Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Jul 2012, 21:48 (Ref:3105790)   #2226
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
So then is it probable that Toyota races in the WRC and WEC. Otherwise they would just be losing out to VW group regardless of what series they run.
I do see a gain in running both series .
WEC to promote Hybrid technology and WRC to promote a selected model.

The most likely high profile race series, i see Lexus in, is DTM, battling with their main market competition of Audi, Mercedes and BMW. (a discussion for the DTM part of the forum, of course)

Last edited by CTD; 12 Jul 2012 at 22:09. Reason: Securing no further off topic.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3105801)   #2227
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
toyota could enter in DTM only if wants to promote a car in the german market. Outside germany DTM hasn't a great media coverage.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 22:34 (Ref:3105819)   #2228
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
toyota could enter in DTM only if wants to promote a car in the german market. Outside germany DTM hasn't a great media coverage.
I was in Munich back in June and I do not remember seeing a single Lexus. Do they even sell Lexus in Germany.

Edit: they have a "website". Well then they need all the brand exposure they can get.
Old 12 Jul 2012, 23:50 (Ref:3105833)   #2229
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
There's a performance Lexus that's being worked on by TMG in Cologne, and the car is supposed to be branded as a TMG edition Lexus, or as a TMG product in and of itself.

Considering how much motorsports work that they do, it overshadows the fact that Toyota Motorsport GmbH is also a Toyota/Lexus tuning company, too.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 00:02 (Ref:3105836)   #2230
alexkiller8
Veteran

a lmp1 program, a SGT program, a future WRC program, a possible DTM program... maybe too much, even for the most important automotive manufacturer in the world.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 00:12 (Ref:3105837)   #2231
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think they shiuld stick to things that have more international coverage and locations. like WEC and perhaps WRC.
Toyota will always race in Super GT in the same way that Audi will always race in DTM in the same way that the American manufacturers always race in Nascar.

I dont believe the Lexus DTM program is that high on the list. Unless the series plans on changing names because Duetsche Tourenwagen a Lexus is not......
Old 13 Jul 2012, 14:27 (Ref:3106041)   #2232
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
I was in Munich back in June and I do not remember seeing a single Lexus. Do they even sell Lexus in Germany.

Edit: they have a "website". Well then they need all the brand exposure they can get.
I live in Germany, and they're actually a fairly regular sight.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 14:34 (Ref:3106045)   #2233
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
a lmp1 program, a SGT program, a future WRC program, a possible DTM program... maybe too much, even for the most important automotive manufacturer in the world.
A LMP1 program, a DTM program, a GT3 program, an IRC program, a future WRC program, a future WTCC program...maybe too much for a company like Volkswagen.

But Toyota entering WRC? Sorry, but the series has devolved more and more into a joke. A customer car for the IRC might be possible, but that's all. WRC isn't what it used to be 10 years ago.

But Toyota entering DTM? Nah, TMG's resources are perhaps completely streched out with their LMP1.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 14:41 (Ref:3106052)   #2234
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
A LMP1 program, a DTM program, a GT3 program, an IRC program, a future WRC program, a future WTCC program...maybe too much for a company like Volkswagen.

But Toyota entering WRC? Sorry, but the series has devolved more and more into a joke. A customer car for the IRC might be possible, but that's all. WRC isn't what it used to be 10 years ago.

But Toyota entering DTM? Nah, TMG's resources are perhaps completely streched out with their LMP1.
Well, VW enters WRC, so there must be something there .

And my comment about Lexus and DTM, was not to raise a discussion in this forum, but only a comment on where they might have the biggest PR success for the brand. I would love to discuss this - in a DTM thread, not here.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 14:47 (Ref:3106055)   #2235
alexkiller8
Veteran

is really different, is true that audi and porsche are part of VW holding but they are car manufacters with a good amount of freedom and autonomy. To explain, audi use their sport section (audi sport) to support autonomously their lmp1, dtm and gt3 official/customer programs, surely VW has some influence on audi managment, but i don't think that VW supports audi sport economicly. The same can be said for porsche. While speaking about toyota, TMG (lmp1 program) and TRD (SGT, WRC) are not different brand/manufacters owned by toyota, but simply sport sections of toyota.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 17:03 (Ref:3106080)   #2236
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I do see a gain in running both series .
WEC to promote Hybrid technology and WRC to promote a selected model.

