TopGear Burnley..
top place, top bloke, but boy is my exhaut LOUD.

i went for largest bore, straight through all the way etc.

Im not sure what it will be like with a diesel, but tbh i'll be glad to get rid of mine and escape an ear ache.

Performance wise, it will shift the powerband further up, meaning it will need more revs and might be slightly dosile at low revs but should be better higher up.

my mate also had a Powerflow exhaust fitted, it sounded nice but it spoiled the sound of his expensive music system.
Old 19 Jun 2003, 23:46 (Ref:637142)   #5
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now here's a related question that I've always wanted to know the answer for - not always but often, diesel exhausts droop downwards to the ground whereas petrol ones are always straight. Why do exhausts on diesels droop??
Old 20 Jun 2003, 01:49 (Ref:637184)   #6
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
some petrols droop down too. like my new car.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 03:32 (Ref:637206)   #7
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is the engine a turbo diesel - in which case a less restrictive exhaust could be quite an advantage?
Old 20 Jun 2003, 09:12 (Ref:637364)   #8
Maisie
Veteran

Nope, not a turbo. I don't want anything massively overbore, or loud (as garcon says, the engine's loud enough, in a really endearing daggadaggadagga sort of way ), the main object is to look a little better against the paint job than the current rather sad and rusty effort! However, a little performance increase would be nice.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 09:25 (Ref:637374)   #9
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do it,due to the higher compression ratios in a diesel they actually have a larger volume of gas to shift a bigger bore exhaust will certainly give an increase in power,but don't go to large or it may make it drone a bit without putting a extra muffler in.

I went from a 2inch to a 2 1/2 inch on my 2.3 litre SD23 Nissan and got a definite boost in midrange,you can also buy Headers/extractors off the shelf for a lot of diesels and the exhaust guys tell me diesels show a bigger percentage gain in power than a equivalent size petrol with these mods,they also respond well do a large airbox especially if you can duct cold air into it.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 09:30 (Ref:637380)   #10
Maisie
Veteran

Cool, cheers Right, I'll book the appointment to have it done and ask a little more about it when I get a minute today. Then I need to get the engine working properly, ie to get rid of whatever problem (compression?) is leaving it woefully down on power at the mo, and maybe get an uprated air filter.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 16:19 (Ref:637763)   #11
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Warwick
Do it,due to the higher compression ratios in a diesel they actually have a larger volume of gas to shift
Compression ratio has nothing to do with airflow requirements. The amount of air an engine can breathe is purely a function of the pressure difference between the cylinder & the air inlet. As this pressure difference is produced by the increase in cylinder volume during the induction stroke it's the same for any given swept volume irrespective of the thermodynamic cycle. Assuming an ideal Otto cycle, for a given engine speed a diesel will move just as much air a petrol engine; the difference is that, under low-load conditions the petrol engine will be throttled while the diesel is not.

The maximum airflow rate for a diesel will be significantly less than for a similar-sized petrol engine as, due to limitations of the combustion process, the maximum engine speed of a diesel is much lower than for a petrol engine.
Old 21 Jun 2003, 00:57 (Ref:638130)   #12
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
Now here's a related question that I've always wanted to know the answer for - not always but often, diesel exhausts droop downwards to the ground whereas petrol ones are always straight. Why do exhausts on diesels droop??
Possibly to direct the gases away from the surrounding paint on bootlids and rear of the vehicle which stain and discolour the paintwork?
Old 21 Jun 2003, 02:12 (Ref:638147)   #13
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting Dave,wrong assumptions on my part,I was thinking of it as stuffing more air in a smaller space but its the same amount of air but compressing it more?