Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 11 Nov 2008, 12:43 (Ref:2333072)   #1
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
A Ron Dennis Comment .

Guys ..... my bro showed me something a couple of days ago . It was an interview with Ron Dennis , and he was talking about how he intends to take a step back from F1 .

He was also talking about the need for McLaren to produce a sportscar , road car he did mention . But then he added that the car would have a V10 and would be built into a race car .

He didnt mention any particular series . But Im kinda thinking that his big interest is in going back to Le Mans ?

Anybody else hear anything about that ?

I wonder could his intended engine be a Benz unit ?
Old 11 Nov 2008, 12:47 (Ref:2333073)   #2
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger

I wonder could his intended engine be a Benz unit ?
Ilmor with the Benz name on it
Old 11 Nov 2008, 12:52 (Ref:2333074)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
It would be great to see a real McLaren on the racetrack again F1 is not really my cup of tea and I have great memories of a wet night in June many years ago and an outstanding race by a car that had no right to win but forgot to read the rules. Lets hope Ron Dennis will turn his attention to racing cars that at least bear a resemblance to those the wealth car drive and the rest of us stare at with jealouse longings.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 13:24 (Ref:2333095)   #4
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
LeMans.pt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Mclaren F1 GTR was amazing, but what i really would love to see was a return to the sport-prototype class. How about a Mclaren LMP?
Old 11 Nov 2008, 13:49 (Ref:2333113)   #5
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
From what i remember , it didnt mention LMP , but could you imagine McLaren not playing at the top of their game ?
Old 11 Nov 2008, 14:03 (Ref:2333118)   #6
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
"not the sort of challenge that I like"
Old 11 Nov 2008, 14:04 (Ref:2333121)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm ing at the possibility already...........

Quote:
There's no race,they all suddenly realize that survival is the important thing."
He clearly didn't see much of this year's race.......

Last edited by Aysedasi; 11 Nov 2008 at 14:06.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 14:12 (Ref:2333125)   #8
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis
I like this quote:

"All Formula One teams that have raced in Le Mans note that it is costly, however, which is ironic coming from participants in the world's richest sport. "You need lots of money to do it well (in the LM24)," said Patrick Head, a part owner and director of the Williams F1 team."
Old 11 Nov 2008, 14:18 (Ref:2333131)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Now let's see, what loose change do I have in my pocket? Yep, that should be enough........
Old 11 Nov 2008, 14:26 (Ref:2333132)   #10
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The sound of that glorius BMW V12, and the sight of a streetsportscar racing down the Mulsanne stright, with that big old wing bolted to it
Old 11 Nov 2008, 14:29 (Ref:2333134)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Close to perfection, IMO......
Old 11 Nov 2008, 14:36 (Ref:2333138)   #12
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
He clearly didn't see much of this year's race.......
He has point though, like it or not.

now this will probably end up like this thread: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107474
Old 11 Nov 2008, 16:23 (Ref:2333177)   #13
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A McLaren LMP would be a great project. It would also be interesting as a sidenote to see how McLaren's F1 drivers would do in an LMP1. Due to schedule problems I doubt we will see a McLaren with drivers Hamilton/Kovalainen/De La Rosa at Le Mans but it would be good interesting. I don't see Lewis's skill set working excellently at Le Mans, but for some reason I think Heikki is a great fit for Le Mans.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 18:51 (Ref:2333271)   #14
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
It would also be interesting as a sidenote to see how McLaren's F1 drivers would do in an LMP1
Naa , we need a few smiles in the paddock mate !!!
Old 11 Nov 2008, 21:05 (Ref:2333354)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Ilmor with the Benz name on it
You could be a Brit with that level of cynical disregard. Ilmor does not exist anymore (well there is now a new Ilmor Engineering from a small breakaway part). He aint there and the company, Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines, is solely owned by Mercedes-Benz.

I don't see Ron's comments hinting anything at Le Mans really. Still cue the usual F1 v Sportscar irrelevance

However, I agree it would be great. '95 was great, and what a fantastic car. The ultimate road car and winner at Le Mans. Wow.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 21:13 (Ref:2333360)   #16
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
McLaren is planning a new supercar but no engine or other parts from Mercedes.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 21:15 (Ref:2333361)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Do you have a source?
Old 11 Nov 2008, 21:35 (Ref:2333379)   #18
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, the new McLaren supercar has no ties to Mercedes, they ended that part of the deal a while back.

Mercedes wants to build their own SLC Supercar, McLaren wants their P11 supercar.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 21:43 (Ref:2333387)   #19
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Do you have a source?
Yeah, its a wellknown fact by now. The car has been caught testing several times.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 21:45 (Ref:2333389)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I thought it was a suggestion that it might not have a Mercedes engine, not a fact?
Old 11 Nov 2008, 21:47 (Ref:2333392)   #21
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I thought it was a suggestion that it might not have a Mercedes engine, not a fact?
The powerplant has not been confirmed, you are right on that one.

But given the fact, that Mercedes owns more than Ron Dennis likes of Mclaren. I find it very hard to believe, that anyone else gets the chance..?
Old 11 Nov 2008, 21:47 (Ref:2333393)   #22
notguilty
Racer

notguilty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
please if they make an LMP it has to be at least once in its life be orange!
Old 11 Nov 2008, 21:51 (Ref:2333395)   #23
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by notguilty
please if they make an LMP it has to be at least once in its life be orange!
I agree, love the few times McLaren tested the F1 cars in orange. The last time was when they changed to the silver livery. Looked so nice.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 21:57 (Ref:2333402)   #24
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Ron and Manseour have final say in McLaren business. Something agreed with Barhrain and Mercedes Benz. There is a term for it, but I can't remember.

People may or may not choose to believe that, but having worked for the company, I can assure you Ron's blood is McLaren Rocket Red. Martin is the same.

Nothing has been confirmed re the engine. While it is true the partnership with the roadcar has been terminated between Mercedes and McLaren, that was more about building cars. It doesnt stop Mercedes AMG supplying the engined just as it does to Pagani, or indeed Force India.

I've heard a few third hand rumours about engines from another manufacture.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 21:57 (Ref:2333403)   #25
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If they do it, I hope it won't be with Mercedes (read: Haug) involvement. *shudders at the thought of LM 99*