The most likely high profile race series, i see Lexus in, is DTM, battling with their main market competition of Audi, Mercedes and BMW. (a discussion for the DTM part of the forum, of course)
You must not forget about the negotiations between Super GT and DTM to unify regulations. If this happens surely Japanese brands will be in the DTM and Germany brands will be in Super GT. And possibly all of these brands make feasible the DTM USA.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 17:05 (Ref:3106081)   #2237
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
And possibly all of these brands make feasible the DTM USA.
And perhaps the Americans will get involved in entering a chassis in Europe ?
Old 13 Jul 2012, 17:52 (Ref:3106091)   #2238
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
And possibly all of these brands make feasible the DTM USA.
Or, maybe they could compete in Grand-Am in both DP and GT classes.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 18:00 (Ref:3106095)   #2239
alexkiller8
Veteran

don't hope so much in this... japanese manufacters will never accept to use an european shared chassis for their cars, while german manufacters won't accept newcoming manufacters that want to use a different chassis and not the one shared by bmw, audi and mercedes. Also about engines, japanese manufacters don't agree to use a 4.0 V8.
Very probably maybe JAF will let DTM cars to run in GT500, knowing that dtm cars won't never be fast like the GT500 (some years ago, JAF let run GT1 cars like dbr9, murcielago R-GT in GT500 for the same reason)

About ADTM (A as american) don't trust even here... it's about 2 years that rumors talk about this serie and for now is just a vaporware.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 18:33 (Ref:3106104)   #2240
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Can we please take the DTM discussion to a DTM thread!?.
I'm sorry i ever mentioned it, but this is just too much OT, IMO.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 20:11 (Ref:3106144)   #2241
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
TMG facilities 'stretched out'? I laughed at that a little. They're LMP program took a back seat to others using the facilities. It obviously still has yet to take 'full advantage', at least with the amount of time spent 'using up' all of the facilities. PURE is using it for their F1 engine, so we know numerous projects are going on. The WRC might be a customer thing as well.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 23:07 (Ref:3106197)   #2242
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
I live in Germany, and they're actually a fairly regular sight.
What part?

Regular sighting in Germany is a BMW, Audi, Mercedes(the car and the Taxi), Renault,VW, Skoda, and maybe Opel.(Porsche as well) That is what I deemed regular. There is no way I completely missed seeing Lexus' if they are as regularly seen as the cars I just mentioned.
Old 18 Jul 2012, 09:24 (Ref:3107893)   #2243
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
interesting Graham Goodwin (dsceditor) tweets:

"News coming later this week of a returnee to LMP racing - and a new addition to the LMP2 engine roster"

"Dunno - manufacturer rather than team news coming"
Old 18 Jul 2012, 10:12 (Ref:3107912)   #2244
Puzzle
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
Puzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
surely this is implying Nissan is coming back they have had such a large footprint in lmp racing lately and honda have been a little too involved to be described as returning. of all the makes I can think of it that could return to sports cars it just seems by far the most likely unless this is more Porsche news but then seeing as that has been out in the open for a while why would he not just say that more porsche news is coming?
Old 18 Jul 2012, 11:45 (Ref:3107942)   #2245
steeb58
Rookie

steeb58 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bentley Rumors

As posted elsewhere, saw over the weekend that team principal for Nigeria Racing Eagles announced the team will switch from Audi to Bentley for 2014 GT series. Plans seemed legit, but since then have seen nothing to confirm this. Not clear which GT series either. Any informed speculation?
Old 18 Jul 2012, 12:01 (Ref:3107952)   #2246
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzle View Post
surely this is implying Nissan is coming back they have had such a large footprint in lmp racing lately and honda have been a little too involved to be described as returning. of all the makes I can think of it that could return to sports cars it just seems by far the most likely unless this is more Porsche news but then seeing as that has been out in the open for a while why would he not just say that more porsche news is coming?
Hmm one problem with Nissan and Honda...
They are already supplying engines to LMP2.
Nissan could be the team that is mentioned, but i do not thing Graham would announce an increase of involvement as a "return" for Honda.

I'm expecting a normal (thats non car manufacture) team returning, and a new "manufacture" engine, like the BMW Judd engine.

That - or Peugeot returning in LMP1 and supplying a Diesel Lmp2 engine! (90% joking, 10% serious about the Lmp2 engine, but more as a WR project)
Old 18 Jul 2012, 12:07 (Ref:3107954)   #2247
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post

"News coming later this week of a returnee to LMP racing - and a new addition to the LMP2 engine roster"

That's one way to push the listenership for today's MWM.
Old 18 Jul 2012, 12:16 (Ref:3107963)   #2248
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post

So is the returnee team a separate item than the new LMP2 engine?

I would guess the engine is a GTE lump - probably the Aston.
Old 18 Jul 2012, 13:50 (Ref:3108007)   #2249
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we will see in a couple of days
Old 18 Jul 2012, 13:53 (Ref:3108008)   #2250
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
So is the returnee team a separate item than the new LMP2 engine?
It sounds like the new LMP2 engine supplier IS the LMP-racing returnee. Ford